Anyone Blaming This Loss On Anything Other Than Refs

CallawaySabres

Sorry, got to disagree. If Grier is truly one of our better players and one of our leaders, dont expect to win anything beyond a division title. He's old and slow like Rivet. Sure he's gritty, but not gritty enough in my opinion. He didn't come back to BUF because he thought we were honestly going to be a contender. He's back because no one else really wanted him that badly.

BTW, standing around watching the GWG in a decisive series game does not qualify as either talent or leadership. This team is ready for a roster bomb with him and Stafford pushing the button.

Really? Grier has to be one of their best players right now. Yes, he was probably the culprit for the GWG, but that doesn't mean you ship him out of town.

Besides, with the absence of leadership on this team, he's as close to 'leader' status as we've got. I'd take him back in a heartbeat next year.

+1

Watch the replay on the GWG and you'll see Mike Grier standing still about three feet away from Satan and actually watching Satan score. His legs never move. I already have my short list of guys that need to be shipped out...

Grier

Stafford

Connelly

Is that what Myers was doing? You could have fooled me. Watching the replay, I thought he might be getting ready to moon Satan? There I go again...breaking the moratorium on saying anything bad about Myers because he is only 20. :doh:

Blue's right. That's on Myers.

I have to put some of this on the officiating(the goaltender interference)but clearly we just are'nt good enough.Losers look for excuses.

Bottom line is that this team is not good enough to make a run to the Cup and when you pile a couple BS calls on top, This team is NOT good enough to overcome it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out my opinion that without the two in the beginning of the 3rd, this one is in the books with a W

Um, we are down 3-1 in the series. Let's not cry like friggin babies. In a 7 game series, the better team wins. If we are sooo much better than the Bruins, I guess we'll win the next 3. Blaming the friggin refs. C'mon. Your the one who probably ran home to your mama when you got a bad grade and blamed it on the teacher. Problem is: sounds like your mama believed you. MAN UP for God's sake. They scored 3 goals and beat us. :wallbash:

Um, we are down 3-1 in the series. Let's not cry like friggin babies. In a 7 game series, the better team wins. If we are sooo much better than the Bruins, I guess we'll win the next 3. Blaming the friggin refs. C'mon. Your the one who probably ran home to your mama when you got a bad grade and blamed it on the teacher. Problem is: sounds like your mama believed you. MAN UP for God's sake. They scored 3 goals and beat us. :wallbash:

I don't think many people think we are any better than the Bruins.....

Here is the worst part of all this. If you are a player on the Sabres, there is no reason for you to try harder next game. Even your coach is blaming the refs. In the coaches eyes you did everything you were supposed to do but the refs took it away from you.

This is crap. Kill the penalty and score on the GD powerplay. Someone skate to the front of the net and for the love of God shoot the F###### puck. They left more shots on the ice last night than I've seen in a long time.

I truly thought that when we got the first PP in OT that it was over and it should have been.

But no, it's the refs fault. Just keep playing the way you've been playing and the calls will eventually go our way. :wallbash:

I guess I realized last night, for the first time all year, that these guys just aren't good enough. The way Rask coughed up rebounds all night long any team that was even marginally good would have scored 6 goals, despite the refs bad calls.

I can hear Quinn already.......

Speaking of Quinn. What is his role in the organization? From what I can tell his background is in real estate development. Is he the obstacle between the Sabres and a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup?

Here is the worst part of all this. If you are a player on the Sabres, there is no reason for you to try harder next game. Even your coach is blaming the refs. In the coaches eyes you did everything you were supposed to do but the refs took it away from you.

This is crap. Kill the penalty and score on the GD powerplay. Someone skate to the front of the net and for the love of God shoot the F###### puck. They left more shots on the ice last night than I've seen in a long time.

I truly thought that when we got the first PP in OT that it was over and it should have been.

But no, it's the refs fault. Just keep playing the way you've been playing and the calls will eventually go our way. :wallbash:

Exactly.

Woe is us.

Horsecrap!

Horrible call against McCormick but it didn't cost the Sabres the game.

Miller adjusting after being squared up against Bergeron was worse, IMHO. The Sabres as a whole have been just that much worse than the B's in each of the last 3 and that is why they are down. The positive the Sabres have coming out of this is, while the B's beat them in games 2&3, the Sabres beat themselves in game 4. I can think of at least a 1/2 dozen little things the Sabres didn't do right in the last 50 minutes which added up to costing them the game. (McCormick putting himself in the position for the ref to make the horrible call w/ a 2 goal lead, Miller pulling off the post on the 2nd goal, Connolly hitting crossbar on pp, Stafford(?) firing over top of the net, giving up a short handed breakaway, too many men, Myers getting himself lost in the zone, Grier not switching over to covering Miro after Connolly picked up Ryder, Miller being too aggressive on Miro getting the puck (although, w/ Grier where he was, he probably thought there was no way Miro could do anything but shoot when the puck came to him; it still could have left a horrible rebound had Miro shot from there w/ 2 Bruins near Myers to Miller's left), I'm sure there were a few other "little" things that they could have done better) If they play with the intensity they did last night, but play with the mental focus they had in the 1st 2 periods they can come back and win this series.

The Bruins are what they are. The Sabres CAN play better than Boston and can win 3 straight. I wouldn't want to have my mortgage payment riding on it, but I would not be surprised to see 1 of the 3-1 series be won by the team that's trailing. I like Buffalo's chances better than that of the Otters or Habs and if the Phlyers are healthy I don't see Joisey coming back.

Speaking of Quinn. What is his role in the organization? From what I can tell his background is in real estate development. Is he the obstacle between the Sabres and a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup?

He's a "managing partner".

Nobody knows to the full extent what he does and doesn't do. Of course, he's Darcy's boss, but the general belief is that he sticks his nose in personnel decisions that normally fall under the GM's responsibilities.

Last summer he was quoted as saying, "The players told me Ruff is the guy they want coaching them", or something to that effect.

This more than indicates he sticks his nose where it doesn't belong regarding hockey decisions.

Buffalo played a VERY physical game and did everything they needed to do against a Dminded Boston team in Boston with a hot goaltender.

I am not pretending that this team is perfect and the top 6 are ANYTHING to be proud of but LAST NIGHT and last night only, Buffalo was robbed. Vent about this team as much as you want but that game was TAKEN from a team that fought VERY hard and I don't expect them to fade in game 5 either.

I hate to blame the officiating, but theres no denying it. WE WERE ROBBED. Point blank.

This team isn't good enough to overcome piss poor officiating, so yes, I'm mad. The refs handed the Bruins their comeback on a silver platter.

I hate to blame the officiating, but theres no denying it. WE WERE ROBBED. Point blank.

This team isn't good enough to overcome piss poor officiating, so yes, I'm mad. The refs handed the Bruins their comeback on a silver platter.

And it wouldn't have mattered if the Sabres had shown up in games 2 and 3.

Vanek hurt or not, these guys went up 2-0 in game 2, and then kicked it into auto-pilot thinking the Bruins were gonna roll over and hand the series to them.

He's a "managing partner".

Nobody knows to the full extent what he does and doesn't do. Of course, he's Darcy's boss, but the general belief is that he sticks his nose in personnel decisions that normally fall under the GM's responsibilities.

Last summer he was quoted as saying, "The players told me Ruff is the guy they want coaching them", or something to that effect.

This more than indicates he sticks his nose where it doesn't belong regarding hockey decisions.

Thanks. It seems to me then, that based on his title and minority ownership status, Quinn is nothing more than a glorified bean counter (and friend of the owner) whose skills are better suited to building strip malls and totally unrelated to building and molding a legitimate playoff contender.

And it wouldn't have mattered if the Sabres had shown up in games 2 and 3.

Vanek hurt or not, these guys went up 2-0 in game 2, and then kicked it into auto-pilot thinking the Bruins were gonna roll over and hand the series to them.

W/ all due respect, I disagree on this one. The team was visibly affected by the Vanek injury and simply didn't compete the rest of the game. I think it was the exact opposite of them expecting the Bruins to roll over.

W/ all due respect, I disagree on this one. The team was visibly affected by the Vanek injury and simply didn't compete the rest of the game. I think it was the exact opposite of them expecting the Bruins to roll over.

I really hope you're right, cause at this point I've seen this team get overconfident real quick way too many times.

But even if the Vanek injury shook them up that bad, that only proves their minds aren't where they're supposed to be.

Injuries happen, and yes, they also happen to your star players.

I really hope you're right, cause at this point I've seen this team get overconfident real quick way too many times.

But even if the Vanek injury shook them up that bad, that only proves their minds aren't where they're supposed to be.

Injuries happen, and yes, they also happen to your star players.

You won't get argument from me on that one.

That refers back to this team needing to have a "leader" on at least 1 of the top 2 lines. Darcy's done a reasonable job getting leadership back onto this squad but although there are guys that I would consider to be leaders on the 3/4 lines, on D, and between the pipes, the Sabres still need at least 1 more upgrade.

This is why Kerry Frasier and Bill Mccreary shouldnt have retired til after the playoffs... Sure, it may seem like they call more marginal penalties than any other ref ...but when it comes playoff time , ESPECIALLY overtime periods...they PUT THE WHISTLE AWAY and just let teams play for they're collective playoff lives.

This is why Kerry Frasier and Bill Mccreary shouldnt have retired til after the playoffs... Sure, it may seem like they call more marginal penalties than any other ref ...but when it comes playoff time , ESPECIALLY overtime periods...they PUT THE WHISTLE AWAY and just let teams play for they're collective playoff lives.

Which is a big part of the reason Frasier should have been punted long ago.

There were only 2 penalties called in OT. One of which would have been called by absolutely anyone, well, anyone not named Koharski. The TMM penalty would have been called by almost anyone. Having Frasier or McCreary would not have saved the Sabres from themselves.

Changing what is a penalty as a game goes on is stupid, as is changing what is a penalty based on whether it is regular season or not. When refs try to not call penalties because they "don't want to change the outcome of the game" or they "want the players to decide it", the refs almost always end up deciding it.

Archived