GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

When you sink to the level of your enemy, you become them.

There is nothing wrong in this team finally standing up for themselves. If the Sabres had a history of not allowing actions like last night to go unpunished they may have never happened.

It's sad and frustrating reading so many of these Pollyanna posts. So many that believe that the only level of toughness is goonism. There are many players in the NHL that have the heart and desire to defend their teammates who do not qualify as "goons." It should be a ingrained part of any player who puts on a Sabre jersey. From Gerbe to Gaustad every player should be responsible to respond when something happens on the ice.

I have to wonder what the ###### happened to the Sabre Fan? This used to be a fan based that was jealous of the Bruins and Flyers teams of the 70's and 80's and wanted a tough team to represent themselves and their City. Is this what happens when parents discipline their kids with time outs and schools are told they can't take chairs away in musical chairs? Maybe this team does represent the majority of fans today. It does not represent the remainder that still remembers that hockey is a physical game or this City.

Just because you keep saying that doesn't make it true, as well.

Are you saying he was trying to poke check the puck away? That play was pure Dale Hunter. There is no doubt in regards to intent. It deserved a penalty shot, a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. It also deserves a multiple game suspension. Unfortunately the NHL doesn't have adequate supplemental discipline so I doubt they will do anything.

Did you hear Lindy's comments? He said it wasn't a hockey play and he called it an intent to injure.

If I knew my team might meet them in the playoffs I might try to get their best defenseman suspended too.

If I knew my team might meet them in the playoffs I might try to get their best defenseman suspended too.

Because the league would listen to a coach and suspend a player? I know better, you know better and I would guess Lindy would know better. Ruff was just responding to a attempt of a player trying to injure his top goal scorer.

Are you saying he was trying to poke check the puck away? That play was pure Dale Hunter. There is no doubt in regards to intent. It deserved a penalty shot, a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. It also deserves a multiple game suspension. Unfortunately the NHL doesn't have adequate supplemental discipline so I doubt they will do anything.

Like I said before, He didn't hit him in the ankle or even on the foot. He hit the blade or the tower. Vanek did a nice job of selling it but his face didn't show a single bit of pain, well, not any more than his usual grimace.

There is nothing wrong in this team finally standing up for themselves. If the Sabres had a history of not allowing actions like last night to go unpunished they may have never happened.

It's sad and frustrating reading so many of these Pollyanna posts. So many that believe that the only level of toughness is goonism. There are many players in the NHL that have the heart and desire to defend their teammates who do not qualify as "goons." It should be a ingrained part of any player who puts on a Sabre jersey. From Gerbe to Gaustad every player should be responsible to respond when something happens on the ice.

I have to wonder what the ###### happened to the Sabre Fan? This used to be a fan based that was jealous of the Bruins and Flyers teams of the 70's and 80's and wanted a tough team to represent themselves and their City. Is this what happens when parents discipline their kids with time outs and schools are told they can't take chairs away in musical chairs? Maybe this team does represent the majority of fans today. It does not represent the remainder that still remembers that hockey is a physical game or this City.

It's true that there's nothing wrong with sticking up for yourselves. What I objected to was you not-so-subtly implying that we should have responded by cheap-shotting Alfredsson or Spezza. That would make us as bad as the Senators. Do you disagree? What did Alfredsson or Spezza ever do to deserve that?

I've probably watched more out of division, out of conference games this year than in most previous years. I think the avenging of run-ins is mostly in the fans minds of yore. With the post lock out rules, teams are penalized for responding. I just don't think it happens as much as people want to believe. If it isn't addressed immediately, it doesn't get addressed. I've read more out of town message boards as well. Every fan base seems to complain about the same things. Unaddressed cheap shots is probably within the top three topics next to uneven refereeing and the other teams play-by-play announcers.

In the Rangers game today, Staal crushed two different Flyers into the boards on what could have been called boarding but weren't. You know the kind, the face plant. No response from the big, bad Flyers. Are the Flyers soft?

"To me, that looked like a pretty clean hit," Ruff said. "It looked like he wanted to lower his head maybe and go inside, and I don't know if that was a good decision."

So does that change anyone's position? Ruff says "pretty clean hit". Should there be retribution on a "pretty clean hit"?

"To me, that looked like a pretty clean hit," Ruff said. "It looked like he wanted to lower his head maybe and go inside, and I don't know if that was a good decision."

So does that change anyone's position? Ruff says "pretty clean hit". Should there be retribution on a "pretty clean hit"?

Maybe not. That hit -- assuming it wasn't a headshot -- was the least of what Ottawa laid on the Sabres.

The other part of "responding" is initiating a hit like that. I saw at least two Sabres pull up on chances to deliver fairly devastating hits outside the Buffalo line. Why? (A Sabre also could have plowed the Ottawa goaltender from behind late in the game; you'd think that would be right up their alley.)

Maybe not. That hit -- assuming it wasn't a headshot -- was the least of what Ottawa laid on the Sabres.

The other part of "responding" is initiating a hit like that. I saw at least two Sabres pull up on chances to deliver fairly devastating hits outside the Buffalo line. Why? (A Sabre also could have plowed the Ottawa goaltender from behind late in the game; you'd think that would be right up their alley.)

Or his.

On a star player? Yes! Marty McSorely and Dave Semenko made a living off of that concept.

Do people really think it is a coincidence that Drury got knocked out, Miller got knocked out and Connoly twice got knocked out? With one highly publicized exception this team doesn't respond. Other teams know it.

Archived