Small forwards

nfreeman

OK, so even taking the last few games with a pinch of salt, it does look like Ennis will be ready for the NHL next year, and Gerbe might be as well. I'm guessing the Sabres make it past whatever 6-7-8 mediocrity they play in the first round and put up a good effort but lose to Pittsburgh or the Caps in the 2nd round. I'm also guessing that this will be enough to convince TG and LQ to bring back DR and LR, and to convince DR not to unload any of the "core" in the offseason. Where does that leave the forward ranks?

TC-Pommer-Hecht -- all under contract for next season, and all will end up with pretty good years this year. Ideally, this would be their #2 line, but it is what it is.

Roy-Vanek-Kennedy -- Roy and Vanek are under contract for next year. Kennedy is RFA, but he's not going anywhere. This line has looked pretty good since its formation. I think as long as Kennedy plays well, this line will stay together. This is also a pretty good #2 line.

Now it gets tricky. Will the Sabres re-create their 3rd line as a scoring line with the young smurfs? Maybe:

Ennis-Gerbe-Stafford -- Stafford has had a disappointing year, but maybe on a 3rd line (ie not facing the opposition's top 2 lines) with 2 fast, talented linemates, he could rediscover his mojo? Also, he's a UFA after next year, so he'll have plenty of motivation. On paper/screen I'm pretty intrigued about this as the #3 line.

Gaustad-Grier-Kaleta -- Gaustad is signed, while Grier is UFA and Kaleta is RFA. I think Grier is about 50% likely to return. I'd like him back, but I don't think the Sabres will offer him more than what he's getting now (1 year @ $1.2MM), and I'm sure he's hoping to get a 2-year deal in free agency. If Grier bails, then I'd guess the Sabres will re-sign Mair or Ellis (both of whom are UFAs) as a fallback. Kaleta is RFA, but he's not going anywhere. This is a very strong 4th line, with all 3 guys getting plenty of extra minutes on the PK.

There's a lot to like about these lines, but here are my concerns:

1. No new blood in the top 6, which played much of this year in a major funk. Still no blood-and-guts guy like Brenden Morrow or Ryan Kesler.

2. 5 of the top 9 are little guys (Pommer, Roy, Kennedy, Ennis and Gerbe), plus TC, who isn't a physical player. There will be even less of a physical presence than there is now. There will be plenty of times when the Sabres just get pushed around.

Thoughts?

Stafford is gone come draft day in my opinion. He just hasn't measured up to what they expect from him.

I agree, Vanek-Roy-Kennedy will be back together next season, but I too, am not sold on this as the 1st scoring line, it looked promising while they were together and Kennedy appears to feed off of Roy. Good signs so far, but lets see what a full season does for this combination.

The Hecht-Connolly-Pomminstein line. This is where it gets sticky to me. Hecht is not going to stay on this line with the way Ennis is playing with Pommers, these 2 have something going so far. How this works out next season. Do you insert Ennis in place of Connolly and build a new line around Connolly, in effect, having two, scoring line #2's? Many questions here and it will be interesting to see how Darcy and Lindy handle this.

Now onto the 3rd line. I think I stated in the Gerbe thread I started that I wasn't a fan of his at first, but I think he's up next season as the LW on line 3. Goose at center, now, that leaves RW. Grier? Maybe, but I think Kaleta or Mancari get a crack at it as well. Kaleta has proven he can put it in the net this season, granted he isn't knocking down 20 or 30 goals, I wonder if a Gerbe type player changes that?

The 4th line is really one that will baffle me. Don't know what to say on this one, we are missing a decent center for this line.

Defensively I think we say good bye to Lydman, hello Sekera/Weber full time. Gragnani to follow the following season in lieu of Montador/Rivet who I don't think neither of them get resigned.

One thing is for sure, it will be interesting next season to see the line up and what, if any, off season acquisitions the team makes.

Stafford is gone come draft day in my opinion.

What has this organization done to think this would ever be an option?

Grier? Maybe, but I think Kaleta or Mancari get a crack at it as well.

I honestly wish the words Mark Mancari would disappear from Sabres fans lexicon. He's done. While I don't hate him, the organization seems to. I guess it's because he's not under 5'10".

2. 5 of the top 9 are little guys (Pommer, Roy, Kennedy, Ennis and Gerbe), plus TC, who isn't a physical player.

Out of curiosity, why did you lump Pommer (6'0", 186 lbs) in with four guys under 5'10" and mostly (with the exception of Roy) under 175 lbs, while you separated TC (6'1", 191 lbs). Pommer doesn't play a physical game, but he's not a "little guy" either. He's just average.

While they won't get any taller, one would hope that Ennis and Kennedy will gain a little bulk when they finish puberty. Gerbe is actually pretty solid for his size, but he's just so short that it will always be a challenge for him.

On a side note, I was thinking about this the other day. With the new rule about hits to the head, which may get stronger in next year's full version (not this rushed in one), if we do go forward with this kind of team, it might be an advantage. Gerbe might not last a whole season, but he should be good for a major penalty per game based purely on geometry.

Out of curiosity, why did you lump Pommer (6'0", 186 lbs) in with four guys under 5'10" and mostly (with the exception of Roy) under 175 lbs, while you separated TC (6'1", 191 lbs). Pommer doesn't play a physical game, but he's not a "little guy" either. He's just average.

While they won't get any taller, one would hope that Ennis and Kennedy will gain a little bulk when they finish puberty. Gerbe is actually pretty solid for his size, but he's just so short that it will always be a challenge for him.

On a side note, I was thinking about this the other day. With the new rule about hits to the head, which may get stronger in next year's full version (not this rushed in one), if we do go forward with this kind of team, it might be an advantage. Gerbe might not last a whole season, but he should be good for a major penalty per game based purely on geometry.

Agreed, Pommers really shouldn't be thrown in with the 4 shorties. Next year we could try something like this:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Ennis-Connolly-Stafford

Hecht-Kennedy-Grier

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

This would at least spread the diminutive players out so that no more than 1 is on a line.

For what it's worth, Stafford is actually a RFA after next season.

You're right.

You're right about Pommer. I guess I just think of him as playing the small-guy game and arbitrarily made the cutoff between him and TC. I think though that characterizing him as average instead of a smurf doesn't change the concern about not enough physicality in the hypothetical top 9.

I like Jason's game but he's not exactly the second coming of Eric Cole who is similarly sized but plays a vastly different game. If he played on the ducks or flyers it wouldn't be a problem but he's too similar to the other scorers. That being said, I'll take him over connolly, vanek or stafford (obviously).

Agreed, Pommers really shouldn't be thrown in with the 4 shorties. Next year we could try something like this:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Ennis-Connolly-Stafford

Hecht-Kennedy-Grier

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

This would at least spread the diminutive players out so that no more than 1 is on a line.

I'm sure Lindy won't see it this way but in order to maximize Kennedy's play, he needs to be with scorers.

Alright, I'll play the game...

I like your first two lines. Timmy-Hecht-Pommer have played very well together this year, so keep it. Roy-Vanek-Kennedy was brought to life following the addition of Kennedy. Or maybe they brought Kennedy to life...either way, it has been fun to watch. We could always swap Ennis from the 3rd line with Kennedy if there's a slump.

Below that, I think we need to make some changes (which we all know we're not good at as an organization). Ennis will be on this line unless he swaps with Kennedy (I really like his play thus far, even though it's only been a few games). I don't expect Gerbe to be on the team next year. I'm just not sold. Stafford has been terrible this year, but I think Ennis can bring up his game, so I'm in on that. That leaves a blank...I'll come back to that.

As for the 4th line, you've got Goose and Kaleta. I'm pretty sure they'll sign one of the 4 4th line UFAs (Grier/Mair/Ellis/Torres), all of which would be a good fit for this line. It's a great 4th line IMO.

Now back to the blank spot on the 3rd line. Ennis can play wing or center, so we have options here. However, we are limited in our pipeline. Mancari had a good year in the AHL, but I'm not buying it. He's a 4th liner IMO. Luke Adam had a great season in the QMJHL, but I doubt he's ready. Not to mention, he didn't show up for the playoffs. I'm at a loss here. Unfortunately we'll probably fill the position with a 4th liner and Ennis and Stafford will suffer because of it. Besides, we need a reason to complain about something next year.

If DR is convinced that Ennis is ready to be in the NHL full time come October, trade Roy+pick+prospect for a center with size who is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer.

Actually, trade Roy in the offseason, no matter what the return is. Find the best deal and take it. Then while he is in the trading mood, dump Stafford.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, I am willing to give Vanek one more year.

Ennis-new center-Vanek

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

The other 6-8 forwards from below

Hecht

Kaleta

Ellis

Gaustad

Gerbe

Adam

Mancari

One or two FA

Out...Grier and Mair