HASEK TO THE RAFTERS!

bottlecap

hecame across like an ###### at the time, BUT darcy's ineptitude over the years (the trades for barnes and briere being notaqble exceptions) has completely vindicated hasek. i predict miller's exit will follow a similar pattern as hasek's.

this is twice darcy will have wasted all-world goaltending. you shouldn't even get two attempts to do that with the same team.

Its funny reading this thread that people are against Hasek, or atleast hold a grudge against the way he moved on, yet continue to praise and have man crushes on Peca, a guy who held out for an entire year before wanting out cause he wanted a better deal.

Its a no brainer, Hasek was one of the best goaltenders to play the game, he become a superstar playing in Buffalo, on a team that he had to carry. Retire his number in Buffalo, he was one of, if not the best player to every play in Buffalo, who cares how he left, I don't blame him. After a while its gets harder and harder to continue to have to carry a team on your back without management being willing to help you

He may have had the style of Kramer and played like gumby but he was fun to watch.He also changed the position in the fact that he absolutely never gave up on the play.So many of todays good young goalies play like that.Hasek brought that aspect to the position.Not sure if he deserves the recognition for what he did in Buffalo that going to the rafters would bring.You don't want to go down the road of making the criteria for inclusion to that lofty place too easy.Before you know it everyone deserves the same honor.

Its funny reading this thread that people are against Hasek, or atleast hold a grudge against the way he moved on, yet continue to praise and have man crushes on Peca, a guy who held out for an entire year before wanting out cause he wanted a better deal.

Its a no brainer, Hasek was one of the best goaltenders to play the game, he become a superstar playing in Buffalo, on a team that he had to carry. Retire his number in Buffalo, he was one of, if not the best player to every play in Buffalo, who cares how he left, I don't blame him. After a while its gets harder and harder to continue to have to carry a team on your back without management being willing to help you

Is it a no-brainer if everyone, Dom included, knows boos are going to rain down on him? That he belongs there is not in dispute.

hecame across like an ###### at the time, BUT darcy's ineptitude over the years (the trades for barnes and briere being notaqble exceptions) has completely vindicated hasek. i predict miller's exit will follow a similar pattern as hasek's.

this is twice darcy will have wasted all-world goaltending. you shouldn't even get two attempts to do that with the same team.

Darcy's fault? That is the most laughable thing in this entire thread.

I don't think that many fans would have had such a big issue if Dom had just asked to be traded out of Buffalo due to management's lack of commitment to winning. They would have understood that position and likely not held it against him. It was the fact that he basically threatened to retire, leaving the Sabres with nothing, if he was, first, not traded to Detroit and then, second, traded for too much in return. Thus, why they got what was considered proverbial "pennies on the dollar" for him in the form of Kozlov and a pick. There were better (for the Sabres) and generally considered fair (for both teams) deals in the works, but he didn't allow that to happen. That's the "f**k you" part of it that fans can't look past and what, as PA points out, would lead to booing during the raising of his number to the rafters.

:thumbsup:

I don't think that many fans would have had such a big issue if Dom had just asked to be traded out of Buffalo due to management's lack of commitment to winning. They would have understood that position and likely not held it against him. It was the fact that he basically threatened to retire, leaving the Sabres with nothing, if he was, first, not traded to Detroit and then, second, traded for too much in return. Thus, why they got what was considered proverbial "pennies on the dollar" for him in the form of Kozlov and a pick. There were better (for the Sabres) and generally considered fair (for both teams) deals in the works, but he didn't allow that to happen. That's the "f**k you" part of it that fans can't look past and what, as PA points out, would lead to booing during the raising of his number to the rafters.

And I think the comment about going into the Hall as a Wing really stung, too.

And I think the comment about going into the Hall as a Wing really stung, too.

Oh yeah, that too.

He will be a hall of famer and I don't think that any Sabres goaltender will choose 39 again, but I don't believe that they should actually retire his number. I'm not sure what say Darcy has (Larry was gone before Dom left) in the decision, but I'm sure that he would be against honoring Dom after all that went down.

YES. darcy regier absolutely has been incapable of acquiring the talent that allows a team with hasek and/or miller in goal to succeed.

So the fact that a criminal owner shut down the money flow to the team shortly after Regier started with the team had absolutely nothing to do with it. I love the delusional, re-writing history thoughts we see around here.

So the fact that a criminal owner shut down the money flow to the team shortly after Regier started with the team had absolutely nothing to do with it. I love the delusional, re-writing history thoughts we see around here.

You may be re-writing history a bit yourself.

I seem to remember the Sabres ended up coming very close to Peca's contract demand, but by then the captain just wanted out. Peca and his agent were no saints in that situation either.

Darcy seemed to have pretty free rein to add to the team at the deadline in 99 and 00, and if the Sabres win a Cup in either 99 or 01, or both, I doubt anyone is railing against the criminal right now. He certainly didn't shut off the flow when it came time for Darcy to resign Dom.

Well, to be fair, my posts were merely a stab at humor. But yes, I do think Dom's number should be retired here in Buffalo to be honest with you. From my point of view, the only numbers that should currently be up in the rafters are the French Connection and Dom's due to their impact on the teams success respective to their individual era for each in Buffalo Hockey.

I loved Lafontaine, but I still don't understand why they retired his number here. Horton was an honor to him due to his untimely demise, but once again, I don't think his number should be up there as well.

When I look up at those banners, I want to know the stories on the ice from those players that were retired.

You may be re-writing history a bit yourself.

I seem to remember the Sabres ended up coming very close to Peca's contract demand, but by then the captain just wanted out. Peca and his agent were no saints in that situation either.

Darcy seemed to have pretty free rein to add to the team at the deadline in 99 and 00, and if the Sabres win a Cup in either 99 or 01, or both, I doubt anyone is railing against the criminal right now. He certainly didn't shut off the flow when it came time for Darcy to resign Dom.

I'm not sure where the events right around 99 fit into all of this. Whether or not anyone wants to believe that was all Hasek, it is hard to argue with the results from those couple seasons. Could they have brought in more? Sure, but they did pretty damn well bringing in guys like Barnes, Sanderson, Warrener, and even the rentals like Juneau. They got the best results we've seen from this team in a very long time.

How the impending implosing that funneled towards bankruptcy is on Regier's shoulders is beyond me. That kind of comment is nothing more than bitterness over the last 3 seasons.

Archived