Reiger

sabresguy

we got nothing for zhitnik

we got nothing for Noranen(cost us 1st round pick)

Is reiger good or what?

While I can agree with you about Satan, since he wasn't qualified, how was he supposed to get something for Zhitnik? He was an Unrestricted Free Agent, he can sign whever he wants.

He got a 2nd round pick for Noronen, that seems like something to me. That was the best deal that was out there, and it would seem very unfair to Mika to keep him as the third goalie even longer.

we got nothing for satan

Is reiger good or what?

We got Barnes for a bag of pucks.

We got Briere for a bag of pucks.

We got Warrener for a broken stick.

You have to look at the whole package. Also, I disagree that the Sabres got nothing for Noronen. (I would preferred to have seen him command more, but we got exactly what SJ got for Kiprusoff. The market for unproven backups isn't what we would hope it is.)

We could have traded Zhitnik while we had his rights, could we not?

Sandis Ozalish to New york rangers(who are behind us)

Where are you reiger????

Well if we had gotten something for Zhitnik we wouldn't have had him down the stretch in 2003-2004 when we were trying to make the playoffs, and the team intended on resigning him, his price was just too high.

Yes, another defenseman got traded...I have still haven't seen a defenseman that would improve us get traded.

We could have traded Zhitnik while we had his rights, could we not?

Sandis Ozalish to New york rangers(who are behind us)

Where are you reiger????

Would you have honestly traded Z away at the deadline in '03-'04 when the Sabres were barely out of 8th?

How much would you have expected for him knowing he would be a UFA after the season and knowing he had turned down an offer of $4MM+ from the Sabres?

we got nothing for satan

Is reiger good or what?

You my freind are going to be the brunt of my frustration today. WTF is everybody complaining about. This team got where it is because it's a freaking team. Not a bunch of overpaid, aged, mercenaries. I like this team the way it is. If they need help, they have players in Rochester ready to step in and contribute.

Your drivel about what we got for so and so is hindsight and flawed. This team has assembled the best group of young forwards in the League. WTF do you want?

I want to start by saying I'm not a Darcy apologist, nor am I on his payroll. Do I think he should have gotten blueline depth at the deadline? Yes. However, I've noticed people like to lay the wood to him in this forum, and I tend to disagree. Tony Lydman for a third round pick? Good deal. Teppo Numminen as a free agent? Hey, they use to make fun of Bill Hajt, but he got the job done. Teppo is like a Finnish version of Jeep. You could almost slap Patrick's sweater on Teppo's back and not notice. I know Teppo is not exactly Hell-on-Wheels in terms of speed, but he is a very steadying influence on D. Briere for Chris "What. I scored a goal last night. I can take another month off" Gratton. Another mildly successful deal. Dumont in. Grosek out. Not bad either. He knew what he was doing in terms of preparation for the new NHL. Give him his props.

ya know i think a big win tonight against tampa will help to ease the lack of trade deadline movement... for me anyway.. i would have liked that defenseman we needed but alas its not to be i hope for a win tonight and thats that.

I don't think anyone can be too disappointed. There didn't seem to be a great deal out there to make the Sabres immediately better. On the bright side, this club isn't looking too bad, and the future hasn't been jeopordized by taking on a veteran with a cumbersome contract. The Sabres look to be in

very good financial shape for keeping most of this team together next year.

I'm not going to fly off the handle and say Regier is a moron or anything ... but I am disappointed they could not find a way to get Carney or Mitchell ... those are the only two guys I would have liked to have of the defensemen traded today ...

But both went to Western Coneference clubs so ... could have been worse.

I don't think anyone can be too disappointed. There didn't seem to be a great deal out there to make the Sabres immediately better. On the bright side, this club isn't looking too bad, and the future hasn't been jeopordized by taking on a veteran with a cumbersome contract. The Sabres look to be in

very good financial shape for keeping most of this team together next year.

If there's anything to be disappointed with, it's that all of your contenders in the EC added players and we stood pat. It is difficult for me to believe that moves made by Carolina, Ottawa, NYR, and Philly are going to HURT those teams in their quest to lift Lord Stanley's goblet. If that's true, it means that all of those teams got better, and the Sabres did not.

Of course it's all a matter of degree. We'll have to see how it all shakes out, and I'm still really excited to watch this team go after it.

Mitchell wound up going to Dallas for Skoula and some other guy. Too bad, I really would have liked him here.

I'm frustrated at no moves, but I will say this, Darcy is getting a rep for being solid. How would you like an idiot like Milbury as GM? Regier is thinking that the Sabres are winning now with Connolly and Kalinin yet to come back. That's like trade deadline acquistitions right there.

He was in the enviable position of already having a team capable of a Stanley Cup run, so patience was the right thing.

With cap room the Sabres are in a great position to explore free agents next year, and now we get to see what this team can do in the play-offs. This young group of go-getters are going to be thrown into the fire all alone, no saviors, no wiley vets or former cup winners ( save for the one they already have).

Even without a cup ring, a series win or two is going to go miles to helping this core unit learn what it takes to win.

I'm frustrated, but I can live with this!!!

I'm not going to fly off the handle and say Regier is a moron or anything ... but I am disappointed they could not find a way to get Carney or Mitchell ... those are the only two guys I would have liked to have of the defensemen traded today ...

But both went to Western Coneference clubs so ... could have been worse.

I would have liked to have seen either of those 2 or Witt. I don't know much about Gauthier, but he sounds like the type of D-man that would have helped out as well.

I'm not upset that they didn't upgrade the D, but was hoping they would.

Oh, well. The Sabres have what they have. It's been good enough so far, 22 left + playoffs. Should be a heck of a ride.

Oh, well. The Sabres have what they have. It's been good enough so far, 22 left + playoffs. Should be a heck of a ride.

I can't think of any other team that had so many injured players return right around the same time. That is basically the same kind of injection of talent that you would usually get from a trade deadline. This was definitely one of the more unique situations I've ever seen from a Sabres team.

Good point

Its good that this team has gotten us this far and that we are playing well, but by making one move for a second round pick, we did not improve at all at the deadline.

Teams like Ottawa, NYR, Philly, Carolina added depth that can make their team stronger. This means the rest of the sabres really need to step it up and play at a level way above 100% (especially if they were giving 100% up to this point. I know that their may not have been that much "quality" being dealt today, but their were still guys available that could have moved this team up to the next level.

Keeping Biron for the playoffs was good, but only if Miller gets hurt. The Sabres are only going to be giving him away after this season anyway (I don't see them making any qualifying offers to keep him as a backup for the price he's at now, and miller will be getting a raise at the end of the season too) which means we are just going to be looking for a new backup in the offseason. Might as well get something for him now.

If it works for Regier he will be thought of as a genius (like he has been for the past couple months, if not he will be ridden out of Buffalo IMHO.

If there's anything to be disappointed with, it's that all of your contenders in the EC added players and we stood pat. It is difficult for me to believe that moves made by Carolina, Ottawa, NYR, and Philly are going to HURT those teams in their quest to lift Lord Stanley's goblet. If that's true, it means that all of those teams got better, and the Sabres did not.

Of course it's all a matter of degree. We'll have to see how it all shakes out, and I'm still really excited to watch this team go after it.

Carolina is better today than they were yesterday, but they are worse than they were last week.

Ozolinish might help Rangers pp, but I don't look at that as a very significant upgrade.

Philly is better, but in general they are still slow with arguably suspect goaltending.

Would have been nice to keep up w/ Ottawa, but Ottawa's fortunes are going to hinge on Hasek and Havlat coming back from injury far more than the play of Arnason.

I still like Buffalo's chances against NY or Philly, don't like their chances against Ottawa, and think Carolina would be a heck of a series. (The homer in me says Buffalo wins a tough series, but I could definitely seeing it go the other way.)

I can't think of any other team that had so many injured players return right around the same time. That is basically the same kind of injection of talent that you would usually get from a trade deadline. This was definitely one of the more unique situations I've ever seen from a Sabres team.

Interesting way of looking at it.

Keeping Biron for the playoffs was good, but only if Miller gets hurt. The Sabres are only going to be giving him away after this season anyway (I don't see them making any qualifying offers to keep him as a backup for the price he's at now, and miller will be getting a raise at the end of the season too) which means we are just going to be looking for a new backup in the offseason. Might as well get something for him now.

Actually, the team stands a better chance of winning the games down the stretch when Miller sits. Say what you want about Mika, but at this point, he's beyond rusty. These extra wins and the extra rest for Miller should help the team going into the playoffs.

Does it help the team more than trading Marty for a body would have? We'll never know, but keeping Marty does have a postive impact on this team.

Sometimes the best deal are the ones you never make..............You don't just make a trade for the sake of making one..........And a second round pick for Mika is pretty good..............Besides the team's chemistry right now should not be messed with............<IMHO

Archived