Interesting Thoughts from ESPN on What Sabres Should Do at the Deadline

ntjacks79

For those who didn't see it, the below is from EJ Hradek of ESPN Insiders:

Veteran GM Darcy Regier isn't the panicking type. So, I doubt's his team's recent slump will cause him to go off the deep end into the trading pool.

I'll be curious to see what he does with defenseman Toni Lydman. Regier could move him to another club as a rental or keep him as a depth D and risk losing him as a free agent in the summer. I figure his decision will be based on what offers he might get.

Like many teams, the Sabres would love to bolster their roster with another forward and/or defenseman. I don't think they're willing to surrender prospects or draft picks to make that happen. They do have one particularly interesting young forward -- former Boston College star Nathan Gerbe -- who could be part of trade talk. At just 5-foot-6, Gerbe's size is a worry for some scouts, however the 22-year-old Michigan native is lightning quick and exciting to watch. The Sabres might be willing to part with him under the right circumstances.

There's been talk throughout the season that the team should upgrade their goaltending depth. I don't know. Are they going to get anyone significantly better than Lalime? I'm not so sure. -- E.J. Hradek

Buffalo's problem: Scoring

This season, the Sabres have been an average team that has received excellent goaltending (except in the last month, a mirror opposite of Ottawa). This has masked their lack of offensive explosiveness, with their top goal-scorer, Thomas Vanek, only clocking in at 18 goals so far. As it stands, the Sabres don't have the offense to keep up with the Capitals, the Penguins or the new, Kovalchuk-powered Devils. -- Tom Awad

Rumor Central says: As E.J. noted, cautious GM Ruff said he's not looking to trade much, but could make a tweak.

The guy to get: LW Alexei Ponikarovsky

Aside from Ilya Kovalchuk, probably no player has appeared in more rumors than Ponikarovsky. Yesterday we wrote how he could also help the Rangers, but I think Ponikarovsky would fit great in Buffalo. Like many of the Sabres forwards, Ponikarovsky is a forward who scores, plays decent defense and has done more with worse linemates than virtually any Sabre this season. His presence would give the Sabres two very dangerous lines. Ponikarovsky hasn't been to the playoffs since 2004 and would no doubt give his all, if for no other reason than to increase his value in the free-agent market this summer. --

I was listening to fan 590 one day during the day when WGR has the Jim Rome show and they were talking about places to go for Poni and they talked about the Sabres since Burke and Regier struck a deal last deadline.... the hosts said, it would cost Mike Weber and a 2nd round pick for Poni. Personally, i'd go look else where if that was a true deal.

For those who didn't see it, the below is from EJ Hradek of ESPN Insiders:

Veteran GM Darcy Regier isn't the panicking type. So, I doubt's his team's recent slump will cause him to go off the deep end into the trading pool.

I'll be curious to see what he does with defenseman Toni Lydman. Regier could move him to another club as a rental or keep him as a depth D and risk losing him as a free agent in the summer. I figure his decision will be based on what offers he might get.

Like many teams, the Sabres would love to bolster their roster with another forward and/or defenseman. I don't think they're willing to surrender prospects or draft picks to make that happen. They do have one particularly interesting young forward -- former Boston College star Nathan Gerbe -- who could be part of trade talk. At just 5-foot-6, Gerbe's size is a worry for some scouts, however the 22-year-old Michigan native is lightning quick and exciting to watch. The Sabres might be willing to part with him under the right circumstances.

There's been talk throughout the season that the team should upgrade their goaltending depth. I don't know. Are they going to get anyone significantly better than Lalime? I'm not so sure. -- E.J. Hradek

Buffalo's problem: Scoring

This season, the Sabres have been an average team that has received excellent goaltending (except in the last month, a mirror opposite of Ottawa). This has masked their lack of offensive explosiveness, with their top goal-scorer, Thomas Vanek, only clocking in at 18 goals so far. As it stands, the Sabres don't have the offense to keep up with the Capitals, the Penguins or the new, Kovalchuk-powered Devils. -- Tom Awad

Rumor Central says: As E.J. noted, cautious GM Ruff said he's not looking to trade much, but could make a tweak.

The guy to get: LW Alexei Ponikarovsky

Aside from Ilya Kovalchuk, probably no player has appeared in more rumors than Ponikarovsky. Yesterday we wrote how he could also help the Rangers, but I think Ponikarovsky would fit great in Buffalo. Like many of the Sabres forwards, Ponikarovsky is a forward who scores, plays decent defense and has done more with worse linemates than virtually any Sabre this season. His presence would give the Sabres two very dangerous lines. Ponikarovsky hasn't been to the playoffs since 2004 and would no doubt give his all, if for no other reason than to increase his value in the free-agent market this summer. --

Congrats to Lindy on the promotion! :doh:

I stopped after this brilliant analysis:

"I figure his decision will be based on what offers he might get."

:-). I know what you mean. But I did think the point about Lydman being possible trade bait is interesting. They DO have more defenseman than they can play, there IS impending free agency with him. His points about Gerbe and Lydman having value are interesting to me, because I think the Sabres can afford to trade players like these without getting worse now OR in the future. Whether they bring what we want/need is another matter.

The only season ponikarovsky has been a minus is in his rookie season when he was only a -1...playing with the leafs all these years as well. He's a career +55, I think he would fit in well with us but I would not give up weber if we're going to use him as a rental

Archived