The NHL couldn't give the players one extra day to get ready for the Olympics?

LabattBlue

There are 6 NHL games scheduled on Sunday and the first Olympic hockey games are on Tuesday. For the Olympic hockey players who are on the teams playing on Sunday and then in an Olympic game on Tuesday, it makes for a crazy few days. Was it really necessary to schedule NHL games on Sunday instead of having the last games on Saturday? March and April are already packed with games...jamming 6 more games in there couldn't have hurt.

There are 6 NHL games scheduled on Sunday and the first Olympic hockey games are on Tuesday. For the Olympic hockey players who are on the teams playing on Sunday and then in an Olympic game on Tuesday, it makes for a crazy few days. Was it really necessary to schedule NHL games on Sunday instead of having the last games on Saturday? March and April are already packed with games...jamming 6 more games in there couldn't have hurt.

Better yet, would it have hurt so bad to just start the season a week early?

Sure, it means pre-season needs to start early as well, and camp to go with it, but wouldn't it be possible? Most of these guys get a break in February anyway.

Would've made the post-olympic schedule less congested.

Better yet, would it have hurt so bad to just start the season a week early?

Sure, it means pre-season needs to start early as well, and camp to go with it, but wouldn't it be possible? Most of these guys get a break in February anyway.

Would've made the post-olympic schedule less congested.

Agreed... and it would/could have been possible for the guys to enjoy the entire experience and be part of the opening ceremonies. Not sure that they really care, but 'cmon........ this is a dream for most of them (besides playing in the NHL of course)

Agreed... and it would/could have been possible for the guys to enjoy the entire experience and be part of the opening ceremonies. Not sure that they really care, but 'cmon........ this is a dream for most of them (besides playing in the NHL of course)

Agreed. It's one sad part that players can't take part of the Opening ceremonies. However, not sure if you saw the story, but Jack Johnson of the Kings, who is playing for USA, realized Kings had no game on Friday and asked if he can fly to Vancouver for the ceremonies and return Saturday morning. They approved. So, Johnson will walk in with the USA Olympians. I found that pretty cool.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=37256.html

Agreed. It's one sad part that players can't take part of the Opening ceremonies. However, not sure if you saw the story, but Jack Johnson of the Kings, who is playing for USA, realized Kings had no game on Friday and asked if he can fly to Vancouver for the ceremonies and return Saturday morning. They approved. So, Johnson will walk in with the USA Olympians. I found that pretty cool.

That is actually pretty cool. I mean, if you're going to play there, you should participate in the opening ceremony, IMHO.

It doesn't make sense that all other sports athletes are represented there, and the hockey players aren't, pros or not. Most of the other athletes are pros as well.

Now that is cool! Thanks for sharing :)

Awful news on opening ceremony day.

Just a little reminder that the olympics really are sports and not for the timid. I commented earlier in week how I was looking forward to the Luge events. Once you know what's going on with the mens singles on those tiny sleds(140Kmph). It is insane/amazing they have the balls to compete like that.

From CTV article:

There have been more than a dozen crashes during Olympic training. A Romanian woman was briefly knocked unconscious earlier this week.

"I think they are pushing it a little too much,'' Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday after she nearly lost control in training. "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.''

Archived