Four Things Coaches Do to Harm a Goaltender’s Mental Game (without knowing it)!

bottlecap

Four Things Coaches Do to Harm a Goaltender’s Mental Game (without knowing it)!

By Justin Johnson

Performance Coach, Mental Edge

This past fall I traveled across the state of Minnesota conducting goalie coaching clinics for youth hockey associations. During the two-hour sessions I consulted with coaches about ways they can increase the likelihood of their goaltenders having a positive experience in the game of hockey. What I discovered is there are many coaches who are on the right track with their goalies and their development. There are also a few who have trouble communicating with their goalies. Even more struggle with how they should orchestrate practices and games in a way that encourages goaltender development.

In an effort to shed some light on how coaches can set their goalies up for success, I have included four common pitfalls to avoid. My aim is to inform coaches about the ways they harm their goaltenders’ mental development, oftentimes without even knowing it!

1.) Not sure what to say, so say nothing

Issue:

Historically head coaches and their staff have struggled with how to coach, challenge and develop the goaltenders on their team. Many coaches haven’t played the position, so they feel paralyzed when trying to address technical information and fundamentals. This lack of goalie know-how, typically leads to frustrating conversations or even an avoidance of conversations because it doesn’t land in the coaches’ comfort zone.

Advice:

I encourage coaches to make an effort to positively impact every player on the team, including goaltenders. Rather than keep quiet, sit down with your goaltender(s) to learn about what they need to be successful. Many goaltenders, even as young as squirts, know what should have been done differently on goals they gave up. As a coach, ask them what you can do to make practices better to address the situations you are seeing in games. Goalies need to feel a part of the team and process – ignoring them because of your ignorance can shake their trust, confidence and ultimately negatively impact on their experience.

2.) Pulling the goalie without giving explanation

Issue:

Eventually a game will get out of hand or an off-night will come around where it is in either the team’s or the goaltender’s best interest to pull him or her from the game. I believe that the pulling of a goalie is a necessary part of the game and one that if done correctly builds character and a winning spirit in an individual. If done incorrectly you may have a disruptive issue that lasts all season, and negatively impacts the mindset of your goaltenders for quite some time. I have witnessed and even been a participant in many ugly pullings, where coaches yell at the goalie on the way to the bench or display incredibly poor

body language that sends the wrong message to all watching.

Advice:

When you decide to pull your goaltender, doing so correctly comes down to two items:

Conduct yourself in a calm and professional manner, including body language, by continuing to coach your team in a positive way.

You must not let that goaltender leave the arena without knowing why you pulled him or her and/or how you intend to help them have a better outing next time. (As a side note, I feel it is acceptable to tell the goalie on the bench why you pulled him if it was done to help change team momentum. If it was simply a rough night for the goalie, it is better to discuss that in private after the game.)

3.) Shouting instructions from the bench

Issue:

Rarely have I seen great coaching advice that makes an immediate impact on a goalie’s performance by being yelled from the bench for all to see and hear. Other than encouragement or to signal the goalie to come to the bench, coaches should never yell to a goaltender. The repercussions of yelling include embarrassment, confusion, frustration, and a fear of making mistakes, all of which deter a quality mindset and performances. In other words, whatever gem of advice you may have and result you get, it will be

eroded by a mindset that requires the goaltender to play for you rather than themselves and their instinct.

Advice:

If a persistent issue is occurring, there are a number of ways to communicate more effectively. You can wait until there is an intermission, relay the message to a mature player you feel will communicate it to your goalie with the correct tone and message intended, or call a time-out.

4.) Waiting right before the game to designate the starter

Issue:

Perhaps the most common mistake coaches make without knowing it is waiting to decide or inform which goalie will play. Coaches fail to understand that goaltending is a position that requires a significant amount of preparation. If a goalie does not know, that preparation is undermined, resulting in a less than prepared, less confident goaltender. Coaches have stated they use this tactic to judge who looks best in warm-ups or to make sure both goalies are ready. Both of these tactics are mentally counterproductive and will create negative effects, not only for your goaltenders but also for the rest of the team.

Advice:

I suggest coaches give notice to BOTH goaltenders as to who will be playing a night in advance, if possible, or the morning of the game, at the latest. This should provide plenty of time for your goaltenders to prepare, giving your team the best chance of a quality performance. This is a simple request and one that will be greatly appreciated by your goaltenders.

Remember, if you are good to your goalies they will likely be good to you and your team!

For more information, contact Justin@MentalEdgeNow.com

So, which do you think Lindy does?

(1) Lindy often says that he talks to Miller. Hard for anyone here to know how much or about what.

(2) In his post-game presser, he has said things like "I let him know that it wasn't him; that I was doing it to get the team going."

(3) I've heard him shout things at skaters, but I'm not sure that I've heard him yell instructions to Ryan.

(4) Not announcing a starter to the media is not the same as not telling the goalies, themselves, who is going to start. Do you actually know for sure that he doesn't tell them (Miller/Lalime) the night before?

I would like my four minutes back please.

Come on, if there's an article Lindy needs to read, it's "Ways to Coach Your Team in Order to Give Your Goaltender the Positional Support He Needs with supplementary pamphlet on Effective Backup Goaltender Use"

These are professional hockey players, not 14 year olds with self-esteem issues. Every now and then we see a goalie throw a tantrum on the bench after getting pulled and think "oh man, he must be mad at the coach". Which is probably only partially the case. I think most goalies know they've been pulled for various reasons, some being their fault, some being their team. I don't think it needs to be explained. A goalie knows when he lets in a goal he shouldn't. And he knows when his team hangs him out to dry.

So, which do you think Lindy does?

(1) Lindy often says that he talks to Miller. Hard for anyone here to know how much or about what.

(2) In his post-game presser, he has said things like "I let him know that it wasn't him; that I was doing it to get the team going."

(3) I've heard him shout things at skaters, but I'm not sure that I've heard him yell instructions to Ryan.

(4) Not announcing a starter to the media is not the same as not telling the goalies, themselves, who is going to start. Do you actually know for sure that he doesn't tell them (Miller/Lalime) the night before?

ask Hoppe.

ask Hoppe.

OK. I searched for "Miller" with author BillHoppe. I found one post where he said that Miller didn't like being called out in public last year and one where he said that Lindy never lets on who will be in goal. The former doesn't violate any of the rules and the latter still doesn't prove that the goaltenders themselves don't know who is going to start. Lindy never lets on to the media. Did I miss something?

OK. I searched for "Miller" with author BillHoppe. I found one post where he said that Miller didn't like being called out in public last year and one where he said that Lindy never lets on who will be in goal. The former doesn't violate any of the rules and the latter still doesn't prove that the goaltenders themselves don't know who is going to start. Lindy never lets on to the media. Did I miss something?

Maybe it's that Lindy doesn't let on to the goalies, who knows. I know Miller got mad this year after getting pulled in that game that Lalime came on to win the game from down 4-0. It's unreported how regular the communication is between coach and goalies but for now it seems out of synch. But then again the club has a variety of problems now, including the captain... The article explains how many ways it can go wrong. Lalime had a good stretch but now it's back to just losing. Maybe we'll see a back-up goaltending change.

Archived