Directv question about center ice

sactobillsfan

I'm in the exact same spot - I love Armstrong - they gave me a great deal for three months of Versus when the Sabres had that December run of four Versus games in four weeks.

Armstrong really ###### us though three years ago when it was time to order Center Ice. We had it the previous season (moved here 4 yrs. ago) but Armstrong informed us that they were in "negotiations" with Center Ice and it would be a few weeks before we could get it, but rest assured, they told us, it would be available. They ended up stringing us along all season...everytime we called it was "any day now"! At the end of the season we finally got someone to tell us that it wasn't happening. That's when we went to DirectTV.

I really wish Armstrong would offer center Ice again, I would rather just use them but I missed one season and I am not missing any more. Even if that means paying for DirectTV AND Cable.

Armstrong really ###### us though three years ago when it was time to order Center Ice. We had it the previous season (moved here 4 yrs. ago) but Armstrong informed us that they were in "negotiations" with Center Ice and it would be a few weeks before we could get it, but rest assured, they told us, it would be available. They ended up stringing us along all season...everytime we called it was "any day now"! At the end of the season we finally got someone to tell us that it wasn't happening. That's when we went to DirectTV.

I really wish Armstrong would offer center Ice again, I would rather just use them but I missed one season and I am not missing any more. Even if that means paying for DirectTV AND Cable.

Girl Power!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

People outside WNY who have CI will get the MSG SD feed and the other team's feed(s)*. So they'd have the choice of watching RJ/HN in SD or watching the other team.

People inside WNY w/ or w/out CI will get the MSG HD feed** but no other feed. So we are "stuck" w/ RJ/HN. :)

*Philly feed (due to Snyders being @$#*!%$ --> Comcast dispute w/ DirecTV) and many Canadian feeds don't show up on CI. When Canadian feeds are available they often aren't in HD.

**For home games and the 6 road MSG produced games (NYR, NYI, NJD). All other roadies are in SD.

If you're in the Sabres TV territory, you won't see Sabres games on CI, will you?

If you're in the Sabres TV territory, you won't see Sabres games on CI, will you?

Not sure. It used to be (w/ DirecTV) that the game (w/ the exact same broadcast) would be shown in the 600's and on the CI feed. (Of course, back in the old Empire days, if Empire wasn't showing a Sabres game, the other team's feed wouldn't be blacked out on CI; that changed w/ MSG. So, w/ DirecTV & CI (maybe it worked w/ cable and CI as well, never had that combo) when Empire was showing ~75 games, I could see all but a game against Atlanta annually because there'd be one Sabres Threshers game that neither network broadcast :wallbash: ) I haven't tried in a long time to see if the MSG feed to CI is blacked out. I will most likely be at the Carolina game, so I can't check it tomorrow, but if someone else doesn't answer your Q, I'll check it at the next game after that.

Not sure. It used to be (w/ DirecTV) that the game (w/ the exact same broadcast) would be shown in the 600's and on the CI feed. (Of course, back in the old Empire days, if Empire wasn't showing a Sabres game, the other team's feed wouldn't be blacked out on CI; that changed w/ MSG. So, w/ DirecTV & CI (maybe it worked w/ cable and CI as well, never had that combo) when Empire was showing ~75 games, I could see all but a game against Atlanta annually because there'd be one Sabres Threshers game that neither network broadcast :wallbash: ) I haven't tried in a long time to see if the MSG feed to CI is blacked out. I will most likely be at the Carolina game, so I can't check it tomorrow, but if someone else doesn't answer your Q, I'll check it at the next game after that.

I am truly a pod! I don't know why I even asked the question. I'm in Sabres territory and have CI -- a DirecTV goodie for complaining about no Versus. And when I first got the dish back in '06, at first I signed up for CI. No Sabre game. I had to cancel it and sign up for the Sports Pack, which carries MSG. Now MSG is one of DirecTV's regular tiers.

So unless things have changed, Sabres games aren't on CI in Sabres TV Land. But I can check myself tonight.

Thank you, have a nice day and -- nevvvver mind.

Girl Power!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yeah Chz there aren't many of us on here are there? Sometimes when the testosterone if flowing heavy I just read and laugh my a$$ off :rolleyes:

I also work in a predominantly male field and between that and this I really feel like I've grown a couple over the years.

While not as prolific as you my sister, I do love coming here. It is a great community and no matter what, we all love this team.

Ditto - that was annoying. I waited two years before I made the jump to DirecTV

I am truly a pod! I don't know why I even asked the question. I'm in Sabres territory and have CI -- a DirecTV goodie for complaining about no Versus. And when I first got the dish back in '06, at first I signed up for CI. No Sabre game. I had to cancel it and sign up for the Sports Pack, which carries MSG. Now MSG is one of DirecTV's regular tiers.

So unless things have changed, Sabres games aren't on CI in Sabres TV Land. But I can check myself tonight.

Thank you, have a nice day and -- nevvvver mind.

The way things work with NHL CI in territory is relatively simple.

Tonight's game will be shown on three DirecTV channels: 638, 638-1, and 774. The broadcasts on 638 and 774 will be identical so even though technically 774 is the NHL Center Ice version - it's the same broadcast with the same blackout restrictions so even if you're in territory you can watch it. 638-1, the HD version, is only available to people in Sabres territory. There is no Hurricane's broadcast.

Tomorrow night against Columbus is different. It will be shown on 638, 661, 661-1, 781, 782, 782-1. For those in Buffalo territory they'll only be able to watch the game on 638 or 781. For those with Center Ice (and outside of Sabres territory), they'll be able to watch the broadcast on any of the channels listed.

Broadcast systems use "real" (the frequency assignment) and "virtual" (the number you punch into your remote) channels. So for example, on my local cable system the channel for NBC is 111 (virtual channel). The real channel is 94-1. But you can assign multiple virtual channels to a single real channel. So for sports packages like NHL CI DirecTV simply assigns multiple virtual channels to a single real channel. This is also why using QuickView on DirecTV is a bad idea for 638 and 638-1, because depending on what real channels are available a the time those virtual channels stay the same while the real channel that is used to broadcast Sabres game moves constantly.

The way things work with NHL CI in territory is relatively simple.

Tonight's game will be shown on three DirecTV channels: 638, 638-1, and 774. The broadcasts on 638 and 774 will be identical so even though technically 774 is the NHL Center Ice version - it's the same broadcast with the same blackout restrictions so even if you're in territory you can watch it. 638-1, the HD version, is only available to people in Sabres territory. There is no Hurricane's broadcast.

Tomorrow night against Columbus is different. It will be shown on 638, 661, 661-1, 781, 782, 782-1. For those in Buffalo territory they'll only be able to watch the game on 638 or 781. For those with Center Ice (and outside of Sabres territory), they'll be able to watch the broadcast on any of the channels listed.

Broadcast systems use "real" (the frequency assignment) and "virtual" (the number you punch into your remote) channels. So for example, on my local cable system the channel for NBC is 111 (virtual channel). The real channel is 94-1. But you can assign multiple virtual channels to a single real channel. So for sports packages like NHL CI DirecTV simply assigns multiple virtual channels to a single real channel. This is also why using QuickView on DirecTV is a bad idea for 638 and 638-1, because depending on what real channels are available a the time those virtual channels stay the same while the real channel that is used to broadcast Sabres game moves constantly.

I think I'll take my nap now. :)

Again, when I initially ordered CI, I couldn't watch Sabres games. Has something changed? Can I get a lower tier package that doesn't have MSG and still watch the games?

They don't even know what hockey is in Ashland County!

Hell, they barely know what it is in Cuyahoga or Lorain County!

Well.....it's not that bad lol...a few kids play over in Wooster at Alice Noble Ice Arena. Been thinking about going to a Wooster Blades game, and for that matter, have been meaning to check out the Lake Erie Monsters.

A kid in my daughter's 6th grade class is a big Red Wing Fan, another a Penguin fan. She fights with them all the time...the Pitt fan really gave her a hard time after that last game. <_<

I think I'll take my nap now. :)

Again, when I initially ordered CI, I couldn't watch Sabres games. Has something changed? Can I get a lower tier package that doesn't have MSG and still watch the games?

Given your zip code what is your local regional sports network?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004

Given your zip code what is your local regional sports network?

http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P3000004

With Choice, I'm in the local market of the Sabres, Penguins and Pirates. With Choice Xtra, also the Indians. With Supreme or the Sports Pack, also the Cavaliers.

Here is blackout info from the DirecTV web site. It's the way I thought it should work:

---

Blackout restrictions apply to all games that are on NHL® CENTER ICE®. Blackout restrictions are designed to protect the television rightsholders in the competing teams' respective home markets. Blackouts are not based on arena sellouts.

Local Broadcast Blackout Example

If the St. Louis Blues are playing the New York Rangers, the local telecast areas of the Blues and Rangers will be blacked out on NHL® CENTER ICE®, regardless of whether the teams are televising locally. If the teams are televising locally, NHL® CENTER ICE® subscribers can view the game on their over-the-air television station or their local regional sports network (RSN) if DIRECTV carries the local telecaster-included with CHOICE programming and Local Channels.

With Choice, I'm in the local market of the Sabres, Penguins and Pirates. With Choice Xtra, also the Indians. With Supreme or the Sports Pack, also the Cavaliers.

Here is blackout info from the DirecTV web site. It's the way I thought it should work:

---

Blackout restrictions apply to all games that are on NHL® CENTER ICE®. Blackout restrictions are designed to protect the television rightsholders in the competing teams' respective home markets. Blackouts are not based on arena sellouts.

Local Broadcast Blackout Example

If the St. Louis Blues are playing the New York Rangers, the local telecast areas of the Blues and Rangers will be blacked out on NHL® CENTER ICE®, regardless of whether the teams are televising locally. If the teams are televising locally, NHL® CENTER ICE® subscribers can view the game on their over-the-air television station or their local regional sports network (RSN) if DIRECTV carries the local telecaster-included with CHOICE programming and Local Channels.

Ah ha! Now I see what you mean - I didn't realize you were in the crossover area that is both Pens and Sabres territory - it all makes sense now.

You ask an interesting question to which the answer I believe is no - if you went down to the Family Package + NHLCI I think you'd lose the Sabres broadcast but I can see why you ask the question - if the blackout settings are the same then it should authorize the channel irrespective of your base package. My hunch is that it wouldn't work though... I'm not sure.

If that didn't work - Family+Sports Pack+ NHL CI should give you the Sabres on MSG.

Ah ha! Now I see what you mean - I didn't realize you were in the crossover area that is both Pens and Sabres territory - it all makes sense now.

You ask an interesting question to which the answer I believe is no - if you went down to the Family Package + NHLCI I think you'd lose the Sabres broadcast but I can see why you ask the question - if the blackout settings are the same then it should authorize the channel irrespective of your base package. My hunch is that it wouldn't work though... I'm not sure.

If that didn't work - Family+Sports Pack+ NHL CI should give you the Sabres on MSG.

I'd never go down to the base package. I need my liberal CNN.

Not that anyone's overly curious about my TV situation -- maybe the discussion will be of interest/will help others -- but against the Sharks, the Sharks broadcast was blacked out on CI. I got the Sabres broadcast on both my regional sports network and on CI. And this afternoon I got the Pens broadcast on both my RSN and CI -- as well as the Predators broadcast on CI.

From all accounts, this is not how it's supposed to work.

Not sure if this is the right place, but did anyone else get the Sabres-Sharks in HD, with the Sabres crew? Saw on another board that Devils and Rangers game also were the MSG HD feed on CI, and was wondering if anybody heard that the dispute between between MSG and NHL maybe got fixed somehow? I serached, and could not find anything, but was wondering if someone else here might have some ideas

Not that anyone's overly curious about my TV situation -- maybe the discussion will be of interest/will help others -- but against the Sharks, the Sharks broadcast was blacked out on CI. I got the Sabres broadcast on both my regional sports network and on CI. And this afternoon I got the Pens broadcast on both my RSN and CI -- as well as the Predators broadcast on CI.

From all accounts, this is not how it's supposed to work.

Here's what happened. You're in a dual territory - Sabres and Pens, but the Sabres are your primary while the Pens are your secondary. If it's a secondary team then the opposing feed doesn't get blacked out if you have NHL Center Ice - only in your primary market. So for example, at my parent's which is in the Rochester area, they get the Sabres games as primary, but the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils as secondary. When we're there we get the Rangers, Devils, and Islanders games as well as the opposing team's feed. Now, where it gets tricky is if the Sabres are playing at the same time as any of those three teams - in that case the Sabres get priority and the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders are blacked out (except that I get the SD feed because I have NHL Center Ice).

So since the Sabres are your primary you got blacked out of the Shark's feed, but since the Pens are secondary, you get their feed as well as the opposing feed. If the Sabres and Pens played, you'd get blacked out of the Pens feed. And if the Pens played at the same time as the Sabres and you didn't have NHL Center Ice, you'd get blacked out of the Pens game.

Not sure if this is the right place, but did anyone else get the Sabres-Sharks in HD, with the Sabres crew? Saw on another board that Devils and Rangers game also were the MSG HD feed on CI, and was wondering if anybody heard that the dispute between between MSG and NHL maybe got fixed somehow? I serached, and could not find anything, but was wondering if someone else here might have some ideas

The Sabres game was an accidental transmission - they fixed it halfway through the second period. They actually linked the wrong HD channel to the Shark's HD feed.

The Rangers games appeared in the schedule as HD but (as has happened before) were not delivered in HD.

Archived