[OT] FiOS Guy just here

Linksfiend

So Chris Shoff from Verizon was just here and claimed they have the Sabres games in HD. I read otherwise at the beginning of the season. Is he misinformed?

I'm in Kenmore and have Fios. No HD MSG yet, unless it's recent NEWS I haven't heard about.

I just switched back to DTV because there was no information for the foreseeable future that there would be HD coverage of the Sabres games. If they had given me a glimmer of hope, I would have stayed. No such glimmer.

Glad to see we have someone who at least "knows the deal" with FiOS. Could you elaborate a little on the other "non-MSG" aspects of FiOS? Picture Quality? Depth of channel offering other than MSG HD? DirecTV blows Cable out of the water in these areas... wondering how it compares to FiOS.

I had a door-to-door FIOS guy try to tell me that they had HD Sabres game. He tried to convice ME I couldn't get them on DirecTv. It was quite a fun conversation.

I would make the switch (I already use them for Internet and love it), but the Sabes HD thing is a big deal to me. I also have read reviews that say their DVRs blow compared to DirecTv's.

Did some searching to jog my memory. Here were my MAJOR DVR hangups.

-Channels you don't get, can't be removed from the guide and show up in search results. No big deal I guess but VERY annoying.

Can't use multi-room streaming features to other DVRs, only to regular STBs. I have DVRs in each room so this is a deal killer for me.

-160GB HDD which only equals 18 hours of HD. You've got to be kidding me. 3-4 episodes of a few series and a movie or 2 and I'm losing programs to auto delete! no thanks!!

I had a door-to-door FIOS guy try to tell me that they had HD Sabres game. He tried to convice ME I couldn't get them on DirecTv. It was quite a fun conversation.

I would make the switch (I already use them for Internet and love it), but the Sabes HD thing is a big deal to me. I also have read reviews that say their DVRs blow compared to DirecTv's.

Did some searching to jog my memory. Here were my MAJOR DVR hangups.

-Channels you don't get, can't be removed from the guide and show up in search results. No big deal I guess but VERY annoying.

Can't use multi-room streaming features to other DVRs, only to regular STBs. I have DVRs in each room so this is a deal killer for me.

-160GB HDD which only equals 18 hours of HD. You've got to be kidding me. 3-4 episodes of a few series and a movie or 2 and I'm losing programs to auto delete! no thanks!!

Thanks. Very helpful. This is why I don't switch from DirecTV. I think they are morons regarding Versus, they are behind regarding local channels in HD, I think they are getting out-of-touch with customer service the bigger they become, but their picture quality, depth of HD channels, quality of DVR equipment, etc. is far better than the competition. So, we're stuck.

I can't believe DirecTV hasn't realized that there is a BIG opportunity with PPV sports programming. Offerings like Center Ice have become useless because of the many issues like we always debate on this board. Yet I bet every one of us would pay $5-$10 per game just to get MSG HD and get the friggin Sabres with both HD and Rick J (out-of-towners). It's a joke. With all current TV technology, Blu-Ray, 1080p, etc. - we can't even get the Sabres in 720p if we're willing to PAY for it.

Archived