The 10 greatest goalie saves of the last decade

Calvin

Thanks for the link--very cool.

Miller is one of the best positional goalies I ever have seen, which is why he had his highlight there. He lets in some stupid goals sometimes (and of course, I'm writing this after the Pens game), but he almost always is exactly in the position he should be in.

Biron, sh*t, that just was cool.

I can't help but think these saves are 25% effort and 75% luck and that these goalies would not consider these among their best saves. Goalies often respond to questions about saves like these by saying they got lucky. Maybe just hockey modesty... but, come on, a shooter has 22 square feet of net to shoot at and hits the goalie's stick? That's luck.

I can't help but think these saves are 25% effort and 75% luck and that these goalies would not consider these among their best saves. Goalies often respond to questions about saves like these by saying they got lucky. Maybe just hockey modesty... but, come on, a shooter has 22 square feet of net to shoot at and hits the goalie's stick? That's luck.

Agreed. A lot of it has to do with luck. But there's also something to be said about positional sense, which Miller seems to possess bucketloads of.

Don't forget what Arnold Palmer, another old timer like you, purportedly once said - “It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get”

The same could be said about the shooters though. If you watch the skills competition, they don't hit the corner targets dead center every time. Sure thet are aiming for the corners but if the puck is two inches in either direction it's hitting the goalie or the pipe.

Archived