Ying and yang: SC Cup Winners

MattPie

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather:

• win the cup and then be absolutely horrible for five years after.
    • be competitive year in, year out, but never quite go all the way.

I noticed today that the four Cup winners in the last four years are generally not faring very well:

Carolina: last in the league by a country mile

Anaheim: last in the west by 3 points

Detroit: two points out of the playoffs in the west

Penguins: 4th in the east (but 3rd in points)

Figuring there may be a trend there, I put up the poll. It would make sense that with the extra exposure, the players on a cup winner would be sought after and the team eventually falls apart.

Hmm ... given the recent success of the Penguins, Blackhawks and Capitals, maybe the question should be: would you be willing to suck for 5 years, gather top-3 players and then be a cup contender for several years; or would you rather remain a perennial middle-tier team, making the playoffs some times, just missing others, and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle when the league changes rules or, maybe, when a #12 overall pick turns out to be a superstar?

Hmm ... given the recent success of the Penguins, Blackhawks and Capitals, maybe the question should be: would you be willing to suck for 5 years, gather top-3 players and then be a cup contender for several years; or would you rather remain a perennial middle-tier team, making the playoffs some times, just missing others, and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle when the league changes rules or, maybe, when a #12 overall pick turns out to be a superstar?

OK, so to update, suck for 5 years, win for a few, suck for 5 more. It could be coming for Pitt. They have nearly 22Mil/year tied up with Malkin, Crosby, and Orpik alone. Can they find 20 other players for an average of 2Mil/year to stay under the cap AND win?

I haven't voted yet, I don't know. A cup would be nice and all, but to live through truly bad years to get there/after? People like to bitch and moan about the last two years, but try getting some sympathy from Toronto who been to the play offs in since the lockout.

Archived