Darcy on XM yesterday

nfreeman

It sounds like Darcy was on XM yesterday. Die by the Blade has a pretty good summary here. Some interesting items, including this:

Darcy was asked specifically "if he was happy with the Sabres off-season and if he was basically done". His answer was an emphatic "NO". He said "we're still working on some things but honestly it's a difficult market".

There's no link to the actual interview, which makes me think this can't be done, but does anyone know whether there is a way to access it? I checked out XM's website as well as iTunes and didn't see anything. But I'm no expert.

I gotta believe him. Nobody wants to take on salaries right now. Anyone who agrees to trade for Tallinder or Hecht will need to take on salary. I don't think Sabres are interested in a trade just for the sake of trading, as in dealing Hecht for a bum who makes similar money. Atleast they know what they are getting from Hecht. Sucks, but that's the type of economic world we are living in right now in the sports world.

I gotta believe him. Nobody wants to take on salaries right now. Anyone who agrees to trade for Tallinder or Hecht will need to take on salary. I don't think Sabres are interested in a trade just for the sake of trading, as in dealing Hecht for a bum who makes similar money. Atleast they know what they are getting from Hecht. Sucks, but that's the type of economic world we are living in right now in the sports world.

I'd be on the phone with Nashville. Looking at nhlnumbers.com (of course, you never know how up-to-date it is), they'll likely need to add salary just to make the cap floor and they're short on defensemen. Give them Tallinder for "future considerations" for all I care. That's $3.25 million, less whatever the kid we replace him costs, to play with. That could be $2.5 million net!

I'd be on the phone with Nashville. Looking at nhlnumbers.com (of course, you never know how up-to-date it is), they'll likely need to add salary just to make the cap floor and they're short on defensemen. Give them Tallinder for "future considerations" for all I care. That's $3.25 million, less whatever the kid we replace him costs, to play with. That could be $2.5 million net!

meh, TG would probably pocket it and DR would give us the old rhetoric. Sorry for the negativity but I am a pirates fan.

Great call. I would guess though that Nashville and the handful of other similarly situated teams are receiving a number of offers like this from cap-strapped GMs and are essentially auctioning off cap space. In other words, any GM looking to one of these teams to take an expensive veteran off of his hands will likely need to sweeten the pot with a prospect and/or pick. So, DR may be looking not only at giving away Tallinder for nothing, but paying Nashville with something like a 2nd-round pick just to take Tallinder off of his hands. At that point I can see DR passing.

meh, TG would probably pocket it and DR would give us the old rhetoric. Sorry for the negativity but I am a pirates fan.

As I've posted before, I think TG probably will pocket any budget savings unless there is more than one expensive vet who is moved. Bottom line is that signing Stafford will bring payroll to around $54MM, which is too high for this team's budget.

As I've posted before, I think TG probably will pocket any budget savings unless there is more than one expensive vet who is moved. Bottom line is that signing Stafford will bring payroll to around $54MM, which is too high for this team's budget.

Cough cough. Ahem. Gurgle gurgle.

What would you do with the 2.5?

Well, that's hard to answer without knowing what the team's internal budget is. Geez, you'd think people would realize that we don't actually know that, by now. :nana:

See, this is the thing that puzzles me. I know there are some brainiacs on this board. It seems like part of the fan base entertains themselves by seeing how well they can figure out the puzzle of "sticking to the budget." Fans shouldn't care about that, especially since we really don't know what the budget is and how the organization really works (can Darcy exceed the budget?). The question was an easy one. You should want to spend Tallinder's salary on a better backup goalie, center depth, a power play quarterback, a rough and tumble winger, whatever. The "you" in the question was you, a fan, not you, Darcy Regier.

Every summer I torture myself with this.

I had XM for 3 yrs. They do not archive anything on their website, so you're pretty much outta luck trying to hear a interview again.

That said, I really hope Darcy is working on some deals. I would kill for a top veteran Centerman!

I had XM for 3 yrs. They do not archive anything on their website, so you're pretty much outta luck trying to hear a interview again.

That said, I really hope Darcy is working on some deals. I would kill for a top veteran Centerman!

Umm... from the 3rd post-

nhl.com has XM in the video section, but it lags about 4-5 days. Might be up sometime mid-next week?

I think we all are, but what does Portland have to do this?

i think he meant Pittsburgh Pirates.. poor sod..

See, this is the thing that puzzles me. I know there are some brainiacs on this board. It seems like part of the fan base entertains themselves by seeing how well they can figure out the puzzle of "sticking to the budget." Fans shouldn't care about that, especially since we really don't know what the budget is and how the organization really works (can Darcy exceed the budget?). The question was an easy one. You should want to spend Tallinder's salary on a better backup goalie, center depth, a power play quarterback, a rough and tumble winger, whatever. The "you" in the question was you, a fan, not you, Darcy Regier.

Geez, I was just poking fun.

With Weber in place of Tallinder (just one option), their salary for 12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies would be just $49.26 million. Being a responsible GM, I wouldn't want to go much above $55 million to leave some space for injury (basic IR, not LTIR with cap relief) and prospect callups, which would leave at most $6 million to "play" with. However, as GM, I don't get to set the budget, getting us back to the original problem.

Assuming that we have a reasonable amount to play with, at this point, the FA options are thin. We need a top-six right winger. While I don't think Zherdev is the greatest option, I would be talking with his agent, if nothing more than to generate leverage in negotiations with Stafford. I'd also be talking trades for one, but it's hard to even guess at who would be available.

Beyond that, we need center depth. At minimum, that means someone like Moore, Malhotra or Prospal on a one-year, low cost, band-aid contract to give some of the Portland guys (e.g., Kennedy) time to develop. Besides, even with Tallinder gone, that may be all that would be affordable.

i think he meant Pittsburgh Pirates.. poor sod..

ding ding ding

We have a winner.

Yeah, thus the delayed ;)

Geez, I was just poking fun.

With Weber in place of Tallinder (just one option), their salary for 12 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies would be just $49.26 million. Being a responsible GM, I wouldn't want to go much above $55 million to leave some space for injury (basic IR, not LTIR with cap relief) and prospect callups, which would leave at most $6 million to "play" with. However, as GM, I don't get to set the budget, getting us back to the original problem.

Assuming that we have a reasonable amount to play with, at this point, the FA options are thin. We need a top-six right winger. While I don't think Zherdev is the greatest option, I would be talking with his agent, if nothing more than to generate leverage in negotiations with Stafford. I'd also be talking trades for one, but it's hard to even guess at who would be available.

Beyond that, we need center depth. At minimum, that means someone like Moore, Malhotra or Prospal on a one-year, low cost, band-aid contract to give some of the Portland guys (e.g., Kennedy) time to develop. Besides, even with Tallinder gone, that may be all that would be affordable.

But this doesn't include Stafford, right? So his presumed $2.5MM or so salary brings them up to about $52MM total -- and that's IF DR is able to unload Tallinder without taking back any salary.

I'll say it again: for anyone new to be brought in, more than one of the expensive vets is going to have to go.

But this doesn't include Stafford, right? So his presumed $2.5MM or so salary brings them up to about $52MM total -- and that's IF DR is able to unload Tallinder without taking back any salary.

The question was specifically in response to my statement that I would give Tallinder and maybe a sweetener to Nashville for "future considerations" (or any other minimal amount) to help them get above the cap floor. So, in that hypothetical, we haven't taken back any salary.

Then, all of my "what would I do" starts without Stafford and, as I said, may or may not include bringing him in. We need another scoring line right winger, so I would be talking with Stafford, Zherdev (again, if nothing more, it's provides leverage with Stafford) and GMs about trading for one (e.g., San Jose seems to want to part with Cheechoo.) After that, we would likely be at $52 million, give or take. Depending on what I'm given to work with, I'm then looking to Moore, Malhotra, Prospal or a trade for a cheap (< $2 million) contract for center depth.

It's very hard to say what exactly I would be able to do since the trade market has so many unknowns.

I'll say it again: for anyone new to be brought in, more than one of the expensive vets is going to have to go.

Why's that?

Archived