Daren Eliot on CNNSI says that

Twisted Wrister

Marty Biron for Todd Bertuzzi is an intriguing possibility........so says Daren Eliot of CNNSI

(disclaimer: I am in no way depicting this as an impending trade, distinct possibility, or otherwise it is only for entertainment purposes and should be taken as such)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ades/index.html

What would you think of that trade.....it doesn't address our pressing needs at defense and only further muddles the logjam at forward...but Bertuzzi is an elite talent

I'll stand by my convictions that noronen will be the goalie to be dealt, for draft pick(s). Biron only leaves if the trade heavily benefits the sabres. That would be a stud defenseman.

Under no circumstances would I want Bertuzzi on this team. He still hasn't proven to me that he can be the elite player that he once was. I don't think the new NHL particulary caters to him, and at the Olypmics he showed a pure lack of discipline on several occasions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?statsId=1336

Id take 25 goals and 40 assists. But it really doesnt solve our issue - we need a good D man. So the trade would be dumb...but regier still might make it.

Imagine, just imagine, if darcy could pull off a 2 team deal..woah...he'd be big time then...

That was me me me. Now im signed in.

Guest Guest

I live in Vancouver, or nearby anyway. If our Sabres pick him up it will ruin team chemistry. The guy is a grumpy old man.

I don't think we want him in Buffalo.

Imagine this guy on our team but imagine him listening to Ruff and following our system.

Imagine him banging the boards and in front of the net.

Imagine him returning to pre-suspension form?

How could you pass that up?

The only problem is that it is a risk bringing him on. I don't think people need to worry about team chemistry we are not that fragile guys.

Or i am sure if you could get him for Biron which i doubt Vancouver is that stupid. Packaging him up with a draft pick could really net you a great d-man.

I am all for shane doan and derek morris though.

Imagine this guy on our team but imagine him listening to Ruff and following our system.

Imagine him banging the boards and in front of the net.

Imagine him returning to pre-suspension form?

How could you pass that up?

The only problem is that it is a risk bringing him on. I don't think people need to worry about team chemistry we are not that fragile guys.

Or i am sure if you could get him for Biron which i doubt Vancouver is that stupid. Packaging him up with a draft pick could really net you a great d-man.

I am all for shane doan and derek morris though.

His lack of discipline really concerns me. He's 31, not likely in my mind to learn it now. Plus I really don't see him returning to his level in 2002-2003.

Ruff always does better with players who are either young or veterans without egos. Bertuzzi doesn't fit into either one of those categories. Look at how guys like Peca, Hasek, Kozlov, Woolley, Satan, etc...left town. Many of those players complained about Ruff's "system" and all of them had something to say about this organization as a whole, whether it was management or whatever. It is certainly intriguing at first glace to see Bertuzzi in a Sabres uni, but if you ocnsider how "Star" players clash with Ruff, and the fact that he plays undisciplined at times, it doesn't make sense for us. Plus I am getting tired of seeing Fitzpatrick screwing up our defense....we absolutely must get another defenseman. As far as Bertuzzi goes, I can give you $5.2 million reasons why I don't think he's a good fit for us.

Look at how guys like Peca, Hasek, Kozlov, Woolley, Satan, etc...left town. any of those players complained about Ruff's "system" and all of them had something to say about this organization as a whole, whether it was management or whatever.

Good job. Add Gilmour to that list.

This team does not need another forward. I don't care who it is.

the thing i dont like about that statement...Ruff needs certain players to win? That means he isn't a very good coach because that is adversity and he should handle that. It makes me wonder if he has what it takes because you are saying he can't win with players that are great and have egos. I am sure most of them making 5 million do.

the thing i dont like about that statement...Ruff needs certain players to win? That means he isn't a very good coach because that is adversity and he should handle that. It makes me wonder if he has what it takes because you are saying he can't win with players that are great and have egos. I am sure most of them making 5 million do.

That doesnt really make sense. Every coach has their own system, and they are going to do what's most succesful for them. Look at the New England Patriots...they won 3 Super Bowls because they had a coach that knew how to fit players into his own system, and it worked because he had the right guys...they weren't all-stars, they were just the RIGHT players. Look at the 1980 US Olympic team for further proof. It's just like Herb Brooks said, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm just looking for the right players." I think he is a great coach because it is more adversity to win with a bunch of no-names than win with a dream team. BTW not every great player has an ego. Look at the names I mentioned though...and you can throw Gilmour on the list....all pretty good players, all huge egos.

I know I'm thowing football at you, but I think the analogy holds:

The Sabres are following the New England Patriots concept of operation. There are no players on that team that physically gifted. They seem to be abnormally loaded at some positions (like TE), and thin at others (LB, CB). They do have well above average player intelligence, and people who are committed to the team.

Will it work? I don't know, but I really haven't seen the impact of any one Sabre injury this year the way other teams have. We may not stack up against many team's healthy rosters, but our backups seem to be much better than theirs. Given the length of the season, and especially this season, I like depth even at the cost of an all star 1st line.

That doesnt really make sense. Every coach has their own system, and they are going to do what's most succesful for them. Look at the New England Patriots...they won 3 Super Bowls because they had a coach that knew how to fit players into his own system, and it worked because he had the right guys...they weren't all-stars, they were just the RIGHT players. Look at the 1980 US Olympic team for further proof. It's just like Herb Brooks said, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm just looking for the right players." I think he is a great coach because it is more adversity to win with a bunch of no-names than win with a dream team. BTW not every great player has an ego. Look at the names I mentioned though...and you can throw Gilmour on the list....all pretty good players, all huge egos.

I started my reply before you posted yours... ;)

Well put. I especially like the reference to the 1980 Olympic team. There are 2 places in hockey where you can make an all star team, and they will make a great team together. Those two places are NHL 06, and NHL 2K6.

Look at the Rangers of the past few years. They had the best players money could buy. What about Pittsburgh? At the beginning of this year, everyone said, with names like that, how could they not be a cup contender? Let's hope that management keeps this in mind when acquiring players at the deadline.

Bertuzzi has too many distractions off the ice, with the on-going onslaught of legal papers filed by Steve Moore (rightly so). The locker room does not need this distraction. Plus, he is just not that great to risk the chemistry imbalance for the potential downside.

Since when has Sports Illustrated put out any good hockey coverage? This faux Biron - Bertuzzi deal just furthers my point....

Back in ~'78 they had a good cover article on Steve Shutt and Guy Lafleur. I can't think of many good / useful ones since.

Archived