Dale Tallon

wonderbread

How did Bowman end up in Chicago? Doesn't he still live in Amherst? If he had any interest in getting involved with a NHL team how were the Sabres not involved in that? You have one of the greatest hockey minds in NHL history living in our backyard and Sabres fans are stuck with Regier and Quinn?

Scotty tends to cherry-pick his spots, doesn't he? Going to Montreal was a nice gig. When things got stale there, there appeared to be a nice American franchise that was always a perennial (regular season) powerhouse that couldn't quite get over the top. Mario Lemieux? Jaromir Jagr? Sounds good. Detroit? Nice. Chicago on the rise? There goes Scotty. Sabres post-lockout would have been a nice spot for him. As someone else said, no way LQ would want that.

Yeah, why hasn't he been put in charge of the Sabres?!?!??! Wait a minute, somebody remind me why he lives in Amherst. :wallbash:

:ph34r: To the youngsters on this board, Bowman was responsible for building the Sabres teams that couldn't advance past the first round of the playoffs for 13 straight years. (He was probably one of the worst GMs in Sabres history) :ph34r:

Well, Scotty was there only for the first four years of the 10-year drought (1983-1993). You can always argue the organization needed some time to recover from his mistakes, but I don't see how the very late 80s and early 90s can be pinned on Scotty.

It's funny how limited some Sabres fans have become in their thinking that they believe every move made in the NHL is an indictment on the Sabres.

Do you honestly believe, knowing where the Blackhawks had been before Tallon took over, that any type of outside evaluation would reflect negatively on his tenure in Chicago?

Chicago was a dead franchise. The team sucked. The attendence sucked. The relations with its storied alumni sucked. Tallon turned all of that around and got his team to the Conference finals ahead of schedule, and he did most of his work under the worst owner in sports, before Scotty Bowman showed up.

But, by all means, hold him accountable and replace him with a guy with no GM experience at all. :thumbdown:

The wheels were in motion before Tallon took over. Seabrook, Keith, Byfuglien, Barker, Bolland... A lot of good players were already in the sytem. That's a nice position to come into as a GM. He made some good moves to add to it, like the earier mentioned Sharp deal. Then there's the timing of having Toews and Kane fall into his lap. I hate praising a guy for obvious picks like those ones, but in the big picture, things have gone well for him. I guess time will tell though if this recent spending spree catches up to them quickly.

I really wonder if a lot of other people would've had the same success if put in his shoes.

Scotty tends to cherry-pick his spots, doesn't he? Going to Montreal was a nice gig. When things got stale there, there appeared to be a nice American franchise that was always a perennial (regular season) powerhouse that couldn't quite get over the top. Mario Lemieux? Jaromir Jagr? Sounds good. Detroit? Nice. Chicago on the rise? There goes Scotty. Sabres post-lockout would have been a nice spot for him. As someone else said, no way LQ would want that.

Yeah, he left Montreal because he want to be a GM, and the Knoxes gave him that opportunity. After blowing it in Buffalo, he was on the fringes of hockey until Bob Johnson died, giving him the opportunity to coach the rising Penguins.

He took over Detroit, which was floundering, and brought in a bunch of aging Soviet players.

He left Detroit to work with his son in Chicago, but it looks like just working with him wasn't enough, and he's used his influence to have him replace a top-notch GM who revitalized hockey in Chicago.

He didn't draft Sharp. He picked him up from Philly in now very one-sided deal. Also, Sharp was originally a 3rd round pick, so that hurts the "anyone woud've drafted him" idea.

Sorry. With knowing that now, wow they should have kept him. Blind squirrels and acorns.....

How did Bowman end up in Chicago? Doesn't he still live in Amherst? If he had any interest in getting involved with a NHL team how were the Sabres not involved in that? You have one of the greatest hockey minds in NHL history living in our backyard and Sabres fans are stuck with Regier and Quinn?

Bowman's in Chicago because his son, Stan, has been with the Blackhawks for the last 8 or 9 years. Stan and John McDonough seemed instrumental in bringing Scotty to Chicago. I think Scotty as Senior Advisor to McDonough may have pulled a power play to get Stan the GM job.

Interesting note is that Tallon has actually been re-assigned to a new position, so he was not outright fired. Looks like his new role is Senior Advisor for Hockey Operations. I don't get it, but whatever. Perhaps there was a transition plan in place. Also, given Stan Bowman's role prior to taking over GM, I wonder how much blame he should get for the whole RFA fiasco as well, but being a Bowman, he probably gets off scot (no pun intended) free for it.

Mirtle says Havlat might have something to say here....

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/7/14/94907...s-out-on-tallon

Sounds like the Bowman's grabbed power.

I don't think it is something Scotty would be afraid to do or advise.

He was never much interested in sparing feelings.

I'd say a guy is "like a father to me" if he gave me an absurdly overinflated contract too.

Mirtle says Havlat might have something to say here....

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/7/14/94907...s-out-on-tallon

Sounds like the Bowman's grabbed power.

I don't think it is something Scotty would be afraid to do or advise.

He was never much interested in sparing feelings.

I think this sentence could be used in terms of Darcy.

"It's easy to infer that, when Havlat wasn't offered more than a one-year contract, he feels it wasn't Tallon's doing ? despite the fact he was then the GM."

help me out here...how did taking an irrelevant hockey club for say,...the past 10 years and turning into a contender filled with young burgeoning talent become something terrible?

With a last name like Bowman, this is politics at its worst.

Another interesting comment from Havlet which probably can be used with Darcy:

"My negotiation with Chicago was not between Dale and my agent, it was between Dale and (team president John) McDonough,"

The rest of the comment; not so much <_< :

"Because McDonough couldn't stand that Dale was so successful and getting the credit for building the Hawks from a last place team to making the Conference Final in three short years. Remember, we were also the youngest team in the NHL last year."

DREGER: WHAT LED TO CHICAGO'S FRONT OFFICE SHUFFLE?

Archived