Dale Tallon

wonderbread

Dale Tallon was let go today. Bowman's son Stan now in charge. It is refreshing to see someone be held accountable for mistakes being made.

Linker Stinker

I'm not getting a working link but if true it is for his lack of envelop addressing skills that made them overpay by about 4 million dollars this year in Chicago.

He screwed up with the RFA offers.

Tallon will land on his feet. - he's built a nice team there.

From what I can tell, this is more politics than anything Tallon did wrong. The whole late RFA qualifying offers is a moot point since he got all of them under contract anyway. Frankly, even if he had gotten the qualifying offers done in time, he likely would have re-signed those guys for about the same value anyway since Barker and Versteeg were coming off big years anyway. And, it didn't seem like he overpaid much for the other guys like Eager. Personally, I thought the Hossa signing was a good one with a low cap hit even though the term is longer than necessary. How can you hold a guy accountable for making it to the Conference Finals? Since McDonough was brought in, Savard was fired, Scotty Bowman was brought in, and now Tallon has been fired. Seems like this has more to do with McDonough and Scotty Bowman (not Stan) calling the shots than anything Tallon did. That's what it seems like to me, at least. It seems like adviser Scotty advised McDonough that his son should be GM.

Refreshing? If true, this is an utterly stupid move, probably worse than Montreal dumping Roy.

I wasn't commenting on whether it was a good move just that it is refreshing to see that there is some measure accountbility. Personally I feel that Tallon has done a great job there bringing in top notch talent (albeit with great picks) as well as thru FA. As was mentioned about could this be due to them seeing the writing on the wall? Not sure but I do think that they will have a hell of a time getting Kane and Toews under contract next year.

Plus I figured I'd try to take some of the heat off of Good old Lindy for his comments.

From what I can tell, this is more politics than anything Tallon did wrong. The whole late RFA qualifying offers is a moot point since he got all of them under contract anyway. Frankly, even if he had gotten the qualifying offers done in time, he likely would have re-signed those guys for about the same value anyway since Barker and Versteeg were coming off big years anyway. And, it didn't seem like he overpaid much for the other guys like Eager. Personally, I thought the Hossa signing was a good one with a low cap hit even though the term is longer than necessary. How can you hold a guy accountable for making it to the Conference Finals? Since McDonough was brought in, Savard was fired, Scotty Bowman was brought in, and now Tallon has been fired. Seems like this has more to do with McDonough and Scotty Bowman (not Stan) calling the shots than anything Tallon did. That's what it seems like to me, at least. It seems like adviser Scotty advised McDonough that his son should be GM.

I'm leaning that way too, but you really have to wonder if they wanted the guy out so badly, why did they let him have any hand in this offseason? The timing is very strange.

I wasn't commenting on whether it was a good move just that it is refreshing to see that there is some measure accountbility. Personally I feel that Tallon has done a great job there bringing in top notch talent (albeit with great picks) as well as thru FA. As was mentioned about could this be due to them seeing the writing on the wall? Not sure but I do think that they will have a hell of a time getting Kane and Toews under contract next year.

Plus I figured I'd try to take some of the heat off of Good old Lindy for his comments.

how long till we see a thread on someone wanting Tallon to replace Darcy?

I'm leaning that way too, but you really have to wonder if they wanted the guy out so badly, why did they let him have any hand in this offseason? The timing is very strange.

Actually the timing is pretty good. The roster there is pretty much set.

They got through the draft, free agency, development camp, and arbitration is not an issue.

It's going to be pretty quite there for a few months.

Well I am not sure about a whole thread but a few posts will be put out for sure. That and a Bucky Gleason article in the news.

of course Bucky is going to be all over it like a swarm of flies

considering Joe Di Penta got about 3-4 separate threads, i'd rate Tallon at least a few threads!

They got through the draft, free agency, development camp, and arbitration is not an issue.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking to. Aside from trade deadline day, GMs pretty much are doing most of their work from right after the Stanley Cup Finals to just about the middle of July, early August. Since the Hawks have done most of their free agency work and they have no arbitration hearings coming up, the role of the GM is pretty much over for Chicago until the season starts. So, now is probably the best time to go forward with a new GM.

With regard to Shrader's point, my guess is that it wasn't so much personal as it was McDonough wanted his own guys in place. You see this often with companies when a new CEO is hired, he fires most of the existing staff and brings in his own guys. Same with the NFL when a new coach is hired. My guess is that this is more McDonough and Scotty Bowman trying to put their stamp on this team going forward than anything Tallon did. I don't think you can really fault Tallon aside from some of the bad contracts such as Huet and Campbell and to a lesser extent Hossa.

But, I'm sure they are going to make some trades that will create room for Toews and Kane next year. Specifically, I expect Byfuglien to be gone, Patrick Sharp to be gone, and Brent Sopel to be gone for sure before the beginning of the 2010-2011 season if not sooner. And, if they can find a taker for Campbell's contract he could be gone as well, but his contract is so big, I can't see anyone taking that on unless the cap skyrockets sometime soon.

That wasn't the point. They let Tallon do everything and then dumped him. So this team is his, not Bowman's (unless Tallon had already lost control). If you know you want Tallon out, don't you get rid of him before he has the chance to handcuff you to the cap?

I doubt it has anything to do with accountability. More like Bowman using his leverage to get his son a job.

Tallon has enough in the bank to cover these 'mistakes,' but Scotty is looking to start a family business, and the Blackhawks seem to be happy to oblige.

Displaced Buffalonian/Hawks season ticket holder is behind this post. I hope this qualifies my "expertise" in some way.

This was way more than politics. Tallon blew it royally. It goes beyond the fact that he knows nothing about the American postal system or he cant utilize FEDEX.com. He way way way overpaid for Byfugelin. Three years for $9 million???? Alot of jack for a guy who is not even playing his natural position anymore. Insert Jason Peters reference here. Not even Regier would have done that. Refer to older posts about how he blew it for Campbell. He didnt realize that was fools gold??? Especially when San Jose didnt even bother to make him a deal. How about that wondeful deal for Christobal Huet??? Insert druken salior reference here. Those were done before Bowman got there by the way.

Google Brent Sopel statstics from last year. A tasty cap hit of $2 million that runs through 2010-2011. . Pretty nice for a guy who is a sixth defenseman right now. I didnt know it costs so much to solidfy the defense blue line of the Rockford Icehogs where he has been playing for the last fifty games of the year.

Drafting Patrick Kane, Joanathan Toews and Patrick Sharp doesnt exactly put you in Bill Polian's class either. I could have done that with a Laptop computer and Howie Meeker sitting next to me.

This team will be hovering around eighth or ninth like another team I know that is near and dear to my heart. The arguments have already begun about which of the big three you let go. Hopefully it will be Kane.

I doubt it has anything to do with accountability. More like Bowman using his leverage to get his son a job.

Tallon has enough in the bank to cover these 'mistakes,' but Scotty is looking to start a family business, and the Blackhawks seem to be happy to oblige.

It's funny to read Sabre fans so unfamiliar with accountability that they can't recognize it.

It appears the Blackhawks went through a "thorough evaluation unlike any in team history." The difference from the one the Sabres did is that is was done by someone who actually knows hockey not someone who knows Tom Golisano and that's it. What the Hawks did is exactly what the Sabres should have done. Bring in a hockey man from the outside to do a real evaluation.

What the Hawks did is exactly what the Sabres should have done. Bring in a hockey man from the outside to do a real evaluation.

On that, we can agree. AND that person should not have been hired by Larry Quinn. TG doesn't know about hockey and wants to stay hands off? Fine, but he needed to be advised by an impartial person that does. He needed to know if LQ is micromanaging too much. LQ may be owner, but he's a minority owner. TG, is still the majority owner.

It's funny to read Sabre fans so unfamiliar with accountability that they can't recognize it.

It appears the Blackhawks went through a "thorough evaluation unlike any in team history." The difference from the one the Sabres did is that is was done by someone who actually knows hockey not someone who knows Tom Golisano and that's it. What the Hawks did is exactly what the Sabres should have done. Bring in a hockey man from the outside to do a real evaluation.

It's funny how limited some Sabres fans have become in their thinking that they believe every move made in the NHL is an indictment on the Sabres.

Do you honestly believe, knowing where the Blackhawks had been before Tallon took over, that any type of outside evaluation would reflect negatively on his tenure in Chicago?

Chicago was a dead franchise. The team sucked. The attendence sucked. The relations with its storied alumni sucked. Tallon turned all of that around and got his team to the Conference finals ahead of schedule, and he did most of his work under the worst owner in sports, before Scotty Bowman showed up.

But, by all means, hold him accountable and replace him with a guy with no GM experience at all. :thumbdown:

On that, we can agree. AND that person should not have been hired by Larry Quinn. TG doesn't know about hockey and wants to stay hands off? Fine, but he needed to be advised by an impartial person that does. He needed to know if LQ is micromanaging too much. LQ may be owner, but he's a minority owner. TG, is still the majority owner.

How did Bowman end up in Chicago? Doesn't he still live in Amherst? If he had any interest in getting involved with a NHL team how were the Sabres not involved in that? You have one of the greatest hockey minds in NHL history living in our backyard and Sabres fans are stuck with Regier and Quinn?

How did Bowman end up in Chicago? Doesn't he still live in Amherst? If he had any interest in getting involved with a NHL team how were the Sabres not involved in that? You have one of the greatest hockey minds in NHL history living in our backyard and Sabres fans are stuck with Regier and Quinn?

Yeah, why hasn't he been put in charge of the Sabres?!?!??! Wait a minute, somebody remind me why he lives in Amherst. :wallbash:

:ph34r: To the youngsters on this board, Bowman was responsible for building the Sabres teams that couldn't advance past the first round of the playoffs for 13 straight years. (He was probably one of the worst GMs in Sabres history) :ph34r:

Because Quinn would never think about bringing someone like Bowman into the fold.

Archived