Joe Sakic to announce retirement

FogBat

If he's not first ballot, he's pretty close. Definitely a class act and a winner.

If he's not first ballot, I give up on hockey all together. Now if only they'd get it right and vote in Adam Oates, but that's a story for another day.

If he's not first ballot, I give up on hockey all together. Now if only they'd get it right and vote in Adam Oates, but that's a story for another day.

Agreed. Captain of two SC Champions, gold-medal winner, winner of the Conn Smythe, Lester Pearson and Hart trophies, 8th in career points, 500+ goals...if that doesn't get him in on the first ballot, there's something wrong.

If the 8th leading scorer in NHL history and one of six players with 600+ goals and 1000+ assists isn't a first ballot HoFer, no one is.

I'm always curious to see what some people think of Adam Oates and his chances. I still have no idea why he's been passed over so many times already.

If Ron Francis belongs there, Adam Oates belongs.

Thank you. That's the comparison I always use. Their points per game are basically identical (slight lead for Oates). The only difference is that Francis played for about 85 years.

Thank you. That's the comparison I always use. Their points per game are basically identical (slight lead for Oates). The only difference is that Francis played for about 85 years.

Okay, here's what I've got, but these are more excuses than they are reasons he isn't in yet. First, his class of 2007 was a really top notch class with Francis, Al MacInnis, Mark Messier, and Scott Stevens. 2008 had Glenn Anderson, Igor Larionov, and two non-hockey players including Ray Scapinello (the linesman). This year's class as we know are Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Brian Leetch, and Steve Yzerman. Based on what I am seeing, it more of a logjam than anything else that is preventing Adam Oates from getting in. Glenn Anderson had to wait about 8 years after he was initially eligible to get into the HHOF. I think you could make a case for putting Oates in over Scott Stevens and maybe over Anderson and Larionov (although his international hockey career is stupendous and must be accounted for in the Hockey Hall of Fame).

The only other thing that is likely preventing Oates from getting in is the lack of Stanley Cups. Everyone that has been inducted in the last three years that Oates has been eligible has won at least one Stanley Cup. If he had even one Cup, he's probably a lock to get in, but that probably hurts him in addition to the stiff competition the last three years he's been eligible. I think Oates likely gets in next year. I don't believe next year's class is very competitive, but I could be wrong on that. I think Oates was one of the greatest playmakers of his day, and he should be in HHOF.

I'm always curious to see what some people think of Adam Oates and his chances. I still have no idea why he's been passed over so many times already.

I absolutely believe Oates should be in - he was the best playmaker of his generation and it's not his fault he never played on a team good enough to win a Cup. I hate that argument.

If you put a gun to my head I'd say he's not in for 2 reasons:

1. Circumstances (absolute no brainer players plus annual limits)

2. The gay rumors that have plagued him. I have no idea if he's gay or not but it's always followed him around.

There's no doubt that there have been some strong classes. I can understand the 2007 "snub", but I can't see how he couldn't get in with last year's class. The main problem I have is that each year when the voting has come around there has been very little talk about him. Without really digging into things, I have to wonder why a guy like Luc Robitaille gets in over him. Is it the one cup or the fact that goals put in the seats? And like Darin pointed out, we're seeing guys like Robitaille and Anderson get in thanks in part to them playing on incredibly talented teams. How can you hold that against Oates?

Oh, and I might as well point out that it's not just a coincidence that Oates was Hull's center when he put up his 86 goals.

Watched the Joe Sakic retirement announcement on NHLN last night. Awesome. I got to wondering -- do championship organizations win, or do organizations win and then become championship organizations?

Because I honestly can't see the Sabres putting on an event like that. Or even a decent retirement ceremony. Says a lot, I think.

Then again, we never have any Joe Sakics. The Sabres have always seemed to be very tough on their best and brightest.

Archived