Pirates announce opponents for 2009-'10

wildcat48

Pirates announce opponents for 2009-?10

July 7, 2009

Portland, ME ? Portland Pirates fans have been heard loud and clear.

The Pirates announced today their opponents for the 2009-?10 season which includes the Syracuse Crunch and Rochester Americans.

For the last several years, the Pirates have kept their schedule reduced to the Eastern Conference for various reasons, last playing a Western Conference team (Toronto) in 2006, but adding Rochester and Syracuse to roster will add some variety to the 80-game schedule.

Read the rest of this entry ?

Intrigued by this part:

NOTES: The media spoke with Sabres? GM Darcy Regier today at their prospect camp in Lewiston, NY where he indicated that he plans to sign veterans for the Pirates this season in order to help fill the void due to the loss of Colin Murphy, Tyler Bouck and Mathieu Darche? The AHL announced today that they?ve suspended operations of the Iowa Chops due to violations of the league charter.

?The Iowa franchise has unfortunately been unable to remedy certain violations of the provisions of the league?s Constitution and By-Laws,? said American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews.

7 or 8 of those Iowa players were on the Pirates in 07-08. With Gord Dineen as Head Coach. I'm assuming some relation there.

Intrigued by this part:

NOTES: The media spoke with Sabres? GM Darcy Regier today at their prospect camp in Lewiston, NY where he indicated that he plans to sign veterans for the Pirates this season in order to help fill the void due to the loss of Colin Murphy, Tyler Bouck and Mathieu Darche? The AHL announced today that they?ve suspended operations of the Iowa Chops due to violations of the league charter.

?The Iowa franchise has unfortunately been unable to remedy certain violations of the provisions of the league?s Constitution and By-Laws,? said American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews.

7 or 8 of those Iowa players were on the Pirates in 07-08. With Gord Dineen as Head Coach. I'm assuming some relation there.

They're brothers. And since the Chops were the Ducks farm club, their roster was going to have a bunch of former Pirates.

So the teams get to put their own schedule together? I'm sure it has a lot to do with tight travel budgets, but that just seems strange.

They don't put the schedule together, but they provide the league with dates and opponents. From there, the league will build the schedule using that information. It will be released sometime in August after the NBA releases their schedule.

Instead of a screaming goat they have a screaming pig. :unsure: I think all sports teams logos should be screaming farm animals.

It is the mid-west. At one time Buffalo was considered the western frontier.

I do have to say that I thought the Iowa team should have been the Iowa Corn Stalk.

Archived