Getting preoccupied with size

nfreeman

check it out.

Out of the final 8 teams, Boston and Detroit are #6 and #8 in average height and weight. Pittsburgh is right in the middle.

If anyone has time to run the numbers and see where the Sabres would fit in on this list -- fire away.

Either way, though, I think a reasonable conclusion is that small isn't always bad and bigger isn't always better. (So PAFan has that going for him in his attempts to woo spndchz, which is nice.) You need a balance and you need a bunch of different skills/qualities. And bigger doesn't necessarily mean tougher.

I started working on this type of calculation earlier, but took a slightly different approach, which explains why I stopped after just two teams. My method was to take a weighted average of height/weight based on TOI. That way, a tall/heavy player like Chara would have more effect than a player like Peters; similar for a small player like Roy, who logs high TOI. I was specifically interested in checking Larry Quinn's comment that the Red Wings are the smallest team in the league. He are my results:

Detroit Red Wings

Forwards: 6' 0.2", 200.0 lbs

Defense: 6' 0.2", 197.3 lbs

Overall: 6' 0.2", 198.9 lbs

Buffalo Sabres

Forwards: 6' 0.5", 198.8 lbs

Defense: 6' 1.0", 201.0 lbs

Overall: 6' 0.7", 199.7 lbs

Unfortunately, there is no measure for how physical a player is. For example, compare 5' 11", 195 lbs Patrick Kaleta to 6' 3", 214 lbs Hank Tallinder; who is a "bigger" player?

check it out.

Out of the final 8 teams, Boston and Detroit are #6 and #8 in average height and weight. Pittsburgh is right in the middle.

If anyone has time to run the numbers and see where the Sabres would fit in on this list -- fire away.

Either way, though, I think a reasonable conclusion is that small isn't always bad and bigger isn't always better. (So PAFan has that going for him in his attempts to woo spndchz, which is nice.) You need a balance and you need a bunch of different skills/qualities. And bigger doesn't necessarily mean tougher.

What exactly is the point of this? If he's trying to make a statement about how size and age effect a team's success, he needs to look at the whole league, not just the final 8 teams. What if these the 8 largest or oldest teams in the league? That 6 and 8 for Boston/Detroit doesn't mean a thing in this context.

I started working on this type of calculation earlier, but took a slightly different approach, which explains why I stopped after just two teams. My method was to take a weighted average of height/weight based on TOI. That way, a tall/heavy player like Chara would have more effect than a player like Peters; similar for a small player like Roy, who logs high TOI. I was specifically interested in checking Larry Quinn's comment that the Red Wings are the smallest team in the league. He are my results:

Detroit Red Wings

Forwards: 6' 0.2", 200.0 lbs

Defense: 6' 0.2", 197.3 lbs

Overall: 6' 0.2", 198.9 lbs

Buffalo Sabres

Forwards: 6' 0.5", 198.8 lbs

Defense: 6' 1.0", 201.0 lbs

Overall: 6' 0.7", 199.7 lbs

Unfortunately, there is no measure for how physical a player is. For example, compare 5' 11", 195 lbs Patrick Kaleta to 6' 3", 214 lbs Hank Tallinder; who is a "bigger" player?

Nice analysis Carp. That's worth suggesting to Mirtle.

What exactly is the point of this? If he's trying to make a statement about how size and age effect a team's success, he needs to look at the whole league, not just the final 8 teams. What if these the 8 largest or oldest teams in the league? That 6 and 8 for Boston/Detroit doesn't mean a thing in this context.

Well, based on Carp's post, it's unlikely that these are the 8 largest teams. And I think it will be interesting to see whether small beats big within this sample -- especially Detroit vs. Anaheim, which is your classic skill-vs-brawn matchup. But your point is a good one albeit curmudgeonly stated.

And I think it will be interesting to see whether small beats big within this sample -- especially Detroit vs. Anaheim, which is your classic skill-vs-brawn matchup.

Anaheim Ducks

Forwards: 6' 1.5", 203.0 lbs

Defense: 6' 2.7", 206.0 lbs

Overall: 6' 2.0", 204.5 lbs

And their big boys on defense (especially Pronger) actually play big!

Anaheim Ducks

Forwards: 6' 1.5", 203.0 lbs

Defense: 6' 2.7", 206.0 lbs

Overall: 6' 2.0", 204.5 lbs

For fun, here's what I get if I use playoff TOI as weights:

Anaheim Ducks

Forwards: 6' 1.3", 201.0 lbs

Defense: 6' 2.3", 208.7 lbs

Overall: 6' 1.7", 204.2 lbs

Archived