Two questions about our top 5 scoring forwards...

LabattBlue

47 members have voted

1. 1. You have to trade one, who do you get rid of?

• Roy
    • Vanek
    • Pominville
    • Connolly
    • Stafford
  2. 2. Who brings the best return in a trade?

• Roy
    • Vanek
    • Pominville
    • Connolly
    • Stafford

Someone mentioned Gerbe coming up. NO WAY would I rely on that dude to provide anything more than we have. If some of you think Connolly is an injury waiting to happen, Gerbe is triple that IMHO.

I say we package him up and trade him ASAP before he gets wrecked in a real NHL game.

I agree. Not only for the reasons you stated, but his stock is still very high despite failing to do anything when recalled to Buffalo and for the fact we have more small guys down the road who will be up soon.... Paul Byron and Tyler Ennis. There just isn't room for all of them. Ennis looks the most promising so i wouldn't touch him and Byron doesn't have much trade value. Gerbe could be packaged with picks or a MacArthur and get a real nice return IMO.

The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that moving Roy is going to be the only way to shake up this line up. In my ideal scenario, any team interested in Roy and his cap friendly contract would be required to take Hecht and his contract off their hands. A lot will depend on what the team really thinks is the potential of Gerbe and Ennis because in my opinion, there is almost no way that you can have 2 of your top 6 forwards being under 5'9".

If you were somehow able to move Roy, Hecht and Tallinder and acquire a top 4 pick in the process ( I am not saying this would be the actual deal but part of a few deals. I don't guess at trade possibilities) , you free up almost $10 million in cap space and give yourself a chance at bringing in someone like Jay B. and a veteran center like a John Madden and an agitator like Ian Laperrire as well as that top 4 pick.

Agree wholeheartedly with the bold parts ... the second paragraph just sounds too good to be true. I worry that even if they clear the cap space, it might be a tough sell to bring in certain free agents because of the perception the team is soft and the organization is cheap. If they are willing to win a bidding war or two, they can do it, but that doesn't seem like their style. I suspect some of the new personality will have to come in trade, a la Rivet, as opposed to free agents. But I love your plan.

If you were somehow able to move Roy, Hecht and Tallinder and acquire a top 4 pick in the process ( I am not saying this would be the actual deal but part of a few deals. I don't guess at trade possibilities) , you free up almost $10 million in cap space and give yourself a chance at bringing in someone like Jay B. and a veteran center like a John Madden and an agitator like Ian Laperrire as well as that top 4 pick.

For next year, but only $7.5 million after that. I want Tallinder gone before next year, but I don't consider his contract as savings when talking about bringing in anyone with a long-term contract. Hecht gives you three years; Roy four years.

I haven't gone back to see if anyone has pointed this out yet, but one thing about Roy that makes it unlikely that we will trade him this year is that he is perfect for a cash-strapped, rather than cap-strapped, team like the Sabres. While anyone would love his $4 million cap hit, his salary next year is actually less than that ($3.5 million.) He would have great value to a cap-strapped, big-market team in a couple of years when they can afford his $5 million + salary, while enjoying his $4 million cap hit, but right now, he has the type of contract that the Sabres need.

I also agree with those that have said that we better be acquiring another scoring line center (possibly in a different deal) or we're in trouble down the middle again, especially if the center we keep is Connolly.

Hop on the "Trade Roy Bus". There is plenty of room and time to get on board! :rolleyes:

You know I hate being part of the crowd. Fact of the matter is that I don't hate Roy but I do see moving him as the best solution given the expected parameters we are working with. If they were a team that spent to the cap and was willing to buy out mistakes, I'd keep him. move him to second line left wing and not look to him as any kind of leader on my team.

Fact of the matter is that I don't hate Roy but I do see moving him as the best solution given the expected parameters we are working with. If they were a team that spent to the cap and was willing to buy out mistakes, I'd keep him. move him to second line left wing and not look to him as any kind of leader on my team.

I agree with everything you are saying.

The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that moving Roy is going to be the only way to shake up this line up. In my ideal scenario, any team interested in Roy and his cap friendly contract would be required to take Hecht and his contract off their hands. A lot will depend on what the team really thinks is the potential of Gerbe and Ennis because in my opinion, there is almost no way that you can have 2 of your top 6 forwards being under 5'9".

:thumbsup:

Trade one of our core forwards, sign Jay B. as UFA, bring in a vet forward (Knuble, Madden, Grier). It'd be a good start.

You know I hate being part of the crowd. Fact of the matter is that I don't hate Roy but I do see moving him as the best solution given the expected parameters we are working with. If they were a team that spent to the cap and was willing to buy out mistakes, I'd keep him. move him to second line left wing and not look to him as any kind of leader on my team.
I agree with everything you are saying.
:thumbsup:

Trade one of our core forwards, sign Jay B. as UFA, bring in a vet forward (Knuble, Madden, Grier). It'd be a good start.

I agree with most of the above but I still don't think they're going to trade Roy. As for "best solution", I assume you mean the most likely to get us what we need to get in return for the trade -- not what would be best for the Sabres ideally, because keeping Roy (as Twebster prefers) would, I think, be the best move. I think fire-saling Roy just to create cap space for a UFA would be a bad move for the Sabres -- Roy costs $4MM and a UFA who would be better than him would be $7MM.

Having said that, would you trade Roy and Hecht for Pronger, who is entering the last year of his contract? Talk about the kind of guy we need!

Archived