Players I've been watching in the Playoffs

darksabre

Keith Tkachuk - A veteran left winger who is an upcoming UFA. Current salary of 4.5 mil. If we could make moves to get him under the cap, he would make a killer free agency signing.

Cam Janssen - A young right winger for the Blues, RFA after next season with a very low price tag. A player who brings a physical presence and a lot of passion and could have trade potential because his play is going to get him a big raise in free agency.

Ryan Kesler - A Canuck, young center who plays well and will be an RFA after next season and is likely going to want a decent payout. At only 1.75mil per year right now, his price could double. Might be a good player to try and trade for, especially to fill our center issues.

Most of Anaheim is coming up for free agency after this season, so there are any number of players that could be had from them because there is no way Anaheim resigns them all.

Todd Marchant - UFA after this season, veteran center only making 2.66mil this season.

Rob Niedermayer - See Todd Marchant, only cheaper.

Scott Niedermayer - It's Scott Niedermayer. Expensive D man, but if we can make cap room, he's a UFA.

Moving on from Anaheim to Chicago

Cam Barker - Young, cheap, but effective D man who is an upcoming RFA. Would make a great blueline addition and has a ton of assists on the Power Play.

Calgary

Adrian Aucoin - vet D man with a cannon of a shot. UFA after this year and would make a great veteran presence on D. currently making 4mil and has been for a while.

Mike Cammalleri - excellent veteran center who is going to fetch big bucks as a UFA this offseason. A pipe dream maybe, but everyone has their price, and if the Sabres are serious, this guy would make a killer addition.

What do you guys think about these guys? Any other players getting playoff experience this year that you'd love to have on the Sabres come July 1st? Pipe dreams or no, there are some players out there that could easily make the Sabres a better team.

Names that jumped out at me:

Tkachuk...possibly. He's getting quite old now, but he would provide solid leadership on the team (not to mention a bigger physical presence at the forward position). For 3.5 to 4 million, he might be worth looking into.

I like Kesler. He'd be an excellent 2nd line center for the Sabres. In fact, if the Sabres were to make some sort of trade involving TC or Roy, Kesler would be the perfect substitution. He plays an honest two way game, and has potential to be close to a point per game center.

I dont like the idea of signing Cammalleri. He's the type of player the Sabres should avoid. He strikes me as another smallish center with huge ego issues. He'll prolly attempt to fetch 5-6 million in the off season. Id rather see the Sabres spend that money else where.

I am sure all these players will be discussed during the "thorough evaluation" process. :wallbash:

Lol. You mean the thorough evaluation process that only took 2 days to decide that both Ruff and Regier should remain in the organization? :lol:

Quinn :wallbash:

One person that has intrigued me throughout the year, and won't break the bank, is Mike Knuble of the Flyers. I'm pretty sure he is unrestricted after this year and, at 36, still puts up good numbers. While he does usually play on top lines with the Flyers, usually Gagne and Richards, he gets a lot of his goals from hanging around the net and getting good rebounds. I don't think the Sabres have enough guys that hang around the net and go for rebounds consistently. He's making $2.8 million dollars this year so he will be affordable if he wants to continue playing.

One person that has intrigued me throughout the year, and won't break the bank, is Mike Knuble of the Flyers. I'm pretty sure he is unrestricted after this year and, at 36, still puts up good numbers. While he does usually play on top lines with the Flyers, usually Gagne and Richards, he gets a lot of his goals from hanging around the net and getting good rebounds. I don't think the Sabres have enough guys that hang around the net and go for rebounds consistently. He's making $2.8 million dollars this year so he will be affordable if he wants to continue playing.

Yup. Ive stated my interest in Knuble before as well. I'd be all for replacing one of the younger forwards on the team with this experienced vet. He'd provide veteran leadership on the ice, and knock in 20+ goals too. Win win. :thumbsup:

For 2.5 mill, he could be ours this summer.

Keith Tkachuk - A veteran left winger who is an upcoming UFA. Current salary of 4.5 mil. If we could make moves to get him under the cap, he would make a killer free agency signing.

Cam Janssen - A young right winger for the Blues, RFA after next season with a very low price tag. A player who brings a physical presence and a lot of passion and could have trade potential because his play is going to get him a big raise in free agency.

Ryan Kesler - A Canuck, young center who plays well and will be an RFA after next season and is likely going to want a decent payout. At only 1.75mil per year right now, his price could double. Might be a good player to try and trade for, especially to fill our center issues.

Most of Anaheim is coming up for free agency after this season, so there are any number of players that could be had from them because there is no way Anaheim resigns them all.

Todd Marchant - UFA after this season, veteran center only making 2.66mil this season.

Rob Niedermayer - See Todd Marchant, only cheaper.

Scott Niedermayer - It's Scott Niedermayer. Expensive D man, but if we can make cap room, he's a UFA.

Moving on from Anaheim to Chicago

Cam Barker - Young, cheap, but effective D man who is an upcoming RFA. Would make a great blueline addition and has a ton of assists on the Power Play.

Calgary

Adrian Aucoin - vet D man with a cannon of a shot. UFA after this year and would make a great veteran presence on D. currently making 4mil and has been for a while.

Mike Cammalleri - excellent veteran center who is going to fetch big bucks as a UFA this offseason. A pipe dream maybe, but everyone has their price, and if the Sabres are serious, this guy would make a killer addition.

What do you guys think about these guys? Any other players getting playoff experience this year that you'd love to have on the Sabres come July 1st? Pipe dreams or no, there are some players out there that could easily make the Sabres a better team.

I like your ideas EXCEPT for these:

Tkachuk: As someone said a couple of months ago, he'll just wind up back in Missouri, anyway.

Cammallieri: Someone will overpay this guy, and he'll get $5 or $6M. I don't want that "someone" to be Golisano. Cammalleri is ok, but not for that kind of cash.

Scott N.: If he plays another season, and plays it without his bro, it will be for more compensation than he's currently worth.

--

Aucoin, I'm good with, but not for too much money.

I like your ideas EXCEPT for these:

Tkachuk: As someone said a couple of months ago, he'll just wind up back in Missouri, anyway.

Cammallieri: Someone will overpay this guy, and he'll get $5 or $6M. I don't want that "someone" to be Golisano. Cammalleri is ok, but not for that kind of cash.

Scott N.: If he plays another season, and plays it without his bro, it will be for more compensation than he's currently worth.

--

Aucoin, I'm good with, but not for too much money.

Tkachuk hasn't been a leader since Winnipeg and has disappeared in the playoffs his whole career. Just being old doesn't make somebody a leader.

Cammallieri is just another small forward that they already have too many of.

Scott N just isn't realistic.

Knuble, not a bad idea.

Tkachuk hasn't been a leader since Winnipeg and has disappeared in the playoffs his whole career. Just being old doesn't make somebody a leader.

Cammallieri is just another small forward that they already have too many of.

Scott N just isn't realistic.

Knuble, not a bad idea.

Tkachuk has looked great against the Canucks though, even if they can't seem to buy a win. He's played with a lot of heart.

I agree on Cammalleri and Scott N.

I do like the suggestion of Knuble also. Dude plays a good game.

Tkachuk is currently playing in his 13th playoffs. His team is down 3 zip to the Canucks. Tkachuk's teams have made it out of the first round twice in 13 attempts. 2 times! Sorry, not worth the money especially at his age and with his playoff history.

Kesler will be on the Canucks for many, many years to come. He recently got a slap on the wrist from his agent and the NHLPA for suggesting that current Canucks will need to take some sort of a paycut should they want to remain on a good, solid, competitive team for years to come. Kesler is not leaving Vancouver. Kesler is the cornerstone of the franchise and the Canucks wouldn't move him for any Sabre. Living 4 hours from Vancouver, I can assure you that Kesler to Buffalo is a pipe dream.

I just saw Mike Knuble outwork both Hal Gill and Brooks Orpik in a corner and come out with the puck. That for me is enough to sign him to this team.

What's this "outworking in a corner" you speak of? I haven't seen that in quite awhile.. :death:

One guy that's really been an interest of mine has been James Wisniewski of the Ducks. I wanted him when he played for Chicago and it was rumored they were trading him. I don't know how much he's going to be asking for, I am assuming around the $3-3.5 million range but he looks like a very good d-men. He's been laying his body out like crazy in the series vs. San Jose and last night he was everywhere. Anyone know where i can find block shots for this guy?

One guy that's really been an interest of mine has been James Wisniewski of the Ducks. I wanted him when he played for Chicago and it was rumored they were trading him. I don't know how much he's going to be asking for, I am assuming around the $3-3.5 million range but he looks like a very good d-men. He's been laying his body out like crazy in the series vs. San Jose and last night he was everywhere. Anyone know where i can find block shots for this guy?

According to NHL.com:

Regular season: 48 GP, 69 Blocked Shots, 90 Hits

Playoffs (to date): 3 GP, 3 Blocked Shots, 11 Hits

Archived