What Do the Red Wings Have that the Sabres Do Not

cgang

3. The Wings have been able to find great players in the late rounds of the draft. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were 7th rounders, Franzen was a 4th rounder and Lidstrom was a 2nd rounder.

Lidstrom doesn't belong on this list. Yes, it was a great pick, but a 2nd rounder is hardly a late round pick. I won't bother looking, but I'm sure we can find a long list of elite players taken in the 2nd round. Yes, it's a crap shoot at that point already, but nowhere near the level of the other 3 players you listed.

Yes, I know I'm nitpicking on this one, but it's a slow day and I'm finally getting a chance to read up on posts I missed in the past week.

They draft players with better hockey sense?

that is true. but sabres were not the only team to pass on many of their stars. even detroit drafted a bunch of bums several times and real studs later on. they have the best scouting in the world and still they made mistakes and relied on a ton of luck. drafting in the nhl isn't easy but i'd say sabres have done a pretty fair job....

I'm exposing my nerdiness here, but for the sake of answering all the questions: The population of the Detroit metro area is about five times larger than the population of the Buffalo metro area.

what does this have to do with anything?

detroit "passed" up on local boy ryan miller for 4 rounds....

No problem. And my math was off, too. I'm just thinking that Detroit pulls from a population base of about 4 million-plus, and even if you count the closest Southern Ontario communities, Buffalo is still only at about 1 million. That should make some difference in financial support.

I'm exposing my nerdiness here, but for the sake of answering all the questions: The population of the Detroit metro area is about five times larger than the population of the Buffalo metro area.

Detroit's economy can't possibly be better than Buffalo's, can it? Aren't both cities near the top of the list of the poorest in the country? And it's Detroit that's had problems filling the building the last couple of seasons, not Buffalo.

Some other key differences between the franchises: Detroit never seems to use its market size or the economic woes of its territory as a crutch, as Buffalo has done so many times. And, although it might seem trivial, one franchise has a wonderful, classic logo and wouldn't think of replacing it to cash in. It must mean a lot to a hockey player to put on that sweater. I think they have better, more enthusiastic, less demanding and bitchy fans, too. And a better arena atmosphere that just oozes hockey.

Detroit's economy can't possibly be better than Buffalo's, can it? Aren't both cities near the top of the list of the poorest in the country? And it's Detroit that's had problems filling the building the last couple of seasons, not Buffalo.

Some other key differences between the franchises: Detroit never seems to use its market size or the economic woes of its territory as a crutch, as Buffalo has done so many times. And, although it might seem trivial, one franchise has a wonderful, classic logo and wouldn't think of replacing it to cash in. It must mean a lot to a hockey player to put on that sweater. I think they have better, more enthusiastic, less demanding and bitchy fans, too. And a better arena atmosphere that just oozes hockey.

Remember that Windsor is just over the river south and is about the size of Buffalo in itself.

Remember that Windsor is just over the river south and is about the size of Buffalo in itself.

Anyone have any data on Wings vs. Sabres average ticket price, revenues, profits, franchise value, etc.?

Awful post, sorry. :)

Anyone have any data on Wings vs. Sabres average ticket price, revenues, profits, franchise value, etc.?

Awful post, sorry. :)

Tickeys

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/3/24/80917...s-on-2009-10-ti

US Market sizes: (TV perspective)

http://www.fromtherink.com/2007/11/big-small-markets.html

Forbes Franchise Valuations (2007)

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/31/biz_07...ns_Revenue.html

What I did not see explicitly stated but implied in the solid ownership is; They know how to treat their players's, e.g. owner sends limo for the FA's they want to court, really sell them and their families on the town and in fact they treat them like family it is said and since it makes no sense in trying to repeat what so many have already said successfully, what he, and he, and he also said.

They draft players with better hockey sense?

Management that's committed to winning, and high-caliber players who will back that up by working for less $$...

A genius GM...

A scouting department that doesn't consist of nothing but 3 VCRs...

A smart coach who uses his players to the best of their abilities...

Players that pour their heart into just about every shift...

A real defense...

Ownership.

Detroit has done a lot of things right over the past two decades, including having the best European scouting system that lands them those great late-round players. There is, however, also what I like to call the "Harvard Effect" that is making it easier and easier to sustain. ..... They built their reputation as the best over a long period of time and now, because of that reputation, the best candidates apply there. This, in turn, allows them to accept and eventually graduate the best, which just improves their reputation further. It has become self-sustaining and self-fulfilling. With each additional year making the playoffs and each additional years winning the cup, players are willing to do more and more to play in Detroit, including taking deals that they wouldn't take with anyone else. This, in turn, makes it easier to finish in the top and take a shot at the cup in each successive year. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I don't expect the Sabres to be the Red Wings -- as stated, they are the gold standard, right now -- but there is certainly a lot of room in between that I expect the Sabres to move up in.

There are a lot of reasons for Detroit's success, not the least of which is that they spend close to 4 times what the Sabres spend on management level personnel. Just go to there web site and see all the vice presidents and consultants. One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is the luck involved in how Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen had turned out. Do you really think that if Detroit knew how these players were going to turn out that they would have waited to draft them?

All that being said, it will be interesting to see if their theory of not spending on goaltemding ends up being their downfall.

What is a General Manager? Thank You! I'll take "What do the Red Wings have that the Sabres do not" for $1,000 Alex.

Bitchin' rims on their sweaters. The Sabres don't have those.

While you're throwing that out there, I might as well point out how they have probably the most classic jersey style in hockey. God I love that jersey. But then again, I wore that style at St. Francis, watched it at BU, and now wear it for my men's league.

Archived