Ryan Smyth

nfreeman

You lose all credibility with your comments about Miller being a top 5 goalie. You want us to spend big money on Smyth who is old. We should use that money to sign a young elite player like Bouwmeester.

I think it starts with signing Bouwmeester. He is going to be expensive. But if we sign bouwmeester our defense is VERY solid. This will allow our skill players to play more of an offensive game. Which is what they're good at. Asking Derek Roy to be a Vezina winner is like asking an Elephant to do things mice do. It's not about effort, it's about ability. Derek Roy will never be able to man up on Vincent Lecalvier and shut him down. Not because he doesn't want to, or he isn't trying but because he's 5'10 and Vince is 6'4. We can't dump EVERYONE. We have a core of players, we have to make our system to their strengths and change what we can when we can. We're an offensive team, i don't understand why we're not playing more offensively. I think an addition of Bouwmeester solidifies the back end so much where the oppositions top 2 lines are gonna face Jay or Rivet on the backend. That's a tough assignment for any scorer. And if during that time we're able to break a few goals.. with that back end and Ryan Miller. Sounds good to me.

I'm positively woody about the possibility of signing Gaborik. Like a Gaborik Connolly Pomminstein Line literally gets me to half mast, but I think if we're being smart about it, Bouwmeester is the more practical addition. Love Gaborik though.

We aren't going to sign Gaborik, or Bouwmeester, or any other $7MM+ UFA. Not gonna happen. There isn't enough $$ in the budget. The only way they have room for a guy like Smyth is if they unload Hecht or Tallinder or both (or Pommer, but I don't think that's realistic). And no one is taking any of our expensive mistake contracts off of our hands unless we take one back in the deal. That's why a deal for a guy like Smyth is workable.

And BTW, Gaborik -- another expensive, fast, oft-injured, non-physical forward from a non-playoff team -- is exactly what the Sabres don't need.

We aren't going to sign Gaborik, or Bouwmeester, or any other $7MM+ UFA. Not gonna happen. There isn't enough $$ in the budget. The only way they have room for a guy like Smyth is if they unload Hecht or Tallinder or both (or Pommer, but I don't think that's realistic). And no one is taking any of our expensive mistake contracts off of our hands unless we take one back in the deal. That's why a deal for a guy like Smyth is workable.

And BTW, Gaborik -- another expensive, fast, oft-injured, non-physical forward from a non-playoff team -- is exactly what the Sabres don't need.

Gaborik is a great two-way player. You'd love him on the Sabres.

LOVE.

You can say that again. Are fans just not paying attention? The Sabres need size, grit, toughness and dare I say some reliability in the forward ranks. The Sabres have enough finesse hockey players. They need smash mouth, grinding forwards that will get their uniforms sweaty and bloody. I doubt the Sabres training staff had to do laundry more than once a week no matter how many games they played.

Trade Pomminstein.

I really don't think anyone would take him at $5.25MM per year for the next 5 years unless we took back a fairly horrendous contract commitment in the deal. Under those circumstances, I'd rather have Pommer.

I really don't think anyone would take him at $5.25MM per year for the next 5 years unless we took back a fairly horrendous contract commitment in the deal. Under those circumstances, I'd rather have Pommer.

Maybe Philly in to pair him with Briere again?

Maybe Philly in to pair him with Briere again?

Philly is already pretty close to being capped out for next year, so it's not workable.

(I'm assuming you were serious. If you were taking yet another shot at Briere, then I will pass on restarting that discussion.)

I think it starts with signing Bouwmeester. He is going to be expensive. But if we sign bouwmeester our defense is VERY solid. This will allow our skill players to play more of an offensive game. Which is what they're good at. Asking Derek Roy to be a Vezina winner is like asking an Elephant to do things mice do. It's not about effort, it's about ability. Derek Roy will never be able to man up on Vincent Lecalvier and shut him down. Not because he doesn't want to, or he isn't trying but because he's 5'10 and Vince is 6'4. We can't dump EVERYONE. We have a core of players, we have to make our system to their strengths and change what we can when we can. We're an offensive team, i don't understand why we're not playing more offensively. I think an addition of Bouwmeester solidifies the back end so much where the oppositions top 2 lines are gonna face Jay or Rivet on the backend. That's a tough assignment for any scorer. And if during that time we're able to break a few goals.. with that back end and Ryan Miller. Sounds good to me.

I'm positively woody about the possibility of signing Gaborik. Like a Gaborik Connolly Pomminstein Line literally gets me to half mast, but I think if we're being smart about it, Bouwmeester is the more practical addition. Love Gaborik though.

Vezina?? Derek Roy or Patrick Roy?

And I'd love to get Bouwmeester, but won't happen

Philly is already pretty close to being capped out for next year, so it's not workable.

(I'm assuming you were serious. If you were taking yet another shot at Briere, then I will pass on restarting that discussion.)

I was serious. If Philly wanted to make it happen they certainly could. You would have to figure some players with cap implications coming Buffalo's way.

My $0.02:

Ryan Smyth, not unlike Chris Drury in a way, is the embodiment of hard work and perseverance. He's a great hard working finisher from Western Canada; he has already proven to be be successful in powerplay formations similar to our own; and he would be a great example for our young ones. He has a work ethic deserving of a Buffalo uniform.

I also enjoy the idea of our powerplay units alternating Smyth and Vanek in front of the net.

If he were available for trade, even at $6.5M in his first year, he should be worth serious consideration.

I was serious. If Philly wanted to make it happen they certainly could. You would have to figure some players with cap implications coming Buffalo's way.

Plus Philly can afford to send high price players down to the minors.

If he were available for trade, even at $6.5M in his first year, he should be worth serious consideration.

Hell no. He is over paid and an underpreformer. I would rather have Mark Recchi a player the Sabres could have had and needed plenty of times yet failed to pull the trigger.

I would rather have Mark Recchi a player the Sabres could have had and needed plenty of times yet failed to pull the trigger.

Gee. You're right. We should pay the 41 year old rental to be the leader of the team for the next few years. Brilliant. What year would he retire and leave us in the exact same place? Next year? 2011? You can rather have whatever you want, but no team with long term plans for success will want Recchi.

We were willing to pay Drury $7M+ per year, and we've seen how our group of young players respond without that type of leadership. $4.5M-$6.5M for a major power play fixture and a on-ice and locker room leader is worthwhile.

I love the passion that Smyth plays with but doesn't he have a no trade/movement clause? I thought that was why he did not get traded at the deadline. Also, he has stated that he wants to stay in the western conference.

I think Miller is the only person who shows passion for the game on a nightly basis. I believe he could be a top 5 goalie in the league with an upgraded defense that would stick up for him. He has to be the most roughed up goalie in the league.

I would like to see us sign Chris Neil. I know he is not liked by any Sabres fans but he would stick up for his goalie and star players, won't cost much and he throws the other team off their game. He is like a board favorite, Pat Kaleta, but will stand up for himself. He is also like Matthew Barnaby, the guy you love on your team for how he upests the opposition but you hate when you play against.

I love the passion that Smyth plays with but doesn't he have a no trade/movement clause? I thought that was why he did not get traded at the deadline. Also, he has stated that he wants to stay in the western conference.

Arrrggggh. You are right (I checked). So much for that. No one is going to waive a no-trade clause to come to the Sabres. I hate to say it, but the Sabres are practically the reason the clause was invented.

OTOH, Edmonton is generally regarded as the Siberia of the NHL, and he did love it there...

Gee. You're right. We should pay the 41 year old rental to be the leader of the team for the next few years. Brilliant. What year would he retire and leave us in the exact same place? Next year? 2011? You can rather have whatever you want, but no team with long term plans for success will want Recchi.

We were willing to pay Drury $7M+ per year, and we've seen how our group of young players respond without that type of leadership. $4.5M-$6.5M for a major power play fixture and a on-ice and locker room leader is worthwhile.

I guess your right we couldn't have used Recchi's 23 goals and 61 total points, he probably also isn't a locker room leader that we would have needed this year...TC, JP, DR, CR, TV all did such a great job. Stick to physics.

I would like to see us sign Chris Neil. I know he is not liked by any Sabres fans but he would stick up for his goalie and star players, won't cost much and he throws the other team off their game. He is like a board favorite, Pat Kaleta, but will stand up for himself. He is also like Matthew Barnaby, the guy you love on your team for how he upests the opposition but you hate when you play against.

I agree with this part. I was reading on the Red Wings boards that they wanted him too.

I think Miller is the only person who shows passion for the game on a nightly basis. I believe he could be a top 5 goalie in the league with an upgraded defense that would stick up for him. He has to be the most roughed up goalie in the league.

If there's a team out there that could turn Chris Neil into a though, it's the current Sabres :thumbsup:

And just thinking out loud here, I think it's a sad sad thing that someone would suggest we land a douche like Neil, and I actually find myself agreeing with it.

I still refuse to even talking about that nobody who was fired from the Stars for being a basic ****.

That's quite an accomplishment too - Getting kicked off a hockey team for being an idiot. Wow.

Archived