[OT] WGR550

deluca67

It seems that the only time WGR550 ends up on this board it's to rag on Mike Schopp or sometimes the morning guys.

I enjoy listening to Nick Mendola and Andrew Fillipponi. I think these two definitely guys deserve more air time. It would be nice to see the station get away from the current structure of their lineup. I'm not a huge morning show fan. I'm not a big Howard Simon fan who admittedly doesn't watch a lot of sports and I find Jeremy White to come across as a bit insincere in his opinions.

It is Buffalo's only sports station so I was wondering what the overall opinion of the station is. Who are your favorites and who would like to see gone?

It seems that the only time WGR550 ends up on this board it's to rag on Mike Schopp or sometimes the morning guys.

I enjoy listening to Nick Mendola and Andrew Fillipponi. I think these two definitely guys deserve more air time. It would be nice to see the station get away from the current structure of their lineup. I'm not a huge morning show fan. I'm not a big Howard Simon fan who admittedly doesn't watch a lot of sports and I find Jeremy White to come across as a bit insincere in his opinions.

It is Buffalo's only sports station so I was wondering what the overall opinion of the station is. Who are your favorites and who would like to see gone?

Considering I go to school in Philadelphia, listening to that station online keeps me sane when I have to deal with Philly fans on a daily basis. I give it a thumbs up. I know a lot of people question its lack of all around sports coverage (i.e. NBA) but I think thats only because it is centered on what Western New Yorkers have to say. I agree with your overall opinion. I'd add that I think Brian Koziol does a great job with the pregame and especially postgame shows for the Sabres. Some of the time he is dealing with drunk callers so I think he does a good job of making sure they speak long enough to think they were taken seriously but not long enough for them to make a complete fool of themselves. I listen to Schopp and the Bulldog and my only complaint would be their treatment of the people that call into the show. If someone brings up a comment that may not be completely statistically accurate, or realistic in terms of a trade/FA signing, their technique is to cut them off in half sentence and interrogate them until they feel that they're wasting the shows time. I know its important to produce a good show but the point of interracting with listeners isn't to make them feel stupid if they are casual fans. Not everyone can have a job where they talk about Buffalo sports day in and day out.

BTW, does anyone actually listen to Jim Rome. That has to be the worst program on the airwaves.

Yeah i agree with you on Mendola and Fillipponi and it was nice listening to them all day today. However i am a huge fan of Howard Simon and Jeremy White and i do like Schoop and the Bulldog. I do think those guys need some kind of more air time. Personally i'd give them the night times on non-Sabres game nights.

BTW, i know it's not a sports station but 1230 Weck is becoming more sports. It got NY Yankees now and Brad Riter now has a live show 4-7pm Monday-Friday. I used to be a big fan of Riter but have yet to catch that show. http://www.weck1230.com/index.html

BTW, does anyone actually listen to Jim Rome. That has to be the worst program on the airwaves.

I hate it. But it's not the worst. Try listening to this idiot Colin Cowherd.

He disses on hockey all the time and once even dissed the Sabres. I fcking hate that guy.

Yeah i agree with you on Mendola and Fillipponi and it was nice listening to them all day today. However i am a huge fan of Howard Simon and Jeremy White and i do like Schoop and the Bulldog. I do think those guys need some kind of more air time. Personally i'd give them the night times on non-Sabres game nights.

BTW, i know it's not a sports station but 1230 Weck is becoming more sports. It got NY Yankees now and Brad Riter now has a live show 4-7pm Monday-Friday. I used to be a big fan of Riter but have yet to catch that show. http://www.weck1230.com/index.html

Not a big Brad Riter fan.

I work at home on my computer, so I stream WGR alot online. I enjoy it, but the commercials are absolutely ridiculous. Apparently, the online stream has different commercials than the airwaves (maybe someone could confirm this), because it is literally like the same few commercials (Riverfront, Spinal Decompression, Perrys Ice Cream) aaaaaaaaall day long, which is extremely annoying.

My favorite show is Schopp & the Bulldog, I think they do a good job together.

Just settling in now for all T.O all day today... :thumbsup:

The radio station is all i listen to in the car. I get in trouble with the wife all the time. I agree though, I think that Schopp is to ruff on the callers. I don't generally call but I make sure to definetly not call his show because if you disagree with his points he basically calls you an idiot and rips you for it.

I work at home on my computer, so I stream WGR alot online. I enjoy it, but the commercials are absolutely ridiculous. Apparently, the online stream has different commercials than the airwaves (maybe someone could confirm this), because it is literally like the same few commercials (Riverfront, Spinal Decompression, Perrys Ice Cream) aaaaaaaaall day long, which is extremely annoying.

My favorite show is Schopp & the Bulldog, I think they do a good job together.

Just settling in now for all T.O all day today... :thumbsup:

haha yeah that is true. Actual radio doesn't have those annoying commercials.

haha yeah that is true. Actual radio doesn't have those annoying commercials.

The actual radio has just as many commercials as the stream, but there is a greater variety. I wonder why that is. It makes the stream really brutal, but of course I still listen. :doh: It's like crack for my sports soul!

The actual radio has just as many commercials as the stream, but there is a greater variety. I wonder why that is. It makes the stream really brutal, but of course I still listen. :doh: It's like crack for my sports soul!

They actually might cost different. You would think it is cheaper to stream and add over the internet than it is to play it over the radio.

That's just my guess. For all I know more people could be listening to the stream so they advertise more on it.

They actually might cost different. You would think it is cheaper to stream and add over the internet than it is to play it over the radio.

That's just my guess. For all I know more people could be listening to the stream so they advertise more on it.

Yeah I'm sure that has something to do with it. It's just kinda odd how they split up those two distribution methods, and sell different ad space for each. Why even bother doing that?

Maybe it's because such a high percentage of "streamers" are outside this area...so some exclusively local advertisers don't want to pay to market to those out-of-town customers. Then again, the main ones on the stream (Riverfront, Spinal, etc) would be of no use to out-of-towners so I guess that theory bites the dust.

Can anyone familiar with the economics of radio shed some light on this? Just curious.

Anyways, looking forward to S&BD at 3 today, should be a very interesting show. :thumbsup:

Don't listen to station as I once did. Have exchanged e-mail and comments with all the various hosts and everyone of them have been nothing less than personable. Andy Roth program director always open for listener comments and suggestions.

I have wished Mike Schopp would handle callers in a more polite fashion and that feel he ill suited to be doing Bills post game shows as he admits to not caring a great deal about football.

For me there are just to many better options for getting sport information, honest truth only time i tune in now is when events happen peculiar to Buffalo to hear callers responses and have a bit of humor listening.

I love the Rome show. I think it's funny, and has good interviews. :ph34r:

I like Rome, too, but more a few years ago before he was hired by ESPN. He's gotten a bit more arrogant it seems. I used to like how he made fun of NASCAR, but now interviews some of those guys, probably because of ESPN. In NYC, they air his show at odd hours so I don't listen to it very regularly anymore.

I listen to WGR during the Bills and Sabres seasons, and Schopp and Bulldog aren't that bad, but when they have a bad day with callers or a slow news day it can be hard to listen. Some talk show hosts say clever and humorous things to ridiculous callers or their emotional rant on a particular topic is funny. Not so with Schopp and Bulldog.

Cowherd stinks. He once said hockey was like the tv show Arrested Development. It has a cult following of people who "get it" and they try to convince other people it's funny. Same idea with hockey. I happen to like both.

Congratulations to Mike Schoop and his wife on their free agent acquisition. Adopting a child is a great thing to do. There are many child out there in need of good homes. This world would be a better place if more couples with the means made the decision to give 1 of hundreds of thousands children in need a home.

Not a big fan of Mike, but he nailed it today: "If we didn't love Lindy, would we hate him as a coach?"

He has made a ton of great points. The problem I have is that his opinion seems based upon his thoughts that the Sabres have enough talent. I couldn't disagree more. If someone can make the point that even with sub par talent Ruff deserves to go, I will listen.

Archived