Why the Sabres will miss the playoffs

JohnRobertEichel

The sky is falling! Quick, nuke this motha!!!!

I think the fact that the team was finishing off a back to back, away, against a divisional rival, after winning 2 in a row, is enough to chalk this up as a bad loss, nothing more. If you thought they were gonna win out, well then, I'm sorry.

More bad news, we STILL won't be winning out from here. We're going to lose more games. I don't think last night was a "nail in the coffin". More like a standard bad loss. Could we look back and say this game cost us the playoffs? Sure, but haven't we said that about every single game we've lost this year?

Relax and enjoy the fact that we're still in the hunt. It could be worse, we could be Leafs fans (Millbank!!) :ph34r:

I can't accept the fact of being happy we are in the hunt...inexcuseable...any big market city would be calling for Lindy's job at this point!!

I can't accept the fact of being happy we are in the hunt...inexcuseable...any big market city would be calling for Lindy's job at this point!!

:wub:

Think about it. You miss the playoffs five times in seven years after Hasek leaves, and yet the GM and coach are safe, for life apparently? What kind of message does it give to the players? How can it not be a message that missing the playoffs is acceptable?

True. They won four straight to start the month, dropped a pair to Detroit and Chicago, then won three straight Since then they've had one two-game winning streak, and everything else has been W1, L1 - .500 hockey. That's why I doubt that they can turn it on and play almost .700 hockey to hit that mythical 93-point playoff target.

FWIW - the game you are referring to (the seventh win) was at Florida, not Tampa. The Sabres beat Florida 3-2 in the SO to start the six-game road trip and then lost 5-3 to Tampa two nights later. Kotalik did have a goal against Tampa but was scoreless against Florida.

I'm not sure I follow your "actually it's more like we have done a win 2 lose 1" comment. Please explain.

Sorry in my mind :rolleyes: I understood what I was splaining... Anywho as you astutely posted and I bolded we have strung some wins together. Now the last 3 games was a win 2 lose 1. So if you look at it and say 'could we win 2 games in row" I think we have seen they can so what I was saying simply 'we only have too win 2 out of every 3 games from here out'. If you think that's not possible than you have your answer to the thread title.

As we sit today that's still Possible. Now is it probable is where I believe you and allot of others are weighing in on. Well we will find out soon enough because the next 2 (Philly on the road, FLA at home) are going to test if what I said can and does start to happen.

The thing for me, the team is what it is. No more cavalry is coming(trades, changes, etc.) and we either have what it takes to make it or we don't. I did not expect this team as comprised to win the SC. However to me as a fan it ain't over yet, they are still in it and I can still look forward to the opportunity to see them compete(when they do) and what players surprise me or not and thats it...

Sorry in my mind :rolleyes: I understood what I was splaining... Anywho as you astutely posted and I bolded we have strung some wins together. Now the last 3 games was a win 2 lose 1. So if you look at it and say 'could we win 2 games in row" I think we have seen they can so what I was saying simply 'we only have too win 2 out of every 3 games from here out'. If you think that's not possible than you have your answer to the thread title.

As we sit today that's still Possible. Now is it probable is where I believe you and allot of others are weighing in on. Well we will find out soon enough because the next 2 (Philly on the road, FLA at home) are going to test if what I said can and does start to happen.

The thing for me, the team is what it is. No more cavalry is coming(trades, changes, etc.) and we either have what it takes to make it or we don't. I did not expect this team as comprised to win the SC. However to me as a fan it ain't over yet, they are still in it and I can still look forward to the opportunity to see them compete(when they do) and what players surprise me or not and thats it...

I'm not writing them off - yet. It is possible, and stranger things have happened. Yeah, they have won two and lost one in the last three. That was preceded by a three-game losing streak, so you can see why I am unconvinced. I'm finding it hard to believe that they are going to play winning hockey at near .700 clip down the stretch to get into the playoffs. I hope to heck they prove me wrong, but after watching the last two years of this core continue to come out and play flat, uninspired or defensively irresponsible hockey, I find it hard to believe that they will finally "flip the switch" and get it.

:wub:

Think about it. You miss the playoffs five times in seven years after Hasek leaves, and yet the GM and coach are safe, for life apparently? What kind of message does it give to the players? How can it not be a message that missing the playoffs is acceptable?

The only two obvious conclusions are;

1) Ownership knows it screwed up the roster and can't blame DR and LR

2) This is all ownership is willing to commit to

3) Ownership are idiots

I believe that the downfall of this group is their immaturity. Spacek was quoted last night as saying that they need to think they are playing a different team when they have a game against Ottawa because they have been outplayed by Ottawa for the past 4 years. How mentally tough a group, a necessity in the playoffs, do you have if they are resorting to thinking they are playing another team in the NHL when they go up against the Senators? These guys should be pumped up to play the Sens more than any other team because it's always a challenge. Sadly, they'd rather give an effort that is just enough to get an easy win. However, as the past couple weeks have suggested, they can't even win those games anymore.

Uh, have you looked at our roster lately? Trust me, you SHOULD be happy we're still in the hunt......

Deluca will be the first to tell you, and he's right; With this roster, Lindy has been masterful (for the most part). Lindy didn't bring these guys in, so if you're mad about the lack of talent, take it up with Darcy.

Now heart, that's a different story, and in that case, I'll agree with you that Lindy is responsible for teaching them that, to an extent. Personally, I feel that you either have heart or you don't, but others will argue that the coach is responsible for ensuring his team plays with heart on a regular basis....

Archived