The official what do we do with...Stafford, MacArthur

spndnchz

Half hour to go until the deadline and they're all still here.

All UFA's or RFA's end of the season. I'm only big re-signing on Sekera, Stafford and Kaleta.

edit: Kotes to Edmonton. Pretty much for Moore

edit: add Moore

Half hour to go until the deadline and they're all still here.

All UFA's or RFA's end of the season. I'm only big re-signing on Sekera, Stafford and Kaleta.

I agree with all the players you stated but I really want Spacek back as well. He is a steady d-man, and who will replace him. Some of his quotes are priceless.

We're in agreement.

But in reality, all of them will get resigned except for Teppo who will retire.

No way that we are re-signing Spacek and Kotalik (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you just forgot to exclude Max) with the contract that we just signed Timmy to. The money's just not there. Kotalik will walk, being replaced by a significantly cheaper players (e.g., Mancari.) Spacek's only hope would be if we trade Tallinder away. Even then, it's not likely.

I agree with the spndnchz's list: Sekera, Stafford and Kaleta. Good or bad, Peters, Ellis and MacArthur will be looked at cheap depth options.

I agree with all the players you stated but I really want Spacek back as well. He is a steady d-man, and who will replace him. Some of his quotes are priceless.

I loved his talk this morning about players coming up to him and asking what it's like to be traded. His answer was something like "Well sumtimz you go and yee get trded so team get more stuff".

No way that we are re-signing Spacek and Kotalik (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you just forgot to exclude Max) with the contract that we just signed Timmy to. The money's just not there. Kotalik will walk, being replaced by a significantly cheaper players (e.g., Mancari.) Spacek's only hope would be if we trade Tallinder away. Even then, it's not likely.

I agree with the spndnchz's list: Sekera, Stafford and Kaleta. Good or bad, Peters, Ellis and MacArthur will be looked at cheap depth options.

Yes. Or should we start a Max for 1 million thread.

Yeah, didn't think so.

• 1 month later...

It bothers me to see people say we should get rid of Drew Stafford. I think he is just like JP Dumont. He can put the puck in the net, fights for the puck in the corners and can play the power play. Let's not forget Stafford is only in his 3rd professional season. When was JP traded to Buffalo and when did Buffalo start to really like JP?

I like Macarthur because he can play pp, pk or even strength so I'd like to keep him. I think he needs two things to develop. 1) some one to stick up for him and 2) playing time. He is small and can be knocked off the puck. With that being said if we could get something good for him in return I would listen to all offers.

Sekera needs to be kept but the rest of them I'm on the fence about. I think we would need to fill their spots with some veteran leadership and toughness.

I also wouldn't mind keeping Moore. He wins faceoffs, can score 15-20 goals and I've seen him drop the gloves a few times. That is something the team needs.

Without an expanded budget it's tight.

Freed up money from Vanek Kotalik and Max 7.6 million. Taken away with Pommer, Timmay, Goose and Miller 7.68 million.

Then you've got nine guys to sign or not. Spach, Teppo, Ellis, Peters, Stafford, Moore, General, Kaleta, and Sekera. All with about 10 million to spend.

If you did sign these guys for market, I'd estimate 14 million total (not saying I would bring them all back)

I still say, get rid of

1) Hecht, 3.433 average pay over the next 3 years, 3.8 next year, but a cap hit of 3.5 may help some of these teams that are close to the cap but have the money to spend

2) Mac or Moore. I'd keep Moore over Mac, more spunk, more aggressive, plays the system and plays well with Goose. Mac is RFA so we'll see what offers we get. If you sign Moore and get some picks for Mac, all the better.

3) Sekera, I like his game, but again, wait and see what RFA offers come in and brings to the team.

Spach is still worth some money IMHO, if you look at the numbers for guys like Rozsival and maybe Witt who are getting 4.3 and 3, at age 29 and 33, respectively, Spach has more points than Rozsival, but Spach is older, so I'd go 2 years 3.2 per.

Sign Teppo, Ellis and Peters for 2 million collectively (what the hell?)

Sign Stafford for Staal or Erat money at 3 million

Now you have 9 million left to buy a good D-man and a vet forward.

Vanek, Connolly, Stafford

VET ,Roy Pominville

Paille, Goose, Moore

Ellis, Mair, Kaleta

(Gerbe, et all)

VET, Rivet

Butler, Spacek

Teppo, Weber

Lydman+Tallinder, meh, package worthy.

("in the system" guys and Patches)

Miller

LaLime (who could be done for his career if he doesn't heal)

Without an expanded budget it's tight.

Freed up money from Vanek Kotalik and Max 7.6 million. Taken away with Pommer, Timmay, Goose and Miller 7.68 million.

Then you've got nine guys to sign or not. Spach, Teppo, Ellis, Peters, Stafford, Moore, General, Kaleta, and Sekera. All with about 10 million to spend.

If you did sign these guys for market, I'd estimate 14 million total (not saying I would bring them all back)

I still say, get rid of

1) Hecht, 3.433 average pay over the next 3 years, 3.8 next year, but a cap hit of 3.5 may help some of these teams that are close to the cap but have the money to spend

2) Mac or Moore. I'd keep Moore over Mac, more spunk, more aggressive, plays the system and plays well with Goose. Mac is RFA so we'll see what offers we get. If you sign Moore and get some picks for Mac, all the better.

3) Sekera, I like his game, but again, wait and see what RFA offers come in and brings to the team.

Spach is still worth some money IMHO, if you look at the numbers for guys like Rozsival and maybe Witt who are getting 4.3 and 3, at age 29 and 33, respectively, Spach has more points than Rozsival, but Spach is older, so I'd go 2 years 3.2 per.

Sign Teppo, Ellis and Peters for 2 million collectively (what the hell?)

Sign Stafford for Staal or Erat money at 3 million

Now you have 9 million left to buy a good D-man and a vet forward.

Vanek, Connolly, Stafford

VET ,Roy Pominville

Paille, Goose, Moore

Ellis, Mair, Kaleta

(Gerbe, et all)

VET, Rivet

Butler, Spacek

Teppo, Weber

Lydman+Tallinder, meh, package worthy.

("in the system" guys and Patches)

Miller

LaLime (who could be done for his career if he doesn't heal)

3 million for stafford would be a joke.

A joke because it's too much or too little?

Guys with numbers like him are signing for it.

Too much! I don't see how you can sign a guy with stone hands, plays soft on most nights (there are the rare occasions he shows a little grit), and is mostly inconsistent to a $3 million contract. He is no Eric Staal. It would be the Hecht situation all over again.

His numbers a decent because he plays on our top line. He should be putting up more playing with Vanek.

Too much! I don't see how you can sign a guy with stone hands, plays soft on most nights (there are the rare occasions he shows a little grit), and is mostly inconsistent to a $3 million contract. He is no Eric Staal. It would be the Hecht situation all over again.

His numbers a decent because he plays on our top line. He should be putting up more playing with Vanek.

This is a joke. The guy has some of the best hands on the team.

Dude. Jordan not Eric. Eric's numbers are double Stafford. Jordan's are almost exactly the same as Stafford's he's at 3.5/3.5/4.5/4.5

Stafford:

I was big on Stafford, but this season has proven how much of a lazy player he really is. No effort. No hunger. Part of, "The Brat Pack", the epitome of whats wrong with this team.

Maybe that'd change if the team attitude changed. Maybe he'd be better with someone all over him, demanding harder effort and more results.

Maybe...but prolly not. Watching Stafford this year, listening to interviews he's given, he seems like an immature smug bastard. He's doesn't seem to be a player we can depend on, and doesn't seem to take criticism very well. If we could sign him for cheap (2mill range), he may be worth hanging on to, if only to give him a chance to mature. However, if he's above the 3 million range, the Sabres should ship him out for picks or a player who will play with conviction.

MacArthur

MacArthur seems like a pretty capable forward, and he's done well with Connolly and Pommers. He works hard, and he's made strides this year in developing a better two way game. Sure, he's had his share of mishaps and setbacks (continual benchings), but he's worked through it and continues to climb back up. If he could be extended for cheap(and I mean cheap), he's worth hanging onto. If not, Moore may be the better option to sign; Id ship Mac out for picks.

Peters

GONE. Haha. Moving on.

MOORE

I like how he plays, and how he can make some room along the boards. I really liked him when he first came to Bufffalo, but in the past few games I haven't been impressed. Im not too sure on whether to keep him or let him walk. I dont think he'd be worth anything more than 2.5.

Kaleta

He's honestly the only player out of the bunch I would instantly sign. Invaluable asset to the team.

Mancari

Slow on his feet. Prolly not NHL material.

Spacek

Spacek played solid for us all year, but in the last 10 games his game has really fallen off. Its crunch time, not exactly a good time to start handing out giveaways in your own zone over and over. If he's looking for a raise to around 4 million, it may be time to part ways with him.

Teppo

He's lost his feet, his age and ailments really showing now. Still, he's an experienced vet and a good influence on the younger dmen. Another 1 mill one year extension maybe?

Sekera

Worth resigning and further developing.

Stafford:

I was big on Stafford, but this season has proven how much of a lazy player he really is. No effort. No hunger. Part of, "The Brat Pack", the epitome of whats wrong with this team.

Maybe that'd change if the team attitude changed. Maybe he'd be better with someone all over him, demanding harder effort and more results.

Maybe...but prolly not. Watching Stafford this year, listening to interviews he's given, he seems like an immature smug bastard. He's doesn't seem to be a player we can depend on, and doesn't seem to take criticism very well. If we could sign him for cheap (2mill range), he may be worth hanging on to, if only to give him a chance to mature. However, if he's above the 3 million range, the Sabres should ship him out for picks or a player who will play with conviction.

MacArthur

MacArthur seems like a pretty capable forward, and he's done well with Connolly and Pommers. He works hard, and he's made strides this year in developing a better two way game. Sure, he's had his share of mishaps and setbacks (continual benchings), but he's worked through it and continues to climb back up. If he could be extended for cheap(and I mean cheap), he's worth hanging onto. If not, Moore may be the better option to sign; Id ship Mac out for picks.

Peters

GONE. Haha. Moving on.

MOORE

I like how he plays, and how he can make some room along the boards. I really liked him when he first came to Bufffalo, but in the past few games I haven't been impressed. Im not too sure on whether to keep him or let him walk. I dont think he'd be worth anything more than 2.5.

Kaleta

He's honestly the only player out of the bunch I would instantly sign. Invaluable asset to the team.

Mancari

Slow on his feet. Prolly not NHL material.

Spacek

Spacek played solid for us all year, but in the last 10 games his game has really fallen off. Its crunch time, not exactly a good time to start handing out giveaways in your own zone over and over. If he's looking for a raise to around 4 million, it may be time to part ways with him.

Teppo

He's lost his feet, his age and ailments really showing now. Still, he's an experienced vet and a good influence on the younger dmen. Another 1 mill one year extension maybe?

Sekera

Worth resigning and further developing.

I'd for sure resign Kaleta, Sekera and if he's cheap, MacArthur (versatile & put in some clutch goals this year - hopefully keeps developing)

Stafford is probably going to want near Pominville like money & I don't see that happening so hopefully they can trade him for some value.

Moore is a UFA & going to get way more than he deserves (probably $3 million/season).

Would love to see Spacek get an affordable multi year deal - pretty consistent, experienced & puts in some key goals.

Mancari should be let go or at best get a cheap 2-way deal (if he's even eligible for that) - despite leading in scoring for AHL team, it doesn't translate to the NHL.

Peters is gone (I hope to God) but will we get another enforcer type or leave the fighting up to Rivet, Gaustad, Mair & Kaleta (enforcement by committee)?

Teppo should get a nice sendoff retirement ceremony on ice - it's time.

Ellis: not sure - he seemed to be a classic 4th liner but don't think you tie up dollars in a contract until you see what's coming up from the farm system for next year (hopefully Kennedy & Gerbe are ready to make the big club).

Maxim is gone & hopefully a change of scenery will allow him to final finish a rush & score more goals.

That's all I have - sad to be getting an early start on the Summer amateur GM'ing.

Stafford is probably going to want near Pominville like money & I don't see that happening so hopefully they can trade him for some value.

Why would Stafford think he deserves anywhere near Pominville money?

When Jason re-signed, these were his previous two seasons:

2006-07 82GP 34G, 34A, 68P

2007-08 82GP 27G, 53A, 80P

These are the previous two seasons that Drew would re-sign after:

2007-08 64GP 16G 22A 38P

2008-09 78GP 20G 25A 45P (plus, whatever he does in Boston)

Jason has been ragged on for his low production all season and still has the sames goals and 20 more assists than Drew. Plus, Jason signed when the cap was rising, so the market was pretty generous. Now, with rumors of a falling cap in two years, purse strings will be tighter. Drew will be lucky to get half of what Jason got. If he gets offered anywhere near Pominville's money, the Sabres should take the draft picks (1 or 2 first rounds, depending on the $ amount, 1 second round and 1 third round as compensation from the other team for signing the Sabres' RFA to an offer sheet) and run.

Spacek just played his 700th game, has 8 goals, 36 assists this season, no d-man on Sabres has that many. I don't have any problems with his game, but unless Lydman or Tallinder go we can't afford him (this all in the hopes of bringing in a #1 d-man)

Archived