What is considered a successful season for this team?

Spudz

First time using the poll feature, hope it works.

After seeing what Darcy said about how they must make the playoffs, what is a successful season for these guys. My opinion is status quo would be losing in the first round. Hey at least they got there. Successful to me is advancing.

EDIT: Aww crap it didn't work. It just disappeared

Well the choices were...

1. not make playoffs but buy at the deadline building for next year

2. 1st round loss

3. 2nd round loss

4. Anything farther

My opinion is status quo would be losing in the first round. Hey at least they got there. Successful to me is advancing.

That would be my answer, too. Missing again would be a failure; winning in the first round would be a bonus.

I said at the start of the year that we will be a little better this year, but that certain contracts ending this year and the next, as well as our young core maturing, would make for a stronger push in the next two seasons. So, just making the playoffs this year would meet my expectations.

If Miller is out for the rest of the season, then making playoffs is still a must, but i don't think too many would be overly disappointed in this season if they lost in the first round with Lalime in net.

If Miller returns way before playoffs begin and is back at his form, no doubt competing in the 2nd round IMHO.

A sucessful season for the Sabs this season would be making it to the first round. If they dont accomplish that,then the questions about our core being able to acheive "the goal" will turn down a darker trail. I think that seeing Roy,Vanek,Connolly and Pommer carry the team into a round or 2 is all we should hope for. Thats all i'm expecting anyway.

A sucessful season for the Sabs this season would be making it to the first round. If they dont accomplish that,then the questions about our core being able to acheive "the goal" will turn down a darker trail. I think that seeing Roy,Vanek,Connolly and Pommer carry the team into a round or 2 is all we should hope for. Thats all i'm expecting anyway.

I just have this hope that getting into the playoffs will ignite some deep remembrance and experience for our young guys that have a TON of playoff experience. Just get in and ANYTHING can happen.

Considering we've missed the playoffs in four of our last six seasons, I have to go with "just making the postseason" is a success.

Someone will have to explain to me how making the playoffs and losing in the first round is "status quo" when we are coming off a season with no playoffs.

A successful season to me is making the playoffs this year. This team is not a Cup Contender, but as mentioned before if Miller gets hot anything can happen in the playoffs as this team has shown in the past. I'd consider this season a success if they make the playoffs. I think the Sabres will not legitimately become a Cup Contender until 2010-2011 season. It's not even next year, but the year after that the Sabres really become a Cup Contender in my opinion as the core guys hit their peak, and the prospects in the AHL will be in the NHL and maturing. That will likely be Tyler Myers rookie year in the NHL as well.

Success is being closer to being a Cup contender at the end of the season than you were at the beginning. Making it to the first round and getting bounced in 4 or 5 games isn't success.

Here are three points that can make this season a success.

1) Did your younger players develop? Sekera and Butler both showed they will be solid NHL players. Stafford also showed that he will be a major player down the road.

2) Did you make the best use of your assets? We will see at the trade deadline. Can they maximize the return on players they will lose?

3) Did the team turn a profit? This is by far the most important. With profitability comes stability followed by success.

Flame away boys. :thumbsup:

Success is being closer to being a Cup contender at the end of the season than you were at the beginning. Making it to the first round and getting bounced in 4 or 5 games isn't success.

Here are three points that can make this season a success.

1) Did your younger players develop? Sekera and Butler both showed they will be solid NHL players. Stafford also showed that he will be a major player down the road.

2) Did you make the best use of your assets? We will see at the trade deadline. Can they maximize the return on players they will lose?

3) Did the team turn a profit? This is by far the most important. With profitability comes stability followed by success.

Flame away boys. :thumbsup:

As to 3.), does anyone remember what Tom Golisano said his financial goals were in owning the team? This was fairly early in his tenure.

Before the season started, I would have said that making it to the 2nd round would be a successful season. Now I wouldn't be surprised, if they miss the playoffs. From where I stand, it is time(either at the deadline or in the offseason) to turn over some of the roster and I don't just mean replacing the 4 UFA's(Kotalik, Max, Connolly & Teppo) with Portland prospects.

Archived