Sabres giving up too many shots on goal!

LabattBlue

Last 6 games they have been outshot(exception being Toronto). Opponents shots listed first.

43-27

28-21

37-23

16-32

37-22

42-30

Not exactly what you want to see down the home stretch.

I want to know how many more were taken from the point but didn't count because they were too busy injuring Sabres.

They are doing a good job of making the opposition take shots from the outside. I don't know exactly what constitutes a "scoring chance", but I found it interesting that in the first period against Ottawa, we were out shot something like 15-5, but the scoring chances were just 3-2. As long as Miller isn't having a bad night (see dribblers against Calgary), he isn't being completely screened or they aren't deflected (sometimes twice like Ottawa's first goal), then these shots are pretty easy for him to save and control rebounds on. It is, however, taken its toll on our players.

They are doing a good job of making the opposition take shots from the outside. I don't know exactly what constitutes a "scoring chance", but I found it interesting that in the first period against Ottawa, we were out shot something like 15-5, but the scoring chances were just 3-2. As long as Miller isn't having a bad night (see dribblers against Calgary), he isn't being completely screened or they aren't deflected (sometimes twice like Ottawa's first goal), then these shots are pretty easy for him to save and control rebounds on. It is, however, taken its toll on our players.

This is a great point. I said earlier that I thought I saw an adjustment to our D where we were allowing more SOG from the outside, but clearing the crease area to allow Miller to pick up these shots and not allow rebounds. It's been a slow transition but I think it has worked, especially for Miller. But, the new problem seems to be the amount of injuries from these shots, although aside from Teppo and Vanek, I can't think of any other SOG's that caused someone to miss significant time. I can't even remember if Teppo's injury was caused by a SOG. I'm cool with the amount of SOG's we give up, as long as the scoring chances are minimal.

I think the high number of shots is more reflective of the Sabres struggling to get the puck out of their own zone.

I agree with that. They have been getting outshot regularly lately and that's because we are having problems in our own zone. We're being outhustled big time in the defensive zone.

I agree with that. They have been getting outshot regularly lately and that's because we are having problems in our own zone. We're being outhustled big time in the defensive zone.

Having Weber and Paetsch in there for Spacek and Sekera hurt us a bit. I think we miss Sekera a lot.

Archived