Taro T

Who Would You Have Drafted at 5?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Vanek, Phaneuf, Other

• Tommy
    • Dion
    • Other

To me it was a no-brainer at the time.

Under Rigas the team had apparently intentionally avoided selecting high-scoring (and potentially high $ down the road) players to go for D-men and Gritty forwards (read cheaper). What better way to kick off the new era of the new regime than with the hero of the just completed NCAA Final 4. Especially coming off a season where Miro led the team in goals and points with a paltry 26 and 75 respectively and nobody else could get to 25 or 60. And they were only a handful of years removed from the BEST sniper on the team being Audette leading the team w/ 28 and 24 goals in '97 and then '98 and Plante leading the way w/ 53 followed the next year by Miro's absolutely paltry 46 leading the team. That 46 was the 85th highest total in the league. That total wouldn't have cracked the top 10 for D-men, but it would have been 3rd for rookies that year. Yes, Miro had A 40 goal season, but he was NOT anyone's idea of a "go to" goal scorer.

Phaneuf didn't even end up the 1st D-man selected. Suter and Coburn were chosen between Tommy and Dion.

I would still choose Vanek over Phaneuf, although it is a tough choice, as the Sabres are still woefully thin at sniper.

At this point it's hard to argue against either. Neither franchise wingers nor franchise defensemen grow on trees. In the beginning Vanek had issues with his work ethic and his work south of the red line, but he's grown into a pretty good two-way player in addition to a dangerous scorer.

I went with Thomas. I don't like Dion's girlfriend. :doh:

I do. :wub:

Archived