Nice article on Sabres Turnaround

jwcolour

Nice article but they still give out mixed signals regarding the departure of you know who. They "chose" to keep the young guys together?

Well, that can be taken more than one way ... here is the whole quote:

"You're going to have to make your decisions earlier with this CBA [collective bargaining agreement], and we made a decision to keep our young guys together," Regier said.

To me, he could be saying they have learned (the hard way) that they can't wait around like they did with you know who and made the decision to keep THIS group of young guys together by signing some to long-term deals. When he says "make your decisions earlier," I almost hear "earlier than we would like" ... Besides, I don't ever remember Darcy ducking the fact he wanted to keep Drury. He has never said losing both was the "plan" ...

"You're going to have to make your decisions earlier with this CBA [collective bargaining agreement], and we made a decision to keep our young guys together," Regier said.

To me, he could be saying they have learned (the hard way) that they can't wait around like they did with you know who and made the decision to keep THIS group of young guys together by signing some to long-term deals. When he says "make your decisions earlier," I almost hear "earlier than we would like" ... Besides, I don't ever remember Darcy ducking the fact he wanted to keep Drury. He has never said losing both was the "plan" ...

I agree with your interpretation.

Seeing as Vanek is having a better season than Briere and Drury combined, I don't have any complaints for the front office.

I disagree with your interpretation.

Awesome article. Thanks for posting it for those who don't visit espn.com all that often.

I love the how Rivet gives props to our drafting. Which i agree with. I think they get talked down around the league but each time we bring players up, like Harry Neale said about Chris Butler, they just belong in the league. Sabres have a real good understanding of how to develop talent. They may not draft the most skilled players in the draft, but they pick guys with potential and raw skill, and know how to Polish them off. Marc-Andre Gragnani has been a giant success story of when he first arrived in Rochester last year, to now.

If they had learned after Drury and Briere they would have accepted Campbell's offer in the fall of 2007. Anyway, I consider the possibility that you are right. My main problem is with TG's public service announcement last year where he contradicted everything DR and LQ have said about the two aforementioned players.

Archived