Spaeck and Hech Return

tom webster

Technically, you can trade injured players so long as they are not on IR or LTIR. Not that the Sabres would do this, but I believe Sekera is not on IR right now, so they theoretically could trade him even though he is injured. I distinctly remember in the 2006-2007 season when the Sabres acquired Zubrus, they traded Jiri Novotny, who at the time of the trade had a high ankle sprain injury and was not playing in any games. But because he was not on IR, they were able to trade him. So, you can technically trade injured players as long as they are not on IR. In the case of Max, who would want him? But, in the case of Tallinder, he has some trade value even if he's injured and since he has another year left on his contract some team might be willing to acquire him as well. We'll see how this plays out, though.

But since they are on IR now, they'd have to be activated prior to any possible trade. So some sort of roster shuffling would have to be done if they were to be moved. But then again, you could just do the paper transaction of sending any of Kaleta, Sekera, Butler, or Weber down to Portland for a day.

No way Kotalik sits... plays a smart game

He's not very creative which on the offensive rush drives me nuts. :wallbash: But I have to admit that part of what frustrates me at times is that he makes the simplest possible play to advance the puck. If that's playing a smart game, I have to concede he does that. He definitely has a strong role to play on the team, and I think that except for the shootout and the heavy shot on the PP, his best work comes when he doesn't have the puck (i.e., throwing his body around in the corners). When he gets on a tear like that, he's pretty disruptive and even if his puck handling doesn't awe me, his work along the boards is good, honest work.

But since they are on IR now, they'd have to be activated prior to any possible trade. So some sort of roster shuffling would have to be done if they were to be moved. But then again, you could just do the paper transaction of sending any of Kaleta, Sekera, Butler, or Weber down to Portland for a day.

Well, it would be strictly a 1 day blip for these guys, as they'd be called right back up, but they do have to actually GO to the AHL team to have been "sent down." Hopefully they'd still get the NHL per diem, not the AHL one, as airport bars can get pretty expensive. "Hey, kid, here's your ticket to Portland, your return flight leaves in an hour and a half, so don't take too long unpacking your gear."

Well, it would be strictly a 1 day blip for these guys, as they'd be called right back up, but they do have to actually GO to the AHL team to have been "sent down." Hopefully they'd still get the NHL per diem, not the AHL one, as airport bars can get pretty expensive. "Hey, kid, here's your ticket to Portland, your return flight leaves in an hour and a half, so don't take too long unpacking your gear."

They will just have to make the deal February 10th.

That one day change in payroll might but Golisano about 10 extra sugar packets. Every little bit counts.

Archived