GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

We asked the usher about the little boy at the end of the game. She said that the Dr.s thought he would be okay and he just had a nasty goose egg next to his eye. The other little boy who got the puck gave it to the one that got hit in the head with it.

edit: Like a true hockey fan, the little guy never cried, got up and walked up the stairs (with a little help). If he was old enough, he probably would have just needed a beer.

To be fair to Ryan, I thought it was a late hit / boarderline cheapshot by Mair. Very similar to that SOB Neil hit on Drury. I'm all for alot of physical play, but that was late. Puck was gone for at least 2-3 seconds off Ryan's stick.

I don't recall the timing of the hit, although I know nothing stood out to me as being a "cheap" play above and beyond the cheap play the Ducks were dishing out. They got away with more than their fair share of garbage hockey.

My thoughts on the game, of which I watched the 1st period-and-a-half before knee surgery, and watched the last half of the game on percocet (wooooo!).

Nice game by Kaleta.

You could see Anaheim trying to get Lydman and Rivet off the ice. Their intention was clear, and Rivet bought into it. I did like how Butler stepped in and battled when it was clear that they were trying to get to Lydman. Good strategy by the Ducks.

Weak goals by Lalime. He's got to play more. Wasn't happy about the no call of in the crease on the first Ducks' goal. it was clear that Marchant was interfering with Lalime's movements. FU Koharski!

Weak-ass slashing call on Rivet. The player was reaching for the puck, and Rivet simply did a hard stick lift halfway up the shaft and got a slashing call? WEAK. Thanks and FU Koharski!

Good effort by the Sabres to try to make a goal of it. Congrats to Rivet for finally getting #1.

Good road trip, nobody expected 3-3 out of it, did they?

KILL THE LEAFS TOMORROW NIGHT!

I like percocet! Knee is fine. I'm already putting weight on it, and it's not throbbing like my two previous surgeries. I'm hopeful for less than a 4-week recovery!

My thoughts on the game, of which I watched the 1st period-and-a-half before knee surgery, and watched the last half of the game on percocet (wooooo!).

Nice game by Kaleta.

You could see Anaheim trying to get Lydman and Rivet off the ice. Their intention was clear, and Rivet bought into it. I did like how Butler stepped in and battled when it was clear that they were trying to get to Lydman. Good strategy by the Ducks.

Weak goals by Lalime. He's got to play more. Wasn't happy about the no call of in the crease on the first Ducks' goal. it was clear that Marchant was interfering with Lalime's movements. FU Koharski!

Weak-ass slashing call on Rivet. The player was reaching for the puck, and Rivet simply did a hard stick lift halfway up the shaft and got a slashing call? WEAK. Thanks and FU Koharski!

Good effort by the Sabres to try to make a goal of it. Congrats to Rivet for finally getting #1.

Good road trip, nobody expected 3-3 out of it, did they?

KILL THE LEAFS TOMORROW NIGHT!

I like percocet! Knee is fine. I'm already putting weight on it, and it's not throbbing like my two previous surgeries. I'm hopeful for less than a 4-week recovery!

Marchant has a right to position outside the crease. I haven't seen a replay that showed Marchant interfering. What I did see is Lalime floundering and falling into Marchant. My initial thought was that Lalime was attempting to draw a call. I don't know what was in Lalime's head. I do know it was piss poor goaltending.

I hate the idea the Sabres should be satisfied with 3-3. The had a horrible game in Tampa and were a goaltender away from taking some points last night.

I think Rivet was more responsible for the first "fight"... then 2nd one they went after him... not sure if it was a conscious effort to get him off, but either way it he was off. I don't really think it was that detrimental as the other guys played well... The slashing call was BS and it sucks that it bit us in the ass.

Lalime played much better than the previous game...but the one that slipped under his pad is very unfortunate and weak... but i guess it was a matter of time after that one was blasted through his legs and somehow bounced up off the crossbar... very weird. The slapshot through the screen top shelf was just a great shot and a good screen..

I hate the idea the Sabres should be satisfied with 3-3.

Yeah, I hate the "they are already assured that they would go .500 on the road trip, so any points are bonus points idea" comments. All points are worth the same, especially if it you are comparing two teams that aren't really in contention for one of the same playoff spots. Sure, most teams have a better record at home, but that doesn't mean you can't have a good record on the road, too. Just making the playoffs takes significantly better than .500 hockey and if they can get some separation, they can increase their chances of not just making it, but getting a decent position.

We did need to play Lalime either last night or Wednesday, though, and I'm not convinced that either choice was significantly better points-wise. I suppose that Toronto is not numerically eliminated and could get back into a with a big run. One other thought is that they didn't want to risk having the Ducks run Miller.

Yeah, I hate the "they are already assured that they would go .500 on the road trip, so any points are bonus points idea" comments. All points are worth the same, especially if it you are comparing two teams that aren't really in contention for one of the same playoff spots. Sure, most teams have a better record at home, but that doesn't mean you can't have a good record on the road, too. Just making the playoffs takes significantly better than .500 hockey and if they can get some separation, they can increase their chances of not just making it, but getting a decent position.

We did need to play Lalime either last night or Wednesday, though, and I'm not convinced that either choice was significantly better points-wise. I suppose that Toronto is not numerically eliminated and could get back into a with a big run. One other thought is that they didn't want to risk having the Ducks run Miller.

I also can't stand the,"We need to get at least one point" posts as well. Getting only one point means you lost. And when you play for that one point you usually don't get any.

Marchant has a right to position outside the crease. I haven't seen a replay that showed Marchant interfering. What I did see is Lalime floundering and falling into Marchant. My initial thought was that Lalime was attempting to draw a call. I don't know what was in Lalime's head. I do know it was piss poor goaltending.

I hate the idea the Sabres should be satisfied with 3-3. The had a horrible game in Tampa and were a goaltender away from taking some points last night.

If you see the side replay, you can see that Marchant is clearly in the crease and stopping Lalime from moving as the puck goes by. Yes, he was trying to draw a call after he missed the puck, but I think it was interference.

I agree with your second point, and goaltending caused it. We're right back where we were last year with this issue. Dammit!

I agree with your second point, and goaltending caused it. We're right back where we were last year with this issue. Dammit!

I read an article that speculated Biron would be let go at the end of the season because Niittymaki is outplaying him and they are both UFAs. For fun, I started to think about how the Sabres could afford to pay their goaltending tandem over $10 million per year (in my crazy mind, Marty's coming back for about $4 million.) If we built the team to be a little more physical and keep working on this "keeping shots to the outside" thing, those two (playing, say, 50/32 or so) could be a rock-solid tandem ... :death:

If you see the side replay, you can see that Marchant is clearly in the crease and stopping Lalime from moving as the puck goes by. Yes, he was trying to draw a call after he missed the puck, but I think it was interference.

Do you have a link? I see the one replay and I don't see Marchant in the crease. I see him at the top of the crease and for some reason Lalime just flops forward. I would love to see another angle showing contact initiated by Marchant.

I read an article that speculated Biron would be let go at the end of the season because Niittymaki is outplaying him and they are both UFAs. For fun, I started to think about how the Sabres could afford to pay their goaltending tandem over $10 million per year (in my crazy mind, Marty's coming back for about $4 million.) If we built the team to be a little more physical and keep working on this "keeping shots to the outside" thing, those two (playing, say, 50/32 or so) could be a rock-solid tandem ... :death:

Marty at $4 million? If they are willing to pay Lalime $1 million why not pay Marty the $4 mil. He is as least 4 times the goalie Lalime is. That is wishful thinking I think. The Sabres don't eat salary. Look for Lalime to be on the bench next season. I hope Miller can handle the work load.

Do you have a link? I see the one replay and I don't see Marchant in the crease. I see him at the top of the crease and for some reason Lalime just flops forward. I would love to see another angle showing contact initiated by Marchant.

No, I saw it on the replay while watching the game. They showed a view from the side. I won't say Marchant initiated contact, but his being in the crease cause Lalime to make contact with him in his attempt to stop the puck. I just hate the way that the standards have devolved. I can't believe Pronger got that interference penalty with under 2 to go. Where was that call all night?

No, I saw it on the replay while watching the game. They showed a view from the side. I won't say Marchant initiated contact, but his being in the crease cause Lalime to make contact with him in his attempt to stop the puck. I just hate the way that the standards have devolved. I can't believe Pronger got that interference penalty with under 2 to go. Where was that call all night?

I work nights, so I DVR'd the game. After that goal, I went back and looked at this same angle they showed during the replay of the goal. He was Definitely in the crease. I'm not sure why Lalime dove forward like he did, other than to "draw" contact as he saw Marchant was in the crease. He would have had a better chance at a save had he stayed home and tried to defend. He looked like Bledsoe used to look diving for a first down, a dolphin out of water......

Regardless, I still think Lalime gave his overall best. Our supporting cast for back up goalies has left much to be desired the last few years to say the least..... Toronto F'd us tonight, so hopefully our guys caught that and come home pissed off ready to play.

Archived