Bad premise

G.M.

Incorrect premise.

As fans are you satisfied that the Sabres are a competitive team rather than a contender? The Sabres premise has been to build a competitive team and remain under the cap in spending. I have spent maybe too much time, thinking about the Sabres moves during the tenure of Darcy Regeir. I refuse to believe that he is out right dumb, which was my first conclusion. After letting it stew for a few years I now believe this to be the reasons for things.

Concerning Daniel Briere and Chris Drury I believe now that the Sabres were well aware that neither player was going to sign at the end of the season. I further believe that the reasoning went as follows.

If we were to trade either or both at the trade deadline what would the fallout from that move be? That the Sabres have squandered one of the best chances to advance in the playoffs in recent years.

Ok I can agree with this, and Darcy and the Sabres, I am going to give this one to you. However the other 17 players that have been lost without compensation and for no other reason that we could not afford to sign all the players picks in return I do not forgive.

The Sabres need to change their premise. It should be the following? We are building a Stanley cup Champion in Buffalo. Not a contender.

Unfortunately, if the sabres continue to draft in the middle we will get D. Roy instead of Lemeuix, Butler instead of Jay Bouwmeester. These are very good players but not great players. Stanley Cups are won with great players and unless the Sabres sandbag or trade for such players they will continue to be mediocre. Drafting good instead of great and staying in the middle forever. This is a safe place to be but one that sucks for real fans.

The number of years left on Vanek?s contract is the number of kicks at the can the Sabres have to build a champion. In that time they need.

A play making center for Vanek or just another center that is not injured all the time that can be a first line center. Lemeuix or Patty La La is a number one center Derek Roy is not.

A game controlling D.

If the sabres trade or do not sign any of their UFA they should definitely sign Boumeester in the off season. They will never have a chance to draft anyone like him since they are almost assured of drafting in the middle. Start at 8 million a season for the length of Vaneks contract with will then be only 5 years.

Incorrect premise.

As fans are you satisfied that the Sabres are a competitive team rather than a contender? The Sabres premise has been to build a competitive team and remain under the cap in spending. I have spent maybe too much time, thinking about the Sabres moves during the tenure of Darcy Regeir. I refuse to believe that he is out right dumb, which was my first conclusion. After letting it stew for a few years I now believe this to be the reasons for things.

Concerning Daniel Briere and Chris Drury I believe now that the Sabres were well aware that neither player was going to sign at the end of the season. I further believe that the reasoning went as follows.

If we were to trade either or both at the trade deadline what would the fallout from that move be? That the Sabres have squandered one of the best chances to advance in the playoffs in recent years.

Ok I can agree with this, and Darcy and the Sabres, I am going to give this one to you. However the other 17 players that have been lost without compensation and for no other reason that we could not afford to sign all the players picks in return I do not forgive.

The Sabres need to change their premise. It should be the following? We are building a Stanley cup Champion in Buffalo. Not a contender.

Unfortunately, if the sabres continue to draft in the middle we will get D. Roy instead of Lemeuix, Butler instead of Jay Bouwmeester. These are very good players but not great players. Stanley Cups are won with great players and unless the Sabres sandbag or trade for such players they will continue to be mediocre. Drafting good instead of great and staying in the middle forever. This is a safe place to be but one that sucks for real fans.

The number of years left on Vanek?s contract is the number of kicks at the can the Sabres have to build a champion. In that time they need.

A play making center for Vanek or just another center that is not injured all the time that can be a first line center. Lemeuix or Patty La La is a number one center Derek Roy is not.

A game controlling D.

If the sabres trade or do not sign any of their UFA they should definitely sign Boumeester in the off season. They will never have a chance to draft anyone like him since they are almost assured of drafting in the middle. Start at 8 million a season for the length of Vaneks contract with will then be only 5 years.

I agree in the notion of building a winning mentality ala the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Detroit Red Wings. What has always been a marvel to me is these teams have always been middle to late round drafters. Yet they find the talent where others can't.

Concerning Daniel Briere and Chris Drury

while i'm loath to respond to any talk about these two guys, i found it interesting that dave staples of the edmonton journal opined recently on the "scariest contracts" throughout the league -- with drury's and briere's among them. oh, and brian campbell's deal is in there as well.

and, yeah, given the way the economics of the league (and the world) are headed, we probably paid too much for pominville. oh, well. at least we didn't overpay in the $6.5-7M range.

I agree in the notion of building a winning mentality ala the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Detroit Red Wings. What has always been a marvel to me is these teams have always been middle to late round drafters. Yet they find the talent where others can't.

Returning to the use of live scouts might help.

while i'm loath to respond to any talk about these two guys, i found it interesting that dave staples of the edmonton journal opined recently on the "scariest contracts" throughout the league -- with drury's and briere's among them. oh, and brian campbell's deal is in there as well.

and, yeah, given the way the economics of the league (and the world) are headed, we probably paid too much for pominville. oh, well. at least we didn't overpay in the $6.5-7M range.

5 for 5 damn you! I know it's coming sooner or later. :thumbsup:

Archived