The NHL injury reports are a joke...

LabattBlue

I'm not sure if it is Lindy, Darcy or the NHL, but these reports are a joke...

http://www.wgr550.com/Local-kid-to-play-to...anders-/3562802

"...Craig Rivet is going to see the doctor tonight to see if he can continue playing or if his shoulder will keep him out another two weeks."

So he is either ready to play or is out another two weeks? :blink: :blink:

From the same article...

"Tim Connolly was back skating with his teammates today, but Ruff doesn't consider him close."

WTF does that mean? Two weeks? One month? Two months? Done for the year?

I'm not sure if it is Lindy, Darcy or the NHL, but these reports are a joke...

http://www.wgr550.com/Local-kid-to-play-to...anders-/3562802

"...Craig Rivet is going to see the doctor tonight to see if he can continue playing or if his shoulder will keep him out another two weeks."

From the same article...

"Tim Connolly was back skating with his teammates today, but Ruff doesn't consider him close."

WTF does that mean? Two weeks? One month? Two months? Done for the year?

I thought the same thing. TC we know Ruff is not going to take any chances, any more with him but a little time estimate would be nice. On Rivet, word is they don't want to bring him back until he "can play his game" - okay so that means ????? Not to mention Gerbe (upper body to mean whatever we decide I guess) who was tossed around like a ragdoll on his last two outings and Goose taking a puck that has him out? None of it makes any sense except for TC, who is perpetually injured anyway...

Lindy said in one of his pressers that the doctors had chosen that strategy. He would be evaluated every two weeks until he is ready. I sort of understand the theory, but think that once a week would be better.

Lindy said in one of his pressers that the doctors had chosen that strategy. He would be evaluated every two weeks until he is ready. I sort of understand the theory, but think that once a week would be better.

Those are interviews not the official NHL injury reports.

Yeah to add to all this subterfuge now Goose is on retro'd IR with an upper body injury.

What is the thinking on some of these decisions? I thought I heard players on IR salary's might not be counted against the cap but then why do that with just Goose and not Conolloy and Rivet then and gain a little more room? Is it something like; only if you have said players insured(know no insurance company would underwrite Mr. Glass) and can get insurance to pay salary while they are on IR?

There has to be some rational behind some of these moves I'm just not seeing. e.g. I know there's also some rules around call up's from minor's how many, when, etc.... ?? Can any enlighten oh fellow board members ???

Yeah to add to all this subterfuge now Goose is on retro'd IR with an upper body injury.

What is the thinking on some of these decisions? I thought I heard players on IR salary's might not be counted against the cap but then why do that with just Goose and not Conolloy and Rivet then and gain a little more room? Is it something like; only if you have said players insured(know no insurance company would underwrite Mr. Glass) and can get insurance to pay salary while they are on IR?

There has to be some rational behind some of these moves I'm just not seeing.

Goose was retro'd to IR to free up his roster spot so that Kennedy could be called up. It is retroactive to December 17 and is a minimum of 7 days, so he can come off of it at any point. It is a very common "on paper" shift. I believe that Connolly is already on IR, as is at least one other player (Rivet or Gerbe, I believe), because otherwise we would have way too many players (we currently have 27 players on the NHL roster, so at least three of them must be on IR.) As for whether or not it counts against the cap, does it really matter? We have huge amounts of cap space and it would still count against our internal budget, which is really what's important. For the record, though, I believe that you only receive a cap cushion for LTIR, which is why most teams won't spend right to the cap.

Goose was retro'd to IR to free up his roster spot so that Kennedy could be called up. It is retroactive to December 17 and is a minimum of 7 days, so he can come off of it at any point. It is a very common "on paper" shift. I believe that Connolly is already on IR, as is at least one other player (Rivet or Gerbe, I believe), because otherwise we would have way too many players (we currently have 27 players on the NHL roster, so at least three of them must be on IR.) As for whether or not it counts against the cap, does it really matter? We have huge amounts of cap space and it would still count against our internal budget, which is really what's important. For the record, though, I believe that you only receive a cap cushion for LTIR, which is why most teams won't spend right to the cap.

Thanks, that makes sense. I can see it's a bit of a game with the retro option that now allows them to count it towards the minimum. Actually pretty creative use of the rules to their advantage... kudo's to their creativity..

Kind of refreshing to see the Caps' injury report in English:

Injuries: Donald Brashear (leg), Sergei Fedorov (ankle), Tomas Fleischmann (flu), Mike Green (shoulder), Tom Poti (groin) and Alexander Semin (back) are day to day; John Erskine (concussion), Brian Pothier (concussion) and Jeff Schultz (broken finger) are out.

What, they aren't afraid when Schultz comes back, an opponent will slash his hand? No "upper body appendage" injury?

Lindy continues to embarrass himself in this area.

Meanwhile, the fans suffer because they want to know what's going on, and arguably deserve to know. The players suffer because in a vacuum of information, people start making up sh*t (see Connolly). The media suffers because it loses credibility when it knows what an injury is but won't say, as if they are working for the PR staff of the team. Gaustad with an "upper body," as reported for a long time in the News now. A joke.

Archived