Steve Bernier

Buffalo Fan

Something I should have asked (or didn't see someone else ask), but why did the Sabres dump him and not someone else who has been here for a while...is Max seriously not worth what we got for Bernier? How about Kotalik?

I am starting to think that Ruff is hurting the trade value of some of our guys. He has been turning nothing (for the most part) into something for so long.

Something I should have asked (or didn't see someone else ask), but why did the Sabres dump him and not someone else who has been here for a while...is Max seriously not worth what we got for Bernier? How about Kotalik?

I am starting to think that Ruff is hurting the trade value of some of our guys. He has been turning nothing (for the most part) into something for so long.

Didn't we have to give him up to get draft picks that got us Rivet?

Didn't we have to give him up to get draft picks that got us Rivet?

From the way it looks they were separate trades (from an earlier GDT this season):

No, at least as far as I can tell.

Buffalo traded Bernier to Vancouver for Vancouver's 2nd-round pick in 2010 and LA's third-rounder in 2009.

Buffalo traded their own second-round pics in 2009 and 2010 for Rivet and the Sharks' seventh-round pick in 2010.

Sure they weren't directly related. But something tells me the trade wouldn't have been done if we didn't have the 2nd and 3rd in our back pocket.

The picks were pretty similar but just different enough that I am sure they were separate deals that worked out so that they appeared to be directly related.

I tend to think that the Sabres were definitely looking for a Rivet-type defenseman and were exploring those possibilities and at the same time looking to deal a winger to free up some room up front, give themselves a little more cap flexibility (be it from the league cap or their own internal cap) and pick up a prospect or draft picks. DR found a seller in SJ and a buyer in VAN and right now is probably looking to deal Max for a 2nd round pick in 2009 so they aren't shut out of the second round (unless they already had another 2nd rounder in their pockets.)

I would think that the Sabres did try to move someone like Max but Vancouver didn't want him and asked for Bernier. I'm sure the Sabres would have rather dumped Max then Bernier. At least Bernier has upside, Max is a waste and has been for awhile.

Ruff's job is not to increase trade value of his players, that is Regier's job. Every day Max is still a Sabre hurts his value.

There is obviously more than meets the eye with Bernier. Out of shape, lazy, coach killer, who knows?? He certainly played himself off the Sedin line pretty damn quick.

One side note...Bernier's unbelievable Sabre debut was against tonight's opponent, Nashville. I was at the game and really thought we had something special. I wonder if San Jose would have traded us Setoguchi and the 1st rounder instead? :rolleyes:

Have we been watching different games for the last week? Max has been solid.

Max has worked hard and dipsy-doodled well, but with the exception of the Pittsburgh game, he has still had crucial giveaways and poor defensive coverage. A lot of people felt that he played extremely well in the Bruin's game. He played better, but was very much involved in one of the Sabres' goals against. In fact, after the game, Lindy said that Max played better, but "it can't be a goal against every game". Even after the Penguins game, Lindy admitted that he wasn't sure he was going to play Max that night, but was happy with his game. In Montreal, though, it was back to the same Max. He's played hard all year -- you can't fault him for lack of effort -- but he doesn't play smart.

Archived