Mistake regarding Stafford's waiver status

Barnabov

Mystery solved:

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

So, he was 20 for compensation purposes and 21 for waiver purposes.

Actually, that is incorrect. That line you quoted is specific to the draft. Previously undrafted 21 year olds are free agents and no longer eligible for the draft. That is the exact intent of the section you quoted. 9.2, the one I quoted earlier, is what is considered for waiver purposes. Again, the Sabres media staff did some poor research there.

Buff News:

Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier cleared up Stafford?s waiver status prior to the game. Stafford would have to clear waivers if Buffalo decided to send him to Portland, contrary to a News story Thursday.

The collective bargaining agreement states that players who sign contracts at 20 years old, as Stafford did, can be sent outright to the minors within three seasons if they?ve played less than 160 games. Stafford has played 117 games.

However, Regier said because Stafford turned 21 in that first season (his birthday is in October), Stafford qualifies as a 21- year-old, even though he signed when he was 20. In that case, he has to clear waivers after 80 NHL games.

For the love of God, wouldn't it be easier just to go to sabres.com and actually believe what they say there?

A suggestion in this thread that Darcy needed to call the league for "clarification" was hilarious!

I guess we need this thread after all. What else would lighten my day?

Archived