Spacek

wonderbread

Even if you trade Tallinder, something I think is very possible, if you assume they will be willing to go to a cap hit of $52 million, and you assume that you can get Sekera for the $1.5 million I laid out earlier, and Free is right it may be low, you still won't have enough room to fit Spacek and add a veteran forward, hopefully a center.

Right now they have 41.125 comitted to 12 players. If you figure on .850 for one kid, .850 for Kaletta, 1 million for either Stafford or MacArthur, 1,5 mill for Sekera and .850 for Weber, that gives you 46.175 for 9 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies. Put another 3 million for 3 third and fourth line forwards and a seventh d-man and you are at 49.175. Even of you trade Tallinder, I believe the choice comes down to Spacek or a number 2 center.

And remember, my figures for Stafford and Sekera are extremely conservative.

But if you subtract Tallinder's $3.25MM (in a trade, say, for a 2nd-round pick and/or a prospect) and pay Spacek about the same amount, aren't you still at $49.2MM or so? Giving you about $3MM for our new forward/center?

Right now they have 41.125 comitted to 12 players. If you figure on .850 for one kid, .850 for Kaletta, 1 million for either Stafford or MacArthur, 1,5 mill for Sekera and .850 for Weber, that gives you 46.175 for 9 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies. Put another 3 million for 3 third and fourth line forwards and a seventh d-man and you are at 49.175. Even of you trade Tallinder, I believe the choice comes down to Spacek or a number 2 center.

For anyone interested, here's our current position for 2009-10:

post-1053-1225121088_thumbjpg

Edit: added salaries (note: Weber's salary includes his bonus.)

Edit 2: anybody know the year-by-year salaries for Miller's and Pommer's extensions?

But if you subtract Tallinder's $3.25MM (in a trade, say, for a 2nd-round pick and/or a prospect) and pay Spacek about the same amount, aren't you still at $49.2MM or so? Giving you about $3MM for our new forward/center?

Tallinder's cap hit is only 2.56 million. You would have to convince Jaro to sign for less (which he may consider if there is no market), still count on TG being willing to go to $52.5 million and hope that you can get Sekera and Stafford to sign for the low figures laid out.

Tallinder's cap hit is only 2.56 million. You would have to convince Jaro to sign for less (which he may consider if there is no market), still count on TG being willing to go to $52.5 million and hope that you can get Sekera and Stafford to sign for the low figures laid out.

While it may be nice to get another veteran forward added to the mix, I don't expect it will be a huge priority next year as the core will be 1 year closer to / further into their prime and they will most likely want to find spots for Kennedy and Gerbe. Assuming they bring Peters back, and I see no reason right now to expect they won't, then right now they already have 13 players I'd expect to see in the forward ranks next year (Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Paille, Hecht, Poms, Kennedy, MacArthur, Gerbe, Kaleta, Goose, Mair, and Peters. Ellis probably will not be an expensive re-sign if they plan on having 14 forwards. If Ellis isn't back, the 14th slot would be a cheap one or held open (very inexpensive). Looking at what they already have in-house, I don't see any of the "big 3" UFA's back next year. (Wow, do I know how to go on a limb or what. ;) )

Darcy is on record as prioritizing goalie, D, center, wing. Spach brings a lot to the table and is considered a leader on the team. I'd expect he could get re-signed for 3 years for $4MM or less. IF that assumption is correct, I'd expect to see him back after Hank gets traded. If Hank stays, then I'd agree w/ you and expect Spach goes elsewhere. I don't see the Sabres bringing back both of them and still keeping to their self-imposed budget. It'll be interesting to see if they bring Teppo back once again or if they decide to add both Weber and Butler to the mix. Either way, I see Paetsch as the official 7th D-man after signing a fairly inexpensive deal in the off-season.

In any case, I don't see the Sabres pursuing a veteran 2nd line forward. And going w/ a full 23 man roster, I am estimating them at just over $53MM (cap hit) w/ Spach and no Hank.

I think next year's defence will look just like this years defence. After Weber, the farm kids are still too young to throw into a full-time NHL job. Nummy will re-sign another 1 year deal at probably 1-2 mil. The only difference being whether Spacek re-signs or not. I think they may not re-sign him unless it's short and not too pricey. But, Weber looks to be ready. I also think they will extend Tallinder and Lydman because as Lindy says, they like what to know what they got...and they know what they got with those two...unless you can find someone that you can trade for that is better...but I don't really see that happening. If they keep up the trend of good D which seems to have been getting a little less disciplined the last couple of games, they will keep who they have.

Hey, I'll be quite pleased if Butler is good enough to be top-6 next year. It just would be a pretty drastic change from the way they've operated in the past. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how this year plays out. Also, I do think Teppo will be back next year if he's playing as well at the end of this year as he is playing now. There certainly won't be an economic incentive to replace him with Butler, since he (Teppo) doesn't make that much now.

I'll also note that I think Sekera will cost quite a bit more than $1.5MM per year. He's an RFA after this year. He could easily end up leading our team in ice time. If we have a good playoff run and he keeps playing well, he's at least a $3MM per year player.

As for how Spacek fits in, Inky nails it.

Wasn't Kalinin an early bird from the minors?

Archived