Tampa Bay already realized their defense sucks

Two or less

Tampa will be just fine... It takes time to get all those new pieces playing together. They remind me of the '07-'08 Rangers. Took a little time to gel and they were pretty steady the rest of the season. Tampa clearly has the O-talent. Is it enough to overcome their D? I suspect yes..

Tampa will be just fine... It takes time to get all those new pieces playing together. They remind me of the '07-'08 Rangers. Took a little time to gel and they were pretty steady the rest of the season. Tampa clearly has the O-talent. Is it enough to overcome their D? I suspect yes..

What Tampa has is a sloppy mess. They went out and got a bunch of guys with virtually no chemistry together. They almost blew up their entire team but they still didn't adress their two biggest needs--goaltending and defense. Expect them to be in the lottery next season.

What Tampa has is a sloppy mess. They went out and got a bunch of guys with virtually no chemistry together. They almost blew up their entire team but they still didn't adress their two biggest needs--goaltending and defense. Expect them to be in the lottery next season.

Defence I agree with, But Goaltending??? They brought in Smith from Dallas last trade deadline, and Kolzig this offseason to back him up. I would hardly call that a need anymore

The key to TB this year will be that the offence is going to have to put up big numbers as their goaltenders will be facing alot of shots and they will need to be sharp

Defence I agree with, But Goaltending??? They brought in Smith from Dallas last trade deadline, and Kolzig this offseason to back him up. I would hardly call that a need anymore

The key to TB this year will be that the offence is going to have to put up big numbers as their goaltenders will be facing alot of shots and they will need to be sharp

Agreed. They are, at the very least, improved in net over most of last year, and still have some very good offensive players. Defense (we spell defense with an "S" around here, apus ;) ) will probably continue to be a concern, considering they didn't do a lot to upgrade the blueline.

Sounds familiar.

QFT

They goaltending situation is still uncertain. Smith struggled in Tampa last season, and Kolzig is on his last legs. If Smith can't make the jump from backup to starter, something he struggled with last season, the Lightning could find itself with the first pick in the draft again.

They goaltending situation is still uncertain. Smith struggled in Tampa last season, and Kolzig is on his last legs. If Smith can't make the jump from backup to starter, something he struggled with last season, the Lightning could find itself with the first pick in the draft again.

Considering how porous the Lightning's defense was, especially at the end of the season when much of that team was in "run for the bus" mode, it isn't surprising that Smith had a couple bad games. He did finish 3-10, 2.79, .893 in his 13 games with Tampa, but in such a small sample the numbers can easily be skewed by a couple bad games.

It will be interesting to see how he responds to being the no.1 and the heavier workload, since he's never played more than 23 games in one NHL season.

Melrose was also calling out the teams "stars"

Said his best line was Grattons "shut down" line, and that it was too bad he couldn't play them all game

In all honesty, I really thought Lecavalier played very good. He drove to the net hard, and had a couple good chances on the Saturday game vs NYR. Lundquist was playing stellar and I think that was the difference.

QFT

I see them having a similar year to what we had last year, scoring a lot of goals, but still losing a lot games due to a high number of goals against.

Hopefully, the adjustments made by the Sabres on the blueline will change our story for this year.

Agreed. They are, at the very least, improved in net over most of last year, and still have some very good offensive players. Defense (we spell defense with an "S" around here, apus ;) ) will probably continue to be a concern, considering they didn't do a lot to upgrade the blueline.

QFT

Good for you, around here we don't! :nana:

Tampa has enough very good forwards to be dangerous, but I think they have a real problem clearing their own end.

I think it could be a rough year.

Archived