Sabres Media Guide Now Out

frisky

I don't even know why they have to put it on DVD. It's pretty small. It can fit on a CD. Also, why even have hard media when you can just download it. The electrons are environmentally the friendliest out of them all.

That was fun. I started skimming that before 6pm and now just finished. haha. Good way to lose track of time. Anyways, one thing that cought my attention, besides remembering that Alferdsson scored 8 goals on us in 8 games last season, was that MSG was only airing 70 games this season. Add the versus games and it doesn't add up to 82 games. I looked at the sabres.com schedule and noticed when we go on the road, to Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose, Coyotes and Ducks games will not be on any tv. No MSG and no Versus. WTF is up with that?

I like the idea of it being a file or a CD/DVD. I have a three or four boxes of media guides from different teams and events that I've covered/worked with/for, and it's kind of ridiculous to use that much paper and take up that much space in this day and age.

Looking at the file size (24.29MB) they could have gone one better than the CD/DVD and sent out flash drives with the Sabres logo on them.

That was fun. I started skimming that before 6pm and now just finished. haha. Good way to lose track of time. Anyways, one thing that cought my attention, besides remembering that Alferdsson scored 8 goals on us in 8 games last season, was that MSG was only airing 70 games this season. Add the versus games and it doesn't add up to 82 games. I looked at the sabres.com schedule and noticed when we go on the road, to Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose, Coyotes and Ducks games will not be on any tv. No MSG and no Versus. WTF is up with that?

Those are all games out West in the Pacific time zone. It may be that there viewer numbers are so low for games starting at 10 back east that they decided to save money on those games. But, at least, they will be on radio or if you have CI you can watch the other teams feeds. Alot of the other teams have way less televised games than we do. but, MSG does treat us like a unwanted step child lumped with the Islanders and Devils and Nets.

I like the idea of it being a file or a CD/DVD. I have a three or four boxes of media guides from different teams and events that I've covered/worked with/for, and it's kind of ridiculous to use that much paper and take up that much space in this day and age.

Looking at the file size (24.29MB) they could have gone one better than the CD/DVD and sent out flash drives with the Sabres logo on them.

I know in this day and age, everyone has computers, but it was alway nice to have the media guide in hard copy. Oh well. :(

I know in this day and age, everyone has computers, but it was alway nice to have the media guide in hard copy. Oh well. :(

You're right. As a reporter I would bet it's easier to have the tried-and-true book version by your side when you're on deadline. I know when I cover most college events I get the game notes emailed to me in PDF format, but it's often easier and quicker to thumb through the hard copy they give me in the press box. I haven't had to consult PDF files for game notes or rosters, so I can't speak to whether this would be a PITA when you're working on deadline.

Now that I've thought about it more I'm really surprised they didn't run a limited production and give media the option of a hard copy, as well as keeping some for the press box.

Archived