Malone on the Move

slapshot1619

I think this is false...I don't see it anywhere

Only one reporting it is our friend Ecklund. Its vintage Eck, its logical to assume that it will happen and when it does, he looks like he broke the story. If it doesn't happen, he just moves on to the next rumor.

I don't buy it. Why wouldnt Malone test the market, as he said he would? Why would Roberts move back down to Florida when he let it be known that he wants to stay in the Northeast so he is closer to his son? Neither makes sense to me. Unless the Melrose greased mullet put them in a hypnotic trance.

I don't buy it. Why wouldnt Malone test the market, as he said he would? Why would Roberts move back down to Florida when he let it be known that he wants to stay in the Northeast so he is closer to his son? Neither makes sense to me. Unless the Melrose greased mullet put them in a hypnotic trance.

His father is now a scout for Tampa, maybe that had something to do with it.

FWIW, here is a link to a blog post by the Bolts' beat writer at the Tampa Tribune. It's pretty lengthy - with two updates in the last couple hours - and basically sounds like his sources say the sides are close but nothing has been finalized.

LINK

It's Sunday night, 7:05 and NHL.com has him as a Tampa Bay Player. I'm guessing it's a done deal.

See for yourself .....him too....

Not sure about the rules, but nhlnumbers.com had them as Tampa players, but with UFA status for 2008-09, after they originally traded for negotiation rights. Perhaps they technically traded for those players' remaining contracts (i.e., two days.) If so, then they are Tampa players in the same sense that they were Penguins last week, but a new contract could still be uncertain.

Guest Sloth

It sucks Malone is off the market. Right now, I'm hoping the Sabres can bring in Orpik and some how acquire Green. I hate getting my hopes up! I need to go w/ the idea of not expecting management to do anything. That way if they do get something legitimate done, I can be happy. If they sit around doing nothing, I won't feel bad, because that's what they've BASICALLY been doing for the past 3 seasons.

Here's the latest from the Lightning blog on TBO.com:

UPDATE 3

Just a quick update folks, it sounds more and more like this is a done deal minus a signature by Malone on the dotted line. I?m still waiting to hear for any kind of on-the-record confirmation, but a lot of what I?m hearing right now indicates that something could be reached, at least on principle, by tonight. Owner Oren Koules has been unavailable for comment up to this point, assumably because he?s been speaking to Malone and/or his agent. Speaking of his agent, Mike Liut, I?m still waiting to hear back from him tonight to see what he has to say. Keep checking back, I?m hoping to maybe get further word later in the evening.

Interesting lede to Scott Burnside's latest column on ESPN.com:

It's one thing for new ownership to promise to be aggressive in landing top-notch talent, especially in the wake of a disastrous season. It's quite another to deliver.

Whether the moves are right or wrong, the Lightning are making moves to try to get better.

It's one thing for new ownership to promise to be aggressive in landing top-notch talent, especially in the wake of a disastrous season. It's quite another to deliver.

Whether the moves are right or wrong, the Lightning are making moves to try to get better.

And to piggyback on that, here's a quote from the Lightning's new owner:

?As we said earlier this week and we are trying to prove after making our deal with Pittsburgh yesterday, we will work feverishly to improve the Lightning team for the 2008-09 season,? owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie said. ?We believe getting the Lightning a head start in the negotiating and signing process can help us secure the players we are targeting. Nothing is guaranteed here, but we hope to have a chance to get another quality player in a Lightning uniform sooner rather than later.

LINK

I'm not so sure about that "top-notch" label, but you have to give the guy credit for having a plan and putting it in motion.

Would you give General Custard credit?

Custard actually deserves a lot of credit.

Champions and winners make mistakes. Burke messed up on Bertuzzi. Business, sports, life, those that take on calculated risk sometimes screw up but they are also the one's that reap the big rewards.

You want to be competetive and aim for the conference finals, you go low risk.

You want to win the Cup, you prepare yourself to make mistakes and then move on.

Champions and winners make mistakes. Burke messed up on Bertuzzi. Business, sports, life, those that take on calculated risk sometimes screw up but they are also the one's that reap the big rewards.

You want to win the Cup, you prepare yourself to make mistakes and then move on.

Tampa doesn't generally have problems selling tickets, but if nothing else, these moves will keep people in the seats short term. That has to be a big concern coming off the season they just had.

I prefer the more calm and calculated approach to business. Teams that apply the hit or miss method don't have long term stability which is the foundation of true success. There is, as in all aspects of life, a measure of luck which is involved. The Red Wings have been the class of the NHL for some time now. Mostly due to great management. They were also lucky that Yzerman and Lidstom turned out to be the players they were.

Throwing a pile of money at players is rarely the best strategy. I can understand what the new owners in Tampa want to do. They want to make a big splash. A splash only lasts for a few seconds no matter how big it is. It's their money and they can spend it as they like. It's just not how I would approach if I were that position.

Archived