Malone on the Move

slapshot1619

I prefer the more calm and calculated approach to business. Teams that apply the hit or miss method don't have long term stability which is the foundation of true success. There is, as in all aspects of life, a measure of luck which is involved. The Red Wings have been the class of the NHL for some time now. Mostly due to great management. They were also lucky that Yzerman and Lidstom turned out to be the players they were.

Throwing a pile of money at players is rarely the best strategy. I can understand what the new owners in Tampa want to do. They want to make a big splash. A splash only lasts for a few seconds no matter how big it is. It's their money and they can spend it as they like. It's just not how I would approach if I were that position.

Detroit also wasn't afraid to take a chance on the players they wanted to put them over the top. Granted they have the resources to spend a lot more.

As for Tampa, they are not throwing a pile of money at anybody. They are being pro-active, something that would have suited Buffalo just fine if they would have understood the market.

Look at Tampa's deals. None of them are anywhere near the max that these players could have accepted. On top of that, while Buffalo sits and waits till July 1st to begin talking to Miller and Pominville, Tampa has already got a deal in place for Vinny.

Archived