Team USA Fallout Begins

PTS

Modano, probably pissed he got benched, said Team USA needs to make changes starting from the top management all the way down.

Players are already grumbling that management didn't give their team a chance to win with their player selections. I read that as players believing Ryan Miller should have been playing and the fact they decide to include geezers on defense.

3-1 odds "Walt" Tkachuk trashes the Olympic Village tonight.

I agree with Modano about management and coaching, but probably for the wrong reasons. He probably felt he should have played more. I think he should have played a lot less. The Drury and Blake lines should have play a lot more.

I wonder if Connolly will continue to improve enough to challenge for a spot on future USA squads both for the Olympics and the World Championships?

I think Timmy would be even more effective on the international size ice surface. Once upon a time Modano would also. In the '99 Finals he reminded me of Bert.

But then again I wondered why they decided it was a good move to put someone on the roster who played in the 1984 games.

Amen brother. Enough with these old stodgy Team USA guys like Chelios, Modano, and Tkachuk. I'm also glad that nutjob Roenick was left off.

Modano, probably pissed he got benched, said Team USA needs to make changes starting from the top management all the way down.

Players are already grumbling that management didn't give their team a chance to win with their player selections. I read that as players believing Ryan Miller should have been playing and the fact they decide to include geezers on defense.

3-1 odds "Walt" Tkachuk trashes the Olympic Village tonight.

I agree with Modano about management and coaching, but probably for the wrong reasons. He probably felt he should have played more. I think he should have played a lot less. The Drury and Blake lines should have play a lot more.

Here is the quote I saw from Modano: "You'ld think USA Hockey would be a well-oiled machine, but it's not," he said. "Basically, we were on our own for hotels, tickets, flights, stuff like that. Normally we wouldn't have to worry about that stuff."

Not to take away from his criticism of management, but what is the point of that quote? USA Hockey is largely made up of a volunteer organization. Don't these guys stay in the Olympic village anyway or are their egos too big to fit in the room? I'm tired of these guys playing in these games and want to go back to a team that has more then one practice together.

Here is the quote I saw from Modano: "You'ld think USA Hockey would be a well-oiled machine, but it's not," he said. "Basically, we were on our own for hotels, tickets, flights, stuff like that. Normally we wouldn't have to worry about that stuff."

Not to take away from his criticism of management, but what is the point of that quote? USA Hockey is largely made up of a volunteer organization. Don't these guys stay in the Olympic village anyway or are their egos too big to fit in the room? I'm tired of these guys playing in these games and want to go back to a team that has more then one practice together.

Nope, they didn't stay in the olympic village. But tbf, I don't think any of the NHL'ers did.

If i may interject on the whole olympic village thing:

I have a non-soprano source, very well connected with the nhl (i.e. he may or may not be affiliated with management of an NHL team) who states that the NHL players were asked not to stay in the olympic village in return for the IOC to "let it go" in regards to the nagano incident with the USA team.

Whether or not modano had to get his own way is beyond the fact. Hotel beds are all stained, no matter the cost of the room. What matters is the play of mike modano. He stunk it up along with the rest of the team (except for maybe drury and rolston). For that, mike modano should be ashamed... Well, that and his mafia funded stanley cup ring.

If i may interject on the whole olympic village thing:

I have a non-soprano source, very well connected with the nhl (i.e. he may or may not be affiliated with management of an NHL team) who states that the NHL players were asked not to stay in the olympic village in return for the IOC to "let it go" in regards to the nagano incident with the USA team.

Whether or not modano had to get his own way is beyond the fact. Hotel beds are all stained, no matter the cost of the room. What matters is the play of mike modano. He stunk it up along with the rest of the team (except for maybe drury and rolston). For that, mike modano should be ashamed... Well, that and his mafia funded stanley cup ring.

I don't even know if I had a real good point, except I thought the comment defined pompous and was a sad commentary on the type of things someone says within hours of getting eliminated.

Either way, let's get back to the NHL! I look forward to the next WC or junior tourney when I want the international flavor again!

More from pri-modano...

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino200...ov=ap&type=lgns

Modano skips out on final U.S. hockey meeting

By IRA PODELL, AP Sports Writer

TURIN, Italy (AP) -- Mike Modano packed up his stuff and left Italy on Thursday morning, skipping a final meeting with his Olympic teammates after they were eliminated a night earlier in the men's hockey quarterfinals.

USA Hockey spokesman Dave Fischer said the longtime Dallas Stars forward -- who sharply criticized team management after the Americans' elimination Wednesday -- was the only member of the 23-player squad not to gather at the arena where the Americans were knocked out by Finland.

Modano lashed out after he was benched by coach Peter Laviolette for most of the third period of the 4-3 loss.

I wonder if Connolly will continue to improve enough to challenge for a spot on future USA squads both for the Olympics and the World Championships?

He would have made it this year. But he couldn't go for 2 reason. 1-he was hurt, and 2-US was only allowed to take players that took that drug test a few months back, which the US invited like 60 nhl players, Connolly not included. They just didn't think tiny Tim had it in him to be this good.

Archived