"Persson staying in Europe"

wildcat48

Persson staying in Europe

Just last week, the Buffalo Sabres announced they had signed Sabres prospect Dennis Persson to a three-year entry-level deal.

During a press conference to announce the signing of another prospect Tim Kennedy , Sabres GM Darcy Regier commented that Persson was likely to stay in Europe for another year.

It was confirmed yesterday as Persson signed a one-year deal with Timra of the Swedish Elite League.

Link>>>>

Persson staying in Europe

Link>>>>

This was known at the time of his signing.

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)?Swedish defenseman Dennis Persson, the Buffalo Sabres? 2006 first-round pick, signed a three-year entry-level contract with the team on Tuesday.

As part of the deal, Buffalo will allow Persson to honor his commitment to play in the Swedish Elite League next season, before joining the Sabres organization for the final two years of the contract.

Selected 24th overall and listed at 6-foot-1 and 181 pounds, Persson had one assist in 21 games with Swedish Elite League?s Djurgarden, and added four points (one goal and four assists) in 21 games with second tier Nykoping last season.

The Sabres were required to sign Persson or allow him to re-enter the NHL draft later this month.

Link

So they signed him to a 3 year entry level deal, and are basically paying for him to stay playing in Europe for a year before he comes over and plays the final 2 years of his deal?

I'm not positive on this, but I thought I read that they signed him so they didn't lose his rights, but the contract does not go into effect until he comes over here to play. Same with Gogulla last year.

Hopefully someone can confirm that this is the case.

I'm not positive on this, but I thought I read that they signed him so they didn't lose his rights, but the contract does not go into effect until he comes over here to play. Same with Gogulla last year.

correct.... :thumbsup:

This was known at the time of his signing.

Link

Yes, I'm aware that it was mentioned at the signing. As such, I mentioned in the story, he was heading back, but he just signed with Timra yesterday which was the point of the story and to get DR's opinion on him staying as to coming to NA this year.

I was just going by the linked quote from the article that said he would spend the year in Sweeden and come over for the final 2 years of the deal.

It would makes sense if they had to do it to keep his rights and he is going to be a huge player, or if the deal doesn't go into effect until he comes over, or the Sabres get re-imburssed by the sweedish team for the year he is playing there

I was just going by the linked quote from the article that said he would spend the year in Sweeden and come over for the final 2 years of the deal.

It would makes sense if they had to do it to keep his rights and he is going to be a huge player, or if the deal doesn't go into effect until he comes over, or the Sabres get re-imburssed by the sweedish team for the year he is playing there

His contract expires in June 2011. They won't be paying him this year, but it will still count as a year of service. Unless he comes over to the states mid-season, and I don't know if that is allowed, the Swedish teams pays whatever their contract is for. He doesn't see a penny of the first year of his Sabres contract.

His contract expires in June 2011. They won't be paying him this year, but it will still count as a year of service. Unless he comes over to the states mid-season, and I don't know if that is allowed, the Swedish teams pays whatever their contract is for. He doesn't see a penny of the first year of his Sabres contract.

So its basically a 2 year deal with the Sabres then, and a one year deal with the Sweedish team, but his rights are still with Buffalo during that year

Archived