[OT] Baseball season discussion for Sabres fans

GoatheadInCT

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it looks like the Tribe finished exactly at .500. They had a chance at playing the spoiler against Chicago, but fell short in the last game.

Cliff Lee finished the season 22-3, 2.54 ERA, both marks being top in the AL. He deservedly earned comeback player of the year.

All in all, not a bad finish after the team looked so bad earlier in the season.

• 1 month later...
Seriously??? A thread about BASEBALL???

MODS, please PLEASE PLEASE, do not allow anymore baseball threads. Oh my god.

I'd rather talk dog shows. Please, no more threads about baseball. I just threw up in my mouth having to read that.

Totally agree. Applies to that lousy sport called basketball too!! :angry:

Not the Yankees, they are going to spend 140 million on CC Sabathia.

I don't see it happening. CC likes to hit, and if he can get a deal close to what the Yanks offer and stay in the NL, that's where he'll go.

I don't see it happening. CC likes to hit, and if he can get a deal close to what the Yanks offer and stay in the NL, that's where he'll go.

I don't know, that may be too good of an offer for him to pass up. I don't think he'll get anything close to what the Yanks will throw at him, he was only like 16-10 last year. Even Mussina won 20 games.

I don't know, that may be too good of an offer for him to pass up. I don't think he'll get anything close to what the Yanks will throw at him, he was only like 16-10 last year. Even Mussina won 20 games.

He was actually 17-10, but he probably would have hit 20 wins with no problem if he didn't come out of the gate so poorly. He was 1-4 with a 7.76 ERA in five April starts, and followed that with a 2-3 May.

When he went to Milwaukee he was, for the most part, dominant. He was 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA in 17 starts for the Brewers. The biggest knock will be his play in big games - he was awful in last year's playoffs, and wasn't very good in his only playoff start this year.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see LA or maybe even SF get into the CC sweepstakes with a respectable offer - maybe not the top dollar the Yanks could throw at him, but good enough - and the Brewers are rumored to be making (or have already made) a 5-year, $100M pitch to keep CC.

Good to see the Yanks are right back to their free-spending ways:

NEW YORK - Free-agent season opened Friday with the New York Yankees planning to give CC Sabathia a record offer for a pitcher.

The Yankees formulated a proposal to the big lefty that would exceed Johan Santana?s $137.5 million, six-year contract with the New York Mets both in total and average, a baseball official familiar with the negotiations said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to divulge details.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was to make the offer to Sabathia?s agents, Greg Genske and Scott Parker, either on Friday or in the next few days, the official said.

New York, whose streak of 13 consecutive playoff appearances ended, also plans to make offers to pitchers A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe, the official said.

LINK

Did you expect anything less? :thumbsup:

I could have sworn there was talk about going back to the "develop our own players" method that helped the Yanks dominate in the late 90s. Guess Hank Steinbrenner is falling into the same trap that his senile father fell into - "we're the Yankees, damn it -- we'll outspend everyone else." :thumbdown:

• 4 weeks later...
Not the Yankees, they are going to spend 140 million on CC Sabathia.

Apparently it is going to be pinstripes for CC after all - and all it took was 7 years, $160 million. Recession? What recession?

I loved CC when he was with Cleveland but he proved he is not a good big-game pitcher. I think the Yankees just tied a $160M anchor around their payroll's neck.

Apparently it is going to be pinstripes for CC after all - and all it took was 7 years, $160 million. Recession? What recession?

I loved CC when he was with Cleveland but he proved he is not a good big-game pitcher. I think the Yankees just tied a $160M anchor around their payroll's neck.

I'm not so sure about CC as an elite pitcher and 7 years is along time. But, OTOH he is the best pitcher by a mile from the junk they have right now, depending on how the Wang comes back from his injury.

Starting lineup may look like this, which, if they all stay healthy (and that's a big if), could be a nice lineup. Hopefully Joba will improve more in his starting role. He did struggle some last year as a starter.

1. CC

2. Wang

3. Petite

4. Joba/Moose

5. Moose/Joba

I'm not so sure about CC as an elite pitcher and 7 years is along time. But, OTOH he is the best pitcher by a mile from the junk they have right now, depending on how the Wang comes back from his injury.

Starting lineup may look like this, which, if they all stay healthy (and that's a big if), could be a nice lineup. Hopefully Joba will improve more in his starting role. He did struggle some last year as a starter.

1. CC

2. Wang

3. Petite

4. Joba/Moose

5. Moose/Joba

That'll be tough considering Moose already retired and Pettite has said he will as well. And Wang will be the ace, not CC. We're making a hard push for Burnett as well. Oh, and the poster who made the comments about "growing their own talent", that doesn't count for starting pitchers... :blush:

I just don't see CC as the big-game pitcher they want, and I think if he doesn't figure out how to perform in the playoffs, he's going to get eaten alive in NYC.

That'll be tough considering Moose already retired and Pettite has said he will as well. And Wang will be the ace, not CC. We're making a hard push for Burnett as well. Oh, and the poster who made the comments about "growing their own talent", that doesn't count for starting pitchers... :blush:

Apparently not.

That shows you how much I pay attention to baseball during hockey and football seasons. I did just hear though that the Yankees are very close to signing Burnett now. I think that maybe Petite would stick around if Burnett is signed so he can get another shot at a Championship. I'm surprised Moose retired seeing the year he had last season. They could have used him as a nice option coming out of the bullpen next year as a long reliever when they needed one.

That shows you how much I pay attention to baseball during hockey and football seasons. I did just hear though that the Yankees are very close to signing Burnett now. I think that maybe Petite would stick around if Burnett is signed so he can get another shot at a Championship. I'm surprised Moose retired seeing the year he had last season. They could have used him as a nice option coming out of the bullpen next year as a long reliever when they needed one.

You don't take a guy who is 30 wins from 300 and make him a long reliever.

Well wtf is he retiring for then? I don't know if he's got 30 wins left in him. I was surprised at how well he actually pitched last year.

He just had 20 last year, you don't think he has 30 more in him? I think he definitely does.

Here's a good look at why Mussina is retiring, particularly this:

Mussina's logic in retiring now is that he really felt like that if he was going to continue playing, it was going to be because he would pursue 300 victories -- and with 270 wins, he felt that realistically, he probably would have to pitch three seasons to get those last 30 victories. And he did not want to pitch three more seasons, not at a time when his youngest children are beginning to play youth sports and he can coach them.

Archived