[OT] Baseball season discussion for Sabres fans

GoatheadInCT

He just looks like Manny Ramirez up there, except without the machinations- does he really care anymore? Is his heart really in it? Tough to find out, but if he keeps going like this, he'll be traded for sure.

I really hope it is an undisclosed injury, a la Borowski, and not something mental. I al so think they need to find a hitting coach who can work with him one-on-one and settle him down in the box.

The question on trading him is who would take him, and what could we get in return? He's got a pretty decent but not overwhelming salary ($8M/year) but he's poor in the field, so that rules out most NL clubs, and his struggles have been going on for the better part of a season and a half.

He's just an average SS who has more power than most, and it shows. I can't trust him on a week to week basis because he gets into a rut and seems

to forget how to hit like you said. Blake is and always will be a great reserve player, and nothing more...

Jhonny's defense always left a lot to be desired, IMO, and like I said, I question either his mental preparation or his baseball acumen. He seems to be clueless sometimes. I'd rather see him as a third baseman, given his poor range, but apparently they tried that a couple springs ago with disastrous results.

Like I said, wait and see if he does it against quality offensive clubs... that's the true test!

There's not a whole lot of teams that are lighting it up offensively right now - Boston and the Angels are the two hottest hitting teams (1-2 in average and 2nd/8th in HR) but Lee will get his shots at the White Sox, Tigers and Angels before the season is over.

When Sizemore went down and didn't play, it is no wonder that they failed to score a run for him- without Grady, the Indians looked VERY

pedestrian on O!

This team sucks offensively. I'm disgusted watching them right now. 2 runs on 8 hits. Can't do a damn thing with RISP and if the pitching staff doesn't hold the opponent to 1 run or fewer, we're in big trouble.

Time to make some sort of move and get some life in this offense. Fire a hitting coach, promote someone from AAA - ANYTHING.

As far as I am concerned, Hafner is pretty much done as a force, and I would have nothing to do with him this season after he BURNED me last year. He's about as good as Ryan Garko is as of now, and that is very sad.

The Indians helped me out last year in the second half with Peralta and Blake and Garko, but they will go though periods like this in which nobody really stands out.

I can't wait to find out if Cliff Lee is for real or not- his test is coming soon!

IN OTHER NEWS, my Buccos finally unloaded Matt Morris but then call up the WRONG guy... Sean Burnett should have been called up. Waiting to win is

wearing on me! <_<

Lee has another solid outing tonight - but he finally got touched for a couple runs. Still went 6.0, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 K in the win. Lee struggled a little in the 6th after sitting on the bench during the Tribe's 5-run, 40-minute 5th inning.

Not surprisingly the Tribe puts up 8 runs with Hafner on the bench. Things that make you go hmmmm...

Lee has another solid outing tonight - but he finally got touched for a couple runs. Still went 6.0, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 K in the win. Lee struggled a little in the 6th after sitting on the bench during the Tribe's 5-run, 40-minute 5th inning.

Not surprisingly the Tribe puts up 8 runs with Hafner on the bench. Things that make you go hmmmm...

Like I said, by far the top offensive teams, the Red Sox, Angels, Rangers, and Tigers, are still out there for Lee. They have scored 40 more runs than the teams below them at least, and I'm still not convinced. I'm still going to choose an Aaron Cook or a Ryan Dempster over Lee because I have more faith in them by track record.

Hafner will end up being traded, just like Andruw Jones, for teams will not put up with players who do this for 2+ years- patience wears thin. I could easily see it happening.

I'm a Pirates fan, but my gf is a big Indians fan- I get all the news I can handle... Do you see how badly Adam LaRoche is doing for us after I posted his numbers??? You think Hafner is a problem... and we put up 13 runs against the Mets with only ONE HIT by LaRoche- that's it. I hate the guy's game, and can't wait for him to leave. We could have kept Sean Casey if it hadn't been for our moronic EX-GM!!!!

Like I said, by far the top offensive teams, the Red Sox, Angels, Rangers, and Tigers, are still out there for Lee. They have scored 40 more runs than the teams below them at least, and I'm still not convinced. I'm still going to choose an Aaron Cook or a Ryan Dempster over Lee because I have more faith in them by track record.

Hafner will end up being traded, just like Andruw Jones, for teams will not put up with players who do this for 2+ years- patience wears thin. I could easily see it happening.

I'm a Pirates fan, but my gf is a big Indians fan- I get all the news I can handle... Do you see how badly Adam LaRoche is doing for us after I posted his numbers??? You think Hafner is a problem... and we put up 13 runs against the Mets with only ONE HIT by LaRoche- that's it. I hate the guy's game, and can't wait for him to leave. We could have kept Sean Casey if it hadn't been for our moronic EX-GM!!!!

Welcome to the "we could still have Sean Casey" club. BTW, you're welcome for Brian Giles - bet you're glad we took Rincon off you hands.

Welcome to the "we could still have Sean Casey" club. BTW, you're welcome for Brian Giles - bet you're glad we took Rincon off you hands.

I missed those winning seasons when he clubbed 30, 40 home runs and then FADED off into oblivion- I think he might

have been on the juice or something... so in essence, we really didn't succeed. :blush:

I missed those winning seasons when he clubbed 30, 40 home runs and then FADED off into oblivion- I think he might

have been on the juice or something... so in essence, we really didn't succeed. :blush:

You guys definitely got the better end of the deal. Thanks to that deal Indians management is now petrified about trading everyday players for pitching, even if it is an established closer.

You guys definitely got the better end of the deal. Thanks to that deal Indians management is now petrified about trading everyday players for pitching, even if it is an established closer.

I figure the only way to really get the 'better end of the deal' is to make something out of it, and the Indians did while the Pirates did not. You all had more salary freed up in which to sign players and be competitive, while we traded him away again for Jason Bay, who is doing the same thing Giles did and we STILL aren't doing much of anything. I guess perception is everything...

It sucks to be a Pirates fan only going on history- now I know what being a Dolphins fan feels like...! :w00t: :w00t:

I figure the only way to really get the 'better end of the deal' is to make something out of it, and the Indians did while the Pirates did not. You all had more salary freed up in which to sign players and be competitive, while we traded him away again for Jason Bay, who is doing the same thing Giles did and we STILL aren't doing much of anything. I guess perception is everything...

It sucks to be a Pirates fan only going on history- now I know what being a Dolphins fan feels like...! :w00t: :w00t:

When we gave up Giles we didn't have room for him - he was our 4th OF. So we didn't really free up any money or anything, and Rincon wasn't great for us. I know we dumped him on Oakland for a guy who didn't pan out, so I wouldn't say we got the best end of the deal.

Best part of your post? That Cleveland fans are seriously talking about trading for Bay - and giving up even more in the process.

When we gave up Giles we didn't have room for him - he was our 4th OF. So we didn't really free up any money or anything, and Rincon wasn't great for us. I know we dumped him on Oakland for a guy who didn't pan out, so I wouldn't say we got the best end of the deal.

Best part of your post? That Cleveland fans are seriously talking about trading for Bay - and giving up even more in the process.

I'm just saying as far as the end result- umpteen losing seasons in a row versus the gold standard of low payroll ball.

I know the trade fell through before the season started, and I wasn't happy it did- I feel as if he really doesn't help us as much as better infielders would or a quality starter.

These frigging Indians are pissing me off to no end. Another 1-run performance by the starting pitcher and middle relief, blown by this piss-poor offense (one run tonight) and another frigging blown save. You have got to be kidding me. :wallbash:

BETANCOURT SUCKS!!!!

I feel better now. He killed me in Roto this week. :(

That was a total BS inning.

I am so over this crap already and it's only May 1st. Hafner has been awful for the better part of a year, 1/3 of the lineup is a near automatic-out every time they bat, and the bullpen has reverted to 2006 form. Fantastic.

EDIT: As I type this Kobayashi gives up a solo shot to Richie Sexson, and we now trail in the 10th. Awesome. <_<

I am so over this crap already and it's only May 1st. Hafner has been awful for the better part of a year, 1/3 of the lineup is a near automatic-out every time they bat, and the bullpen has reverted to 2006 form. Fantastic.

EDIT: As I type this Kobayashi gives up a solo shot to Richie Sexson, and we now trail in the 10th. Awesome. <_<

Well, at least you didn't lose to WASHINGTON today... :censored:

Grady draws a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the 10th to tie the game. One out, Blake at the plate, bags full of Indians...one of my favorite :rolleyes: Indians has a chance to win it...

EDIT: Good job, Casey. Way to swing at three bouncing splitters in the dirt...you suck.

Ummm...It did confuse me because I live in the Cleveland area and work with a prominent news org in NE Ohio and haven't heard anything to the effect of him "hitting the bong" this season.

The speculation was generated by reports of increased pizza deliveries to his home. :thumbsup:

The speculation was generated by reports of increased pizza deliveries to his home. :thumbsup:

:lol:

Not that you can call most of the stuff around here "pizza"...

You need to take a trip to Youngstown to get some REAL pizza, AKA the "Home of the Ohio Italian-American"!!

MMMMMMMM :ph34r:

I've only been to Youngstown once, to cover a HS football playoff game late on Friday night. So I didn't get a chance to explore the area much...

A lot of the stuff around the Cleveland area is pretty bad.

I've only been to Youngstown once, to cover a HS football playoff game late on Friday night. So I didn't get a chance to explore the area much...

A lot of the stuff around the Cleveland area is pretty bad.

I'll take your word for it- I haven't been there since I saw the Indians play the Tigers back when Detroit was the worst team in the league and set records for futility- and the WON because Wedge wouldn't walk Dmitri Young!!! :sick:

Archived