[OT] Baseball season discussion for Sabres fans

GoatheadInCT

He does not seem like the kind of guy who would excel at this.

No idea if this is accurate or not, but if it is, that just means he'll fit in perfectly with 90% of the fathers involved in youth sports.

Apparently it is going to be pinstripes for CC after all - and all it took was 7 years, $160 million. Recession? What recession?

I loved CC when he was with Cleveland but he proved he is not a good big-game pitcher. I think the Yankees just tied a $160M anchor around their payroll's neck.

Not to be a guy to provide facts in the midst of the typical Yankee bashing...and yes I agree the yankees WAY overpaid here, but they did lose a LOT of $ off their books this year

...but they did lose a LOT of $ off their books this year

Wasn't the plan to keep the money off the books? I'm glad they are spending, it almost certainly means in 4 years they will suck again, unfortunately we'll have to put up with them being competitive for the next few years.

BTW, I hate the fact the the Red Sox are talking to Texiera. Shipping Lowell out of town to make room for him would be classless.

Not to be a guy to provide facts in the midst of the typical Yankee bashing...and yes I agree the yankees WAY overpaid here, but they did lose a LOT of $ off their books this year

I know they did, but honestly I think that's a moot point. They've already added $22M/year to their payroll, and are talking about adding some combination of AJ Burnett, Derek Lowe and/or Ben Sheets. Plus I find it hard to believe that they will stand pat with their positional players. A couple signings and they'll be right back in the neighborhood of last season's record $220M payroll.

Wasn't the plan to keep the money off the books? I'm glad they are spending, it almost certainly means in 4 years they will suck again, unfortunately we'll have to put up with them being competitive for the next few years.

BTW, I hate the fact the the Red Sox are talking to Texiera. Shipping Lowell out of town to make room for him would be classless.

If they ship Lowell out I hope the Indians are first in line. We need a third baseman badly.

Why did they trade Blake and what happened to that kid they got from the Sox?

Blake sucks and was about to be a free agent, so they got something for him before they lost him outright. (Although there is talk that the Tribe might pick him back up, which is a huge mistake, IMO.)

EDIT: Looks like the Dodgers re-signed Blake to a 3-year deal. This Tribe fan breathes a huge sigh of relief.

I assume the kid they got from the Sox you are referring to is Andy Marte, who came over the Coco Crisp deal. Marte just hasn't shown enough consistency to unseat the less-than-spectacular Blake (one of Eric Wedge's go-to guys) so now the Tribe is looking to upgrade at least one infield spot. They may get a new 3B and keep Peralta at SS and Asdrubal Cabrera at 2B, or they may acquire a middle infielder and move Peralta to 3B, where he can hurt us a little less defensively.

Want Lugo? :rolleyes:

:lol:

Probably not. Although I wonder if that is still the plan, since they got 2B Luis Valbuena from Seattle in that three-way deal. That might be enough to push Cabrera back to his natural position (SS) and make Jhonny the 3B.

That'll be tough considering Moose already retired and Pettite has said he will as well. And Wang will be the ace, not CC. We're making a hard push for Burnett as well. Oh, and the poster who made the comments about "growing their own talent", that doesn't count for starting pitchers... :blush:

I was stationed in Okinawa in 88-89..Where abouts are you???

Archived