RIT's Simon Lambert signs pro contract

Claude Balls

I know I saw something about Lambert either on this board or somewhere else, so this may be a re-post.

From The Brighton-Pittsford Post.

Forward Simon Lambert, a four-year member of the RIT men's ice hockey team from 2004-'08, became the second Tiger to turn pro in a week, as he signed with the Victoria Salmon Kings of the East Coast Hockey League last Wednesday.

Teammate Matt Smith signed with the South Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL last week and scored his first professional goal on Tuesday.

Victoria is an affiliate of the Manitoba Moose of the AHL and Nashville of the NHL. That seems a little strange because I know Manitoba is Vancouver's farm team.

Lambert is tied for third in the country with 51 points, 21 goals and 30 assists in 37 games. His career stat line from RIT is 63 goals and 89 assists for 152 points. I wonder if Buffalo knew anything about Lambert. He has the raw talent and consistency to have a good chance to make it to the NHL. I'm pulling for the kid.

Speaking of Vancouver. they know how to run a farm system the right way. They have veterans like Mike Keane and Nolan Baumgartner mixed in with the younger guys for that veteran leadership. These guys get groomed pretty well for the NHL before they even get there.

I would love to see guys I went to school with play for the Sabres, that would be very cool. I wish they would scout RIT, there's a lot of good talent here. Steve Pinizotto signed with the Capitals last year and plays for the Hershey Bears. And Smith is in the same organization as Steve. Now our boy Lambert is in the pros too. It's very cool to see guys I've walked past on campus going pro. B-)

Lambert is tied for third in the country with 51 points, 21 goals and 30 assists in 37 games. His career stat line from RIT is 63 goals and 89 assists for 152 points. I wonder if Buffalo knew anything about Lambert. He has the raw talent and consistency to have a good chance to make it to the NHL. I'm pulling for the kid.

Actually 5th in the nation (the NCAA tourney counts), but still impressive. Being a Hobey finalist will be something he'll always remember.

The Sabres are well aware of the kid, especially given the fact that he is essentially playing locally. Now I'm not trying to tear the kid apart, but given the fact that he signed with an ECHL team, he was never under serious consideration by any NHL team. That doesn't mean he won't make it someday, but he's got a long road ahead of him if he wants to get there.

Carp, you wouldn't be the professor suing the Sabres because I piece of plastice fell on him?

My attorneys advised me not to discuss the case ... uh, I mean no, of course not. ;)

(I think he is from/teaches in Buffalo.)

I teach in the College of Business.

Damn, now I have to watch what I say a little more; maybe it's good that the server crashed ...

Count me in as another RIT alum, MET 2004. It is nice to actually have a D1 program to root for. Of course all the good stuff happens after I graduate. I have been in the Gordon Field House once, and that was for the graduation ceremony.

Count me in as another RIT alum, MET 2004. It is nice to actually have a D1 program to root for. Of course all the good stuff happens after I graduate. I have been in the Gordon Field House once, and that was for the graduation ceremony.

I'm hoping they get the new hockey arena up before I graduate. At the rate I'm going though, my 5 year might become a 6. :unsure:

Archived