Any support for San Jose this year?

Chief Enabler

Considering Grier, Brown and Soupy scored last night. I'll admit to pulling for San Jose to make the run. I have watched Thorton since his draft here in Boston and it would be nice for him to finally step up. Our draft pick would suck, but that is the least of our problems.

Personnally, I am leaning towards Montreal/San Jose. <_<

I'll be a little torn about supporting San Jose if we don't make the playoffs. Curtis Brown was always one of my favorite players - especially after he scored that playoff OT winner against Philly - and Soupy and Grier being there helps the case for backing them. But I don't want to see Jeremy Roenick carrying the Cup, and I don't want our first-round position to suck even more.

EDIT: One of my favorite in-person memories from the Sabres' history:

xzpttcAw0mI

First round exit = higher Sabre draft pick!

This draft is loaded so I hope the Sharks tank.

Exiting in the first round would just switch the pick by 3 spots. They would pick 26th instead of 28, 29th or 30th.

It is my understanding that only the four finalists have their position in the draft adjusted by playoff performance.

Exiting in the first round would just switch the pick by 3 spots. They would pick 26th instead of 28, 29th or 30th.

It is my understanding that only the four finalists have their position in the draft adjusted by playoff performance.

Best to lose in the second round then. :D Sharks can win in the first.

I usually pull for the Nucks.....old habit.

Well, a bit of a dilemma. If the Sharks win the Cup our pick is just the last pick in the first round. But, you know what? I am kind of pulling for the Sharks. With three ex-Sabres, and hopefully a future Sabre in Marleau (yeah, I know I'll keep dreaming), I want to see them do well. It's bittersweet that the Sharks are playing this well, they haven't lost a single game in regulations since Campbell got there. I'm happy for him, and I'm kind of pulling for the Sharks. And, if he stays in the Western Conference, then we'll see him less and not have to worry about him destroying us. I'm pulling for the Sharks, though as they are a fun team to watch, fast, and very good scorers. And watching a Thornton pass is beautiful.

Normally I would, but I'm going to stick by my rule of not supporting any team that hasn't already won a cup to get one before Buffalo does. Plus as X pointed out, an early exit by the Sharks equals a higher draft pick for us. I think that I'll root for Anaheim to repeat.

I'm with you there too.

Campbell lifts the cup for the long suffering fans of the San Francisco Bay region?

No thanks.

Why does anyone care about where that first pick ends up? Remember, draft picks aren't sure things, or atleast that was the rationalisation when it came to debating if the Sabres should let Vanek become an Oiler for 4 of them

AS for the Sharks winning the cup, they do look like the favorites. And yes it will be another Southern franchise that wins before Buffalo, but I guess they just want it more, and it shows, they do what it takes to win, not hoping that some rule changes will come back and the league will adapt to them again, instead of evolving with the game and adapting

Why does anyone care about where that first pick ends up? Remember, draft picks aren't sure things, or atleast that was the rationalisation when it came to debating if the Sabres should let Vanek become an Oiler for 4 of them

This draft is exceptionally deep....while usually only a handful of picks are sure things...5 spots could make a heck of a difference should somebody fall. Why not hope for every advantage.

If the Sabres do not make it, the lesser of evils in the Cup finals will be Washington - San Jose. Been in DC a long time now, and the Caps are a fun team to watch. I had Caps seasons tickets long time ago, and my kid is a big OV fan.

San Jose for reasons mentioned above

I've adopted SJ since we're out. But, other than Brown-Grier-Soupy, I lived there for 7 years so it's like a second home. As for their first-round pick, after the first 3-5 players in the draft, I think even though this year's crop is better than most years with kids who likely have a higher probability of panning out, I don't think it will have much impact since the talent is probably comparable after picks 1-5. I just hope they pick wisely and pick kids who we can develop into good players. Equally or slightly more important, IMO, besides picking decent talent is the development years after you pick them. We've shown that with good development and guidance (Randy), the right kids can be groomed into good NHL players even when they're lower round picks (Roy, Pominville, Gaustad, Sekera, Weber, Miller, etc.). Looking back at past first rounders just for the last 10 years (Kalinin, Heisten, Kryukov, Novotny, Ballard, Paille, Vanek, Stafford, Zagrapan, Persson, Brennan). It's pretty hit and miss. Out of any particular draft, you probably average about 1-4 kids that make it to the NHL with the average more like 2. And, alot of the times it's the lower round picks that make it. I also didn't know that we drafted Dennis Wideman with the 241st pick in '02. So, I think if we're lucky and we horde picks, we could pick out 3-4 kids to turn into NHL players in 2-4 years down the road. So, I don't think where SJ 1st pick will end will have too much impact on the future, I'm rooting for them since we're likely out.

AS for the Sharks winning the cup, they do look like the favorites. And yes it will be another Southern franchise that wins before Buffalo, but I guess they just want it more, and it shows, they do what it takes to win, not hoping that some rule changes will come back and the league will adapt to them again, instead of evolving with the game and adapting

Wasn't the entire point of that argument is that the draft is a crap shoot at times. When you hit on one that turns out to be a 40 goal scorer you don't let him go. The point was never to devalue the draft. After all, that Sabres are loaded with their own draft picks. I for one am excited about what the Sabres may be able to do in the draft. If they can convert Max into a mid round pick and maybe Connolly into a late round pick? This could be a very important draft for the Sabres.

This draft is exceptionally deep....while usually only a handful of picks are sure things...5 spots could make a heck of a difference should somebody fall. Why not hope for every advantage.

I thought about last year when Angelo Esposito dropped to Pittsburgh later than expected. I would be willing to deal one of our first rounders plus baggage like Mac Arthur for someone who can play right now out of the wrapper. But, part of me thinks if we get anyone in the top 5 like Vanek again it would be a short financial marriage.

(Alot of big defencemen in the top 20 from what I see) :unsure: heavy on Canadian kids as well.

Wasn't the entire point of that argument is that the draft is a crap shoot at times. When you hit on one that turns out to be a 40 goal scorer you don't let him go. The point was never to devalue the draft. After all, that Sabres are loaded with their own draft picks. I for one am excited about what the Sabres may be able to do in the draft. If they can convert Max into a mid round pick and maybe Connolly into a late round pick? This could be a very important draft for the Sabres.

I think we can get a player for Max. Not an all star but a defensemen who can play the body and stand up for his goalie. He is only a season removed from 75 points in 80 games give or take a few. Some team will give us a player to help our team right away. As for Connolly, he is a local, my guess for his next contract is it will be loaded with incentives.

I thought about last year when Angelo Esposito dropped to Pittsburgh later than expected. I would be willing to deal one of our first rounders plus baggage like Mac Arthur for someone who can play right now out of the wrapper. But, part of me thinks if we get anyone in the top 5 like Vanek again it would be a short financial marriage.

(Alot of big defencemen in the top 20 from what I see) :unsure: heavy on Canadian kids as well.

Ahhh, I remember it just like it was yesterday when we all were going on about how "the General" was ready for the NHL and how guys like Peters were keeping him off the roster, now he is trade bait/baggage

Then it became Kaleta who needs to stay up, and now Weber and Sekera who are being thought of as the top defensive pair for the Sabres next year be most. I wonder how long til they are trade bait/baggage too

Ahhh, I remember it just like it was yesterday when we all were going on about how "the General" was ready for the NHL and how guys like Peters were keeping him off the roster, now he is trade bait/baggage

Then it became Kaleta who needs to stay up, and now Weber and Sekera who are being thought of as the top defensive pair for the Sabres next year be most. I wonder how long til they are trade bait/baggage too

Sure, I'll go there. Looking at our list of potentials, I doubt anyone is even interested in the General. Kotalik/Max/Timmy is probably more like it. But, hey someone took Novotny. :rolleyes: I've drank enough of the grooming kool-aid, I am just expressing what I would like to see. I dont care if we get one starter out of the whole draft. Studs not Duds!

Only took 15 games for people to start bagging Bernier.

Macarthur has a decent set of hands and skates well. The trouble is his tweener status....not quiet a top 6 and not quite edgy enough for 3 and 4 line duty. Some more upper body strength would help.

Man, these threads get derailed fast. I honestly have no idea which thread I'm reading anymore because by the time I get to the bottom of the first page or into the second page it again becomes how management sucks, the players on this team suck, we need different players, etc. Every single thread looks the exact same on this board these days. We should just have one thread on the board because every discussion turns into the same thing.

I'm rooting for the Sharks in the Western Conference, for what it's worth. Campbell's been red hot since joining them. Good for him.

Man, these threads get derailed fast. I honestly have no idea which thread I'm reading anymore because by the time I get to the bottom of the first page or into the second page it again becomes how management sucks, the players on this team suck, we need different players, etc. Every single thread looks the exact same on this board these days. We should just have one thread on the board because every discussion turns into the same thing.

Thanks for the new signature. Classic! :D

Archived