OT - Tax Time!

FogBat

I thought Ohio was bad, but 18 is much better than I thought. We do have to deal with these ridiculous RITA taxes (Regional Income Tax Authority) where we get charged taxes based on where we live and where we work (if we work outside of Cleveland proper.) Last year my wife's office was based in Independence and we live in Broadview Heights, so we paid Independence and Broadview Heights taxes as well as Ohio state income tax.

Looking at that chart I think a move back down South might be in order...

I thought Ohio was bad, but 18 is much better than I thought. We do have to deal with these ridiculous RITA taxes (Regional Income Tax Authority) where we get charged taxes based on where we live and where we work (if we work outside of Cleveland proper.) Last year my wife's office was based in Independence and we live in Broadview Heights, so we paid Independence and Broadview Heights taxes as well as Ohio state income tax.

I've been through Oklahoma a number of times. Pretty state. I don't think I would mind it that much (except for the tornadoes). Gas is, shall we say, cheap down there as well.

I knew that NYS was going to be up there. The fact that Connecticut is the only state above NY speaks volumes. 20 years ago, they didn't even have a state income tax. Another reason for upstate NY to break away from that "ball and chain" known as NYC/LI like West Virginia did from Virginia during the Civil War.

BTW, Virginia is at 17. You got me beat.

I may be wrong, but the combined fed/state burden rank has more to do with the average income of a particular state. It looks like Ohio has the 5th highest rate, but not as many folks in the highest federal tax bracket as, say Mass, who's state rate is a pretty attractive 28 ranking, but 7th overall.

One thing - where in NYS is the sales tax 4%?

I may be wrong, but the combined fed/state burden rank has more to do with the average income of a particular state. It looks like Ohio has the 5th highest rate, but not as many folks in the highest federal tax bracket as, say Mass, who's state rate is a pretty attractive 28 ranking, but 7th overall.

One thing - where in NYS is the sales tax 4%?

It's a product of a bygone era. I remember when it was 4% in Wyoming County back in the late 70's - early 80's. That was then, but this is now.

As for Mass., you know what they say. It's not called Taxachusetts for nothing.

And now they want to tax purchases from Amazon.com.....they want us to pay NYS sales tax for that. What a crock of crap. This state is a joke and the worst part is we all let them get away with it as they sit in Albany and laugh at us.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Everything from WNY down to the southern edge of the Catskills needs to split off from NYC/LI and become a separate state. It's a brilliant move, even though it won't fly with the downstate politicos.

Credit goes to Tom Reynolds. He originally proposed this when he was an Assemblyman. After all, when was the last time NYS had a governor from upstate NY?

Oh, and BTW. I can't seem to find any image from Yahoo! or anywhere else where Mario Cuomo was on a bumper sticker with the Three Stooges and the caption read [and I'm not shouting here], "FIND THE DUMMY."

Do I need to volunteer any more reasons why I absolutely refuse to return to NYS as a permanent abode? Can you read this, Gov. Paterson?

The whole state.

Anything over is a county assessment and revenue is split between the county and townships.

Sales tax varies from county to county in NY.

Really?! That's an interesting take on revenue collection.

Nevertheless, I feel sorry for those of you upstaters who are stuck with keeping NYC afloat while your own ship sinks.

I've been through Oklahoma a number of times. Pretty state. I don't think I would mind it that much (except for the tornadoes). Gas is, shall we say, cheap down there as well.

I knew that NYS was going to be up there. The fact that Connecticut is the only state above NY speaks volumes. 20 years ago, they didn't even have a state income tax. Another reason for upstate NY to break away from that "ball and chain" known as NYC/LI like West Virginia did from Virginia during the Civil War.

BTW, Virginia is at 17. You got me beat.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Everything from WNY down to the southern edge of the Catskills needs to split off from NYC/LI and become a separate state. It's a brilliant move, even though it won't fly with the downstate politicos.

Credit goes to Tom Reynolds. He originally proposed this when he was an Assemblyman. After all, when was the last time NYS had a governor from upstate NY?

Oh, and BTW. I can't seem to find any image from Yahoo! or anywhere else where Mario Cuomo was on a bumper sticker with the Three Stooges and the caption read [and I'm not shouting here], "FIND THE DUMMY."

Do I need to volunteer any more reasons why I absolutely refuse to return to NYS as a permanent abode? Can you read this, Gov. Paterson?

Really?! That's an interesting take on revenue collection.

Nevertheless, I feel sorry for those of you upstaters who are stuck with keeping NYC afloat while your own ship sinks.

Sorry, but you are completely out to lunch on this issue. WNY takes in far more state support than it pays in taxes, and NYC pays in far more tax dollars than it takes out in state support. It's not even close. (In fact, some NYC'ers are beating the same secession drum you are -- http://www2.nysun.com/article/70397).

As I said earlier today -- please keep politics off of this board. We are heading into 8 months of political hysteria. There are plenty of places to talk politics -- including a board at TSW if you're so inclined (although out of respect to your fellow posters, you should check your facts before you post there or anywhere else as well as change your signature, which is obnoxious and not even remotely funny). This board is about hockey.

Sorry, but you are completely out to lunch on this issue. WNY takes in far more state support than it pays in taxes, and NYC pays in far more tax dollars than it takes out in state support. It's not even close. (In fact, some NYC'ers are beating the same secession drum you are -- http://www2.nysun.com/article/70397).

As I said earlier today -- please keep politics off of this board. We are heading into 8 months of political hysteria. There are plenty of places to talk politics -- including a board at TSW if you're so inclined (although out of respect to your fellow posters, you should check your facts before you post there or anywhere else as well as change your signature, which is obnoxious and not even remotely funny). This board is about hockey.

What a bizarre symbiotic relationship. They hate each other, but they need each other. Great... <_<

Have you heard anything from the NY Times about this? They appear to have a serious amount of clout in the MSM.

BTW, what is TSW?

What a bizarre symbiotic relationship. They hate each other, but they need each other. Great... <_<

Have you heard anything from the NY Times about this? They appear to have a serious amount of clout in the MSM.

BTW, what is TSW?

They don't need each other. WNY needs downstate, but not the other way around. I think the quote in the article I linked about NYC needing water and prisons was tongue in cheek.

I don't recall anything specific in the NYT about this (and I don't read the NYT that often), but it's a pretty widely reported fact, so I'm sure it's been mentioned in the Times now and again.

TSW is The Stadium Wall -- the bills message board run by the proprietors of this board. It has a politics subforum. I'm sure you can find conversation there about NYS economics, the presidential election, etc.

Lived there. Loved it. That's one state that is underrated.

They don't need each other. WNY needs downstate, but not the other way around. I think the quote in the article I linked about NYC needing water and prisons was tongue in cheek.

I don't recall anything specific in the NYT about this (and I don't read the NYT that often), but it's a pretty widely reported fact, so I'm sure it's been mentioned in the Times now and again.

TSW is The Stadium Wall -- the bills message board run by the proprietors of this board. It has a politics subforum. I'm sure you can find conversation there about NYS economics, the presidential election, etc.

ok, ty 4 the hedz up.

I have no arguement with you on whether money flows from downstate north or the other way around. The current state of economic decay in upstate NY and the mass exit have probably make that true.

WNY does not need NYC, however. It needs to replace the industry, that used to flourish. It isn't industry specific, as the steel is dead, Kodak is dying, and GE continues to move out of state. Upstate needs to look at the population decline and do a root cause analysis for that exit. While weather might be one of the causes, I doubt it is the dominant cause. I refer back to that table, where Taxachusetts state tax rates were actually not too bad. That allows for high salaries and the thus the higher fed/state combined rank.

I have no arguement with you on whether money flows from downstate north or the other way around. The current state of economic decay in upstate NY and the mass exit have probably make that true.

WNY does not need NYC, however. It needs to replace the industry, that used to flourish. It isn't industry specific, as the steel is dead, Kodak is dying, and GE continues to move out of state. Upstate needs to look at the population decline and do a root cause analysis for that exit. While weather might be one of the causes, I doubt it is the dominant cause. I refer back to that table, where Taxachusetts state tax rates were actually not too bad. That allows for high salaries and the thus the higher fed/state combined rank.

I agree completely as to the long-term solutions that are needed. My point was simply that in the meantime, WNY is essentially on welfare, and downstate is writing the checks.

Archived