Most important off-season upgrade...

LabattBlue

More important off-season upgrade  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What is the move you believe is more important

• New #2 center to replace Connolly
    • Top 4 defensive defenseman(shot blocker, physcial, leader)

Something needs to be done, that's for sure. Other than that, my *high volume* sig sums up my feelings about this past season (and the past two eras of UFAs that have sacked our team of its top notch guys such as McKee, Grier, Drury, Briere, Dumont, etc.).

...is indifferent to board etiquette..

god says you're annoying me with that sig. Why do you have to be like that?

I didn't vote in the poll b/c I think by far the biggest need is veteran leadership. While I think we need both a center and a defenseman, I really believe that the biggest problem is not need at a specific position. We need someone who has been an important player on good teams and who has produced in big games. (For example, we need someone like the guy who scored in OT last night vs the Penguins to clinch a playoff spot for the Rangers.)

This team's problem isn't talent. It's mental toughness and grace under pressure. We don't have nearly enough, but give us a good forward and a good defenseman with those qualities, and we're right back in the hunt. If this year's team had Drury and Teppo, I think we'd be right there at the top of the East.

Oh, well. in about 3 months we'll find out whether the Sabres' management gets it.

...is indifferent to board etiquette..

god says you're annoying me with that sig. Why do you have to be like that?

Amen. Annoying on multiple levels. Please get the big font and the politics out of everyone's face.

I'm glad you're not Darcy. I like Jeff Carter but that would be to much. The rest of the NHL knows what kind of situation the Flyers are in and if they don't do anything they will still get someone who will sign him to an offer sheet and get extra picks in a deep draft. What I expect to happen is the Flyers will once again be proactive and trade his rights for picks before the begining of free agency. They may get a #1 because of the demand but not a #1 and a player, unless the player is an unknown commodity. Wouldn't it be nice to have a proactive front office? How many RFA's do we have this year?

I'm not sure that's too much. It would defnitely take at least one of the #1s either Buffalo's or San Jose's #1 pick to pry Carter out of Philly. Philly would be best served to trade Carter this year before the draft because of how deep the draft is this year. If they risk losing him after July 1st via offer sheet, then they risk gaining multiple picks for future drafts not this year's draft and who really knows how deep those drafts will be? I don't know Carter is pretty good. He leads the team in goals this year. He's a solid centerman, which this team desperately needs. If I were negotiating, I'd start with a second round pick and the absolute maximum I would do is Buffalo's #1 pick and either Stafford or MacArthur, but I'd want Philly's second round pick in addition to Carter coming back.

By the way, if I were GM, I would have re-signed Drury at 4 years $21.5 million in October before it ever became his dream to play with the Rangers. I would not have even blinked at that contract. The Rangers only became his hometown team after it became blatantly obvious that this team was falling apart and did little to re-sign his buddy Mike Grier and absolutely ignored Briere. By the way, I used to live in Trumbull, CT and most of the people in Trumbull were Whalers fans NOT Rangers fans, so I don't know where he came up with this cockamamie excuse that the Rangers were his hometown team when in reality, the Whalers actually were. And, the Whalers moved to Carolina after he went to BU, so it's ludicrous for him to even say that the Rangers are his hometown team. It's a complete lie. In fact, I believe his brother Ted even played for the Whalers. The Rangers being his hometown team was a crock of $hit excuse for him to leave Buffalo because the team was falling apart and he didn't want to be a part of it, which is a better explanation to me than the Rangers being his hometown team.

If I were GM, I would have made the offer on January 1st to Briere for 5 at $25 million, and I would have taken 4 first round picks from Edmonton for Vanek. I would have used the Drury and Briere contracts as negotiating leverage against Roy getting him to a cheaper deal. If my hand was forced on Roy, I probably would have traded him, which is a gamble I would have lost given how well he has played, but I would have hoped a healthy Connolly, Pominville, Gaustad, Stafford, and Paille would replace some of the production that I would have lost from Vanek and Roy.

But, you're right, I'm not the GM. If Darcy got Jeff Carter or some other player who will actually improve this team instead of bringing up prospects and then using video scouting for drafting making our draft picks even more of a crapshoot, then I'd stop criticizing Darcy.

I'm not sure that's too much. It would defnitely take at least one of the #1s either Buffalo's or San Jose's #1 pick to pry Carter out of Philly. Philly would be best served to trade Carter this year before the draft because of how deep the draft is this year. If they risk losing him after July 1st via offer sheet, then they risk gaining multiple picks for future drafts not this year's draft and who really knows how deep those drafts will be? I don't know Carter is pretty good. He leads the team in goals this year. He's a solid centerman, which this team desperately needs. If I were negotiating, I'd start with a second round pick and the absolute maximum I would do is Buffalo's #1 pick and either Stafford or MacArthur, but I'd want Philly's second round pick in addition to Carter coming back.

By the way, if I were GM, I would have re-signed Drury at 4 years $21.5 million in October before it ever became his dream to play with the Rangers. I would not have even blinked at that contract. The Rangers only became his hometown team after it became blatantly obvious that this team was falling apart and did little to re-sign his buddy Mike Grier and absolutely ignored Briere. By the way, I used to live in Trumbull, CT and most of the people in Trumbull were Whalers fans NOT Rangers fans, so I don't know where he came up with this cockamamie excuse that the Rangers were his hometown team when in reality, the Whalers actually were. And, the Whalers moved to Carolina after he went to BU, so it's ludicrous for him to even say that the Rangers are his hometown team. It's a complete lie. In fact, I believe his brother Ted even played for the Whalers. The Rangers being his hometown team was a crock of $hit excuse for him to leave Buffalo because the team was falling apart and he didn't want to be a part of it, which is a better explanation to me than the Rangers being his hometown team.

If I were GM, I would have made the offer on January 1st to Briere for 5 at $25 million, and I would have taken 4 first round picks from Edmonton for Vanek. I would have used the Drury and Briere contracts as negotiating leverage against Roy getting him to a cheaper deal. If my hand was forced on Roy, I probably would have traded him, which is a gamble I would have lost given how well he has played, but I would have hoped a healthy Connolly, Pominville, Gaustad, Stafford, and Paille would replace some of the production that I would have lost from Vanek and Roy.

But, you're right, I'm not the GM. If Darcy got Jeff Carter or some other player who will actually improve this team instead of bringing up prospects and then using video scouting for drafting making our draft picks even more of a crapshoot, then I'd stop criticizing Darcy.

The Sabres will go out and get some help this offseason. If/when they don't make the playoffs they will likely fall short of their profit goals and very possibly lose season ticket holders. The Sabres will need to bring in help to sell tickets/hope for the next season.

Last year the Flyers gave up a #1 pick for the rights to negotiate with Timonen(an all star) and Hartnell(I believe he was a 20 goal scorer.) What I'm saying is a #1 pick and a player that can play any phase of the game and can be a 20 goal scorer is way to much for the rights to negotiate with someone. Carter is a good young player but I wouldn't give up two players for him. Remember the going rate is a #1 draft pick for the rights to negotiate with an all star and a 20 goal scorer.

I understand your passion for the Sabres the season pisses me off too but I do think they have a good core of young players and with a couple of moves will be contending next year. The one major lesson I hope Darcy has learned from lpast mistakes is to not let the other teams negotiate your RFA's contract terms for you. Only time will tell if that lesson has been learned.

I didn't vote in the poll b/c I think by far the biggest need is veteran leadership. While I think we need both a center and a defenseman, I really believe that the biggest problem is not need at a specific position. We need someone who has been an important player on good teams and who has produced in big games. (For example, we need someone like the guy who scored in OT last night vs the Penguins to clinch a playoff spot for the Rangers.)

This team's problem isn't talent. It's mental toughness and grace under pressure. We don't have nearly enough, but give us a good forward and a good defenseman with those qualities, and we're right back in the hunt. If this year's team had Drury and Teppo, I think we'd be right there at the top of the East.

Oh, well. in about 3 months we'll find out whether the Sabres' management gets it.

We have a winner......

We have had the past 2 offseasons to see if they get it..LOLI think Campbell was the icing on the cake for me..

Amen. Annoying on multiple levels. Please get the big font and the politics out of everyone's face.

Sorry about the huge fonts. I've been upset (like everyone else) over the pathetic play of OBS throughout the course of the season. I just know that I took it too far.

The font's gone, but the jokes are staying. Too bad if you can't take jokes.

not worth it's own thread so I'll stick it here

Ruff reflects on disappointing season

After winning the Presidents' Trophy last season, the Sabres are in jeopardy of becoming only the third team since the NHL's expansion era began in 1967-68 to miss the playoffs a year after finishing first in the regular-season standings. The New York Rangers missed the playoffs in 1992-93, as did Montreal in 1969-70.

note: Rangers won the cup the next year.

edit: further investigation into how the Rangers did it (applicable to Sabres or not)

netted one less RW and D man, switched two centers and two LW, total of 15 new players in 93-94, 9 of which played in playoffs

most possible ? most importantly? got rid of Vanbiesbrouck and let Richter (92-93 back-up) play 68 games that season

Nice touch, but I really don't think it's that simple. As it is, I'm not getting my hopes up -- even if they do make it to next year's SCFs.

Archived